Ladies do you get constipated? If so what helps?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My hormones are wrecking havoc with my regularity. As I'm a fast metaboliser this really messes me up... I'm a slim woman ordinarily but currency a walking gas bomb with a pregnant looking belly ready to explode at any moment @sobs@

What helps you with this please?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I've had it really bad for a few years now.

The GP gave me several things senna (quite gentle) latchelose (may not be the right spelling) didn't do much at all and movicol. It works OK but comes in a huge box (as if there were not enough items clogging up my medicine cabinet already). It works but one sachet not enough and two is to much.

The best thing I used to use was syrup of figs tastes nice gentle and natural. But they have stopped selling it in the chemist's. You can get it online though. (I really should get some). It doesn't keep for that long and best kept in the fridge.

Pelvic floor exercise help produce one a day if I remember to do them. But I always wonder why such a small amount? Where does the rest that I would normally have done go? lol. I Have never got back to the regularity and consistency that I always had pre peri.

Also gas usually first thing when I would normally have been going.

In early peri I was always with the stomach ache with it too. I either got used to it or it got less painful.

I also have piles and quite often it's so hard to go they bleed.

I'm on HRT I can't say if it's improved I'm afraid as I'm on raspberry ketones and a bowel cleanser at the moment which also works a treat. I'm not sure how long it would be OK to take it indefinitely though.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks so much. It's so reassuring to hear when seine else is in the same boat . Peri for me too. Il look into any and all suggestions at this point smile!!

i do have he tummy ache that goes along with it too. Comes and goes. A good night sleep goes a long way but just can't sleep well anymore sad

thanks again zig

• Posted

Hi ellacraig, I, too, have always been very slim, until my hormones went haywire on me and exactly like you, i had the pregnant looking thing going on not only in my belly but all over. Unrecognizable and feeling awful had me searching for ways to lose the weight. I started reading online and cut out everything that causes the bloating. First and foremost, all sugar drinks, soda pop of any kind and processed fruit drinks of any kind, except for coconut water. Secondly,  I was given docusate, for constipation, can be found otc, I started exercising at the gym for about 30-40 minutes just walking on the elliptical machine, light weight exercises and some zumba classes when I could tolerate being in the room and last I started fasting for 16 hrs 2 days out of the week. I lost it all, thank goodness, and now since I started fasting 3 days a week, I've loss even more weight, I was a 14-16, and now I'm down to about an 8. I was a 6 when I started peri, so I'm not that far off from where I started. I feel so much better and life is finally starting to coming around where I feeling about 95% better. I'm in the U.S. so I'm not sure if they have it there in UK, but I would assume they do, it will work quite well, one pill is all you need to keep you regular until you change  your diet. One bit of info to this weight loss, drink a glass of water before eating, and you will eat a lot less, and feel fuller longer. Hope this helps.  
    • Posted

Pat, 

Have you lost weight sticking to your blood type food diet?

I was interested in your comments about this way of eating.

I'm, B+, eat lots of chicken and fish...occasionally red meat...but should now cut down on chicken!

Love Oats and anything Oaty and tend to eat oatcakes and cheese most lunchtimes...without even realising they were MY foods! Funny heh?

I'll look into it in more detail...Thanks Jx

• Posted

Hi Jane, yes, I went back to eating for my blood type, and loss a ton of weight.

For me it's no chicken, mostly greens &  fish. No cheese(which I love), milk, wheat bread or pasta. But my trick was to drink soup before eating with what would end up being a very small meal because the soup of some type, minestrone or turkey or chicken, etc. had enough stuff in it to make me full. Sometimes skipping dinner all together.

But, I also fasted for about 16-18 hours 2 days a week. Now I'm up to 3 days a week and feeling so much better because I finally look like my normal self again. 

If you're a diabetic I dont recommend the fasting part. That would be a totally different diet.

Also, I don't eat fruit at night, because you can't burn off the sugar at night when your body is slowing down. So I would avoid fruit at night.

Let me know if you have any questions about fasting or losing weight. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Pat

Yes, I read your previous post about getting down to your previous size...very interesting...I've always been interested in eating healthily, not slimming diets.

I'm a petite UK 8, but being petite means I always watch my weight because if I gain a couple of lbs...it shows on my frame.

