Lamictol, low vitamin b12, tired all the time constantly getting a cold

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had temporal lobe epilepsy for 17 years with about a 5 year gap with no seizures or meds. Stress and lack of sleep are my two triggers. When I was first diagnosed I was on 100 lamictol morning and night 7 years ago it came back and I've now gone up to 300 day and night. I don't sleep well at night but could sleep for 6 hours during the day. I'm constantly tired and seem to always have a cold. I was very over weight but have dropped 3 1/2 stone which I was hoping would help. My diet has improved massively. I was recently tested and found to have low vitamin b12 and was wondering if it could be related. After further tests they have said I must not be getting enough in my diet and advised me to take a supplement and sent me on my way. The tiredness has lead to depression and I feel like I can't cope any more. I'm currently a stay at home mum and feel like I neglect my child as I often am just too tired to play with her. I feel like there is more going on with me than has been diagnosed. I just want answers. I'm sick of feeling sick and tired all the time. I'm also on a low dose of escitalopram and have pcos.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey! So I am 21 I have had photosensitive epilepsy since I was 8yrs old and I recently swapped from epilim to lamictal I am on 100 a day so 50 morning and night I understand how you feel as I also had low iron and recently had the B12 injections I don't think they are related although i have also made a major change in my diet I personally don't eat a lot of meat so this could be why but I wouldn't stress out too much I know how you feel being tired all the time and especially when you have a daughter to look after as well. Don't stress yourself out to much maybe see your GP about something that might make you sleep a bit better at night and try to get as much rest as you can trust me changing your diet really does help! I was normally pretty healthy although I did have a sweet tooth but I have changed to a gluten free diet and started to do some exercise and I have had more energy than ever I didn't even feel like I had low iron until I had that blood test done which was due to me having a massive!!! Head spin I thought for sure I was going to have a seizure so I saw my GP and Hense I found out I had low iron and apparently low iron can cause short term memory loss who knew right! Like I said before get as much rest as you can and continue with your diet changes and maybe go for a walk with your daughter and see how you feel. I hope you get some answers soon ! Don't give up on yourself you are doing a good job keep your head up things will get better soon you just have to think positive 😊

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping I would be offered the injections to see if it would improve. I had a different doctor to my normal one( he is the best there and takes a good month to get an appointment!) I'm not seeing my own go until 6th June. He is much more sympathetic so I'm hoping he will let me get injections until my level has gone up then I can stay on supplements to keep it up.

• Posted

When I first went on lamotrigine (Lamictal) I also had trouble sleeping. Dr switched meds around, trial and error. Mostly errors. On lamotrigine and levetiracetam now. I don’t know if lamotrigine was the cause, but I also had a low b12 count. Dr (my GP, not my neurologist who knows nothing about vitamins) gave me b12 shots, and told me to take dissolving tablets of b12, gets into the body faster. No longer low in b12 and don’t need shots. After 5 years with very little sleep, my neurologist finally gave me zolpidem tartrate (generic Ambien). I try not to rely on it. Have stayed awake for 3 days in a row a couple of times in the past before getting the zolpidem tartrate. I also have an off and on runny nose. Related to lamotrigine????  
  • Posted

Laura Sometimes ivtamins and mineerals are not absorbd this may be   the case heree. Have you had any Vitamin B12 injections? These are usually prescribed now as a loading dose .

​There is a forum on pernicious anaemia with lots of very useful info on it. I am unable to do the topic justice  here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.