Laminectomy coming up October 7,2015 wish me luck

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a major open back surgery almost two years ago. Had spine fusion at L2- L5 . I never fully recovered and always had a cane for balance. I do groceries leaning on the shopping cart and still perspire quite a bit when finished. I did weaned off the percocets and now only take advil every so often, so in that respect, the surgery was helpful. Two months ago I went to a new doctor with my new Obama Insurance, and the doctor took one look at my skinny legs, my numbness and foot drop on both feet, and was quite surprised that my surgery had been done 2 years ago and he thought there was something else wrong with me. He sent me to a neurosurgeon who took one look and started ordring all kinds of tests...from MRI's, X-Rays, Ct Scans, and much more. None seemed to expose what he was looking for. So, he ordered a CT Myelogram, in which a radiologist injects a fluid into your spine and they shake you to make sure it travels throughout your spine. This would have been the final test, so i was quite anxious. Sure enough, two weeks later, he showed me the problem. A complete blockage in L1. They call it Spinal Stenosis, which simply means a narrowing of the spinal canal in which your main nerve is 'choked' and creates all the symptoms I have.

The leg numbness, horrible tingling in both feet ( I take Gabapentin 800 mg) for this. Pain in my right buttock and what else can I tell you that you all don't already know??? So the day is coming up to add a second scar to my back which already has a 13 in. from my previous fusion. But all in all, I sure am looking forward to some relief.... wish me luck and say a prayer for me on October 7th, 2015... I promise to keep you all posted on my recovery!  Oscar7835

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oscar,

I hear ya, I can't believe you were only on advil. I wouldn't of been out of bed. Good luck and hope to hear you have some good news will come out of your surgery. Speedy recovery.

Cindy(Connecticut)

• Posted

Thanks Cindy, God Bless...
    • Posted

Oscar,

Been going through this for 20 years n just got the spinal stimulator, n in pain right now. So I was right were you are now scared changing my mind oh I was a mess. Keep us posted.

Cindy

• Posted

So true... the surgeon already warned me that removing the vertebrae may

weaken the spinal cage and may require future fusion to stabilize my spine. 

What else is new?? Bring it on!  Zero options...right?

• Posted

You guys are too much...thank you, thank you, thank you! 

So many prayers going to the man upstairs on October 7th, 

that even He will forgive all the naughty things I've done and 

get me through this again !!!  

• Posted

Good luck Oscar.  I had a decompression surgery a week ago, site of the op still very sore of course but I am relieved to find most of the old pains have gone; they say 6 weeks are needed to feel really better, and then of course onward and upward I hope.  These modern interventions are something we can place our trust in.
    • Posted

Good morning Rob777, and thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. Can't wait to wednesday. Hope to be able to walk with my grandson if only a little more than now. Keeping in touch with the man upstairs... I wish you a Godspeed recovery. Let's keep those 'positive' thoughts coming... 

Oscar

• Posted

All the best Oscar - I am sending positive vibes across the pond ! :o)
    • Posted

Hey Karen66701 !

Thanks for the kind words... keep me in your prayers... and I wish you lots of health too..... 

Oscar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.