lamotrigine - for anxiety? Anyone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My new psychiatrist is paring me off of Prozac and putting me on Lamotrigine for my anxiety.  Anyone else have an experience with this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like He must be feeling a change with a better medication is in order

Keep a hold

• Posted

Yes. It is a mood stabilizer. I still have anxiety though. Prozac is an antidepressant so I am not sure why he is treating you with medications that aren't for anxiety. Although am not a doctor so maybe those medications help with anxiety too. I was having impulsive behavior so the lamotrigine helped. I have been taking it for 3 years. Maybe my anxiety would be worse if I didn't take it. I say give it a try. I didn't have any side effects.

• Posted

thanks Aclaire41.  To be clear, the new doc is the one taking me off Prozac. He was the third one to prescribe me some type of anti-depressant that "can also help anxiety". Well I was on Buspar, Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, and then Prozac and none of those helped my anxiety so "can" does not mean "will" apparently.  Guess I am not wired that way because 0 for 4 has me giving up on those types of drugs.

Day 2 of the Lamatrigine

• Posted

excuse me, 0 for 5.  Still waking up
    • Posted

I have tried quite a few myself. It's hard to find the right one. I have also been prescribed propranolol. That is supposed to help with anxiety.

• Posted

day 3 and things are good.  I actually have a ton more energy to knock things out at work instead of dwelling on how much I have to do

I actually caught myself saying to myself "I am dominating this dojo" yesterday and laughed right thereafter (Family Guy reference)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.