Recently, I know I've gained a little around midriff (as we ladies tend to) and would like to lose it.  I eat very healthily, walk lots, do pilates ... so was considering your idea of eating for blood type!

I'm naturally not a big eater so do get easily full...luckily!

I'll do some more reading and give it a try...

Thank you Jx

• Posted

Hi Ella, how are you? Besides laxatives etc here's a few things to try flaxseed, pysillium, prunes..fruit or juice, oranges..fruit or juice, slippery elm powder, quinoa or chia seeds, wholemeal bread/foods, veges like silverbeet/spinach, beans, peas, cabbage also drinking enough water, walking & I've heard of abdominal massage following the position of the bowel as in gentle wave like massage up your right side across your stomach then down on your left side also good for shifting stubborn gas. Hope this helps. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks nuttynan there's a couple of new ones you have mentioned so thank you smile I get lulled into a false sense of security with natural methods then BANG hey don't work anymore or at least temporarily :s I'm predisposed to ibs anyway and anything under 3-4 bowl movements PER MORNING is pure hell to me.. Gastro dr said " don't eat fibre..." .... Well how am I supposed to poop or be healthy then :s I'm soo keen to be my next bloods done to see what my hormones are doing. At my expense of course because my dr told me I'm delusional , not in soo many words but close enough.

thanks again NN smile

• Posted

Hi ella, Psyllium husk or ground flax seed are good soluble fibers. When your doc said stay off fiber, he probably meant wheat, rye, barley and triticale, which also cause issues in my stomach, bloating and ibs symptoms. I also can't take milk, anchovies and some soft cheeses. But as well people with ibs also suffer with gluten, so go gluten free and see how that makes you feel. I'm also a big believer in eating for your blood type. When you eat for your type those are the foods you should be eating, so that your body will absorb the nutrients.  I read this book 20 years ago, when it first came out and it was on the button for my blood type. Look it up and see if you can relate to it. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks so much patra. You've reminded me to try psyllium tonight . Hopefully that will help. I must get more flaxseed too. I told the GI I was having more veggies and fruit in an attempt to be healthy and he said to stop as raw food causes gas :s

Funny you mention blood type diet. The two foods I love chicken and avocados are on the BAD list for my blood type. However I thrive on dairy for my blood type but everyone always says dairy is bad sad I'm open to trying my blood type diet to test the waters and see if it helps.. Thank you x

• Posted

Ella, I have a friend who drinks milk by the gallon, in a day! It's not bad for her blood type. She even craves it, she's also petite, and doesn't gain weight from it like I do. So do follow what's for your blood type, and stop listening to people who have no clue what your body craves and needs to take in the nutrients.

On this same token, I can't eat chicken or eggs because I feel like I'm allergic to them, but I can eat duck which I love but chicken makes me feel weak, go figure that one out. It's listed as one of the foods I shouldn't eat so it's all good.

As for raw veggies, depends what it is, I can't handle some but other I do well eating them, test and see which ones work and which ones don't. I can eat celery all day long but I can't eat Kale, it makes me so sick I end up at the ER and yes, I only buy organic.  However, if they don't give you gas then eat them and don't worry about it. But if you get gas then of course, blanch them. Hope this helps. xx

• Posted

No, I'm not B type, but if you are then you need to avoid chicken, lol. . You do really well with exercise, and meat is not your bestfriend. The list to your diet says to avoid, corn, wheat products, lentils, tomotoes, sesame and peanut butter. I'm sure there are more but this from a small list I found on the net. You can probably eat these but in small and less then often quantities. I encourage you to find the book, what's on the net looks limited. Take care, Pat xx
    • Posted

Ah yes chicken and avocado is esp bad for me as with tomatoes and guess what I consume at least one of if not all three daily.... You guessed it!

Funny mine says dairy is good but a hair analysis said I'm dairy intolerant.

Well thank you, I do in fact have the compressed b type diet book. I think il look into it. Apparently lamb is good for b's and I adore lamb.

Thank you smile

• Posted

Yes, lamb, moutton, and venison for you. If you like milk, get the one with the lactase enzyme or I bought a pill that changed all that, because I was lactose intolerant as well. After taking the pills, it's specifically for lactose intolerance that you can find at your health food store, my intestines were able to handle all milk products. I'm sure you can do the same and start enjoying all the dairy products you like as well. You're welcome. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.