Lamictal and Hair Problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been taking Lamictal for a while now because I’m bipolar and I’ve noticed that my hair is thinning from the top of my head. It’s also become very coarse, very curly after having been smooth, shiny and wavy. I saw a doctor and he put me on biotin and other medications for hair loss and a hair conditioner but still my hair is falling out and still has the same rough texture. It also stopped growing. It’s negatively affecting me and I tried to stop taking lamictal but then my symptoms got really worse and I relapsed so I can’t stop taking it. I need help and I’m stuck here. What should I do? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear, I get what you mean. I took Lamictal among many other psych meds. I really hope hair is your only issue because I had so many side effects! First of all, there are a ton of mood stabilizers. They all have their side effects, but you can discuss with your doctor switching you to another one like Valproic Acid or Oxcarbazepine. 

I took biotin but it had the unpleasant effect of hair growth on other parts that weren´t my head. But there´s hope! Clean eating, with a lot of healthy fats (nuts, salmon, sunflower seeds, etc) and plenty of fruits and veggies can do wonders. And a good hair care regimen can really help. Avoid washing your hair every day (I know it sounds gross, but it really works) and go for natural, sulfate-free, paraben-free shampoos and conditioners. 

Minoxidil is a great ingredient for hair growth, so you might want to look into a treatment that has it.

I eventually quit psych meds and have been managing my symptoms with therapy and lifestyle changes (mindfulness, yoga, clean eating). It was the best decision for me, but I can´t dare to advise it because I´m not familiar with your story. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. I’ll discuss the medications you suggested with my doctor. 
    • Posted

Oxcarbazepine is a lot worse for you in terms of side effects.
  • Posted

If, you think that Lamictal works for your hair loss prevention that's good you start taking the medicine. If You find the positive results again after using the Lamictal then it's good and continue with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.