lansaprozole

Posted , 19 users are following.

Was prescribed lansaprozole (Zoton) for reflux. Cured reflux, but caused hair loss. A headful of thick curly hair was reduced to my scalp showing through, also lost all body hair and eyelashes! Stopped taking it but haven't got my hair etc back! Can one sue the Pharmaceutical company?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all

I too am desperate to come off my medication - I think it's the side effects that are my problem, not any medical condition.

I've got diverticular disease and my consultant sent me for a gastroscopy just to see what was happening \"from the top end\" All they found was a small hiatus hernia and helicobacter pylori.

I was prescribed the usual antibiotics + omeprazole to get rid of the H.Pylori because I was suffering from a relatively short bout of indigestion. Apart from a 2 week gap immediately after taking a second dose on metronidizole (for diverticular flare up) I've been kept on omeprazole for almost 4 months. I've never had acid reflux, any oesophageal problems, and the gastroscopy showed no ulcers, but I'm suffering from bloating, nausea, hotness, discomfort, etc and it's been getting worse. I'm convinced it's the medication causing this, not any medical problem.

I went back to my doc, because of these symptoms, but he says no, I don't need to cut back, I need to take more - he's upped me from 10mg omeprazole to 30mg Lansoprazole. I know how difficult it is to get off proton pump inhibitors - I stopped taking them for three days a couple of weeks ago and on the fourth day the fire in my stomach from the acid rebound was terrible.The first time I stopped taking the omeprazole was after only a week on it, and I had no problems - I only went back on it because my doctor wanted me to be on it for 6 months?

The thought of taking a higher dose and not being able to stop has sent me into anxiety and panic attacks, so I haven't started the Lansoprazole yet. I'm not even clear what I'm supposed to be taking the medication for - I only had relatively mild indegestion. It seems to be a case of \"just in case it's acid causing the problem\" when I'm sure it's the medication causing it. Even after discussing it with him I'm more confused - I don't have any of the problems the manufacturers leaflet recommends it for and have no verified gastric or duodenal ulcers or imflammation.

Having read all these other problems people are experiencing, such as hair loss, I am in even more of a panic about starting on Lansoprazole - I want to wean myself off the medication altogether but I'm frightened about the acid rebound.

Those people who have weaned themself off their tablets - how long did it take to do and how gradually did you cut back. I'm going to do as suggested and contact a herbalist to see if they can help - has anyone else had the same experience, or has anyone found any other way of dealing with the acid rebound?

• Posted

Exactley the same, I felt as if my skin was crawling, went back to the Doc who put me on Omperazole 20 mg. Still felt bad but not as bad, but the pain from my gastritis at night got worse. Went back to the Doc who is trying something radical Omperazole 20 mg in the morning and then 300 mg of Zantac at night. Only been on this regime for three days still got the crap side effects but just waiting (desperatley) for some improvment in my gastritis.

Side effects that bad i posted this on the wrong thread first time oops

• Posted

Hi all

Just an update in the hope it can help someone else out there. I am managing to wean myself off the nexium. I take a third of a tablet (about 7mg) every third day. I get no reflux or pains at all on the first 2 days, but can feel my throat tightening, but no pains, on the third day. I am hoping to cut a bit more off the tablet and eventually be off them altogether. (Currently on 20-28 mg per week when I used to be on 420 mg per week (60 a day!))

The only way I have managed to do this is sticking to a really strict exercise and diet regime. I have lost weight and sleep on a wedge pillow.

My last endoscopy confirmed my severe reflux oesophagitus had cleared up, my valve and pipes are healthy etc. What I do have is a wheat and gluten intolerance and so I am on a coeliac diet. This has completely eliminated any IBS I had, I have no bloating, regular toileting (sorry!), no reflux and I feel so much cleaner inside.

Although I am not completely sorted yet, apparently it takes a while for the guts to grow their \"Villi\" back and I am anaemic due to a year of malabsorption. Things should kick in soon!

I can't believe how far I have come this year. I was so ill and in such agony.

If any one is struggling out there, then keep on fighting - you can win the battle!

Suze :diva:

• Posted

Hi Everyone - not sure if people are still using this thread, but thought i'd give it a go.

I was taking 30mg lansoprazole for 3 months, until last week when I started noticing my hair was falling out a lot. I had recently had it cut, so had expected my hair to feel lighter and thinner. However, over the past few days, the hair loss has become significantly worst.

My Dr took me straight off the tablets, and put me onto Cemitidine. This drug has no hair loss as a side effect. I have also started taking iron supplements as a precaution. Has anyone