Lamotrigine and Levetiracetam manufactures?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to get an opinion if anyone has a preference on what manufacture of Lamotrigine and Levetiracetam that works the best for them. I’ve been taking Lamotrigine manufactured made by Taro but the manufacture has of Levetiracetam has varied; Bluepoint Labor the last few times. In the last three months, I have experienced 4 seizures, all occurring at night, and 5 sets of nightly and morning auras within 5 minutes of going to bed and waking up. My Dr. switched me to ER of both; I took them in the morning but couldn’t sleep even l though I take 45 mg of Mirtazapine before I go to bed and 10 mg of Zolpidem (Ambien) when I think I need it for sleep. I suffered insomnia night after night even after taking both Mirtazapine and Zolpidem and had to support myself against wall to make it to bed. (I can’t believe the cost of the generic ER‘s, a combined cost of $1,587 without insurance. With insurance, total $20. Coupons on the web would have brought the cost down to a total of $490 total for generics without insurance). I think the quality of Levetiractam by Bluepoint Labor was the culprit in the breakouts. My Dr. switched me back to generic Lamotrigine (3x’s of 150 mg/day made by Zydus)  and Levetiracetam (2x’s of 500 mg/day, now made by Camber). My Dr. thinks that all generics are equal to the name brand, but I think not. I read on the web that Teva will no longer make Levetiracetam (quality?) Insurance will only cover generics. The government needs to step in, but think I have a better chance of going to heaven even though I’m an atheist. Russian roulette, anyone?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The epileptic society itself says they are not. I'm in Britain and they forced a rule change as well as forcing Drs to change their thinking. The society in your country may be able to do the same but concerned patients like yourself have to contact them.
  • Posted

My ear hurts and I read somewhere Keppra causes ear problems.

Docs will not take me off them Grrrr!!

Good luck Steve !!

• Posted

Winnie, I live in America and everytime I get a refill or any other med., it always comes with sheets explaining what is used for, side effects, warnings, etc. One of the most common side effect is an infection, they don't specify the ear or any other part of the body or what to do about it.
    • Posted

Hi Steve,

I read it online, thanks for reply and keep well !!

Regards

Win  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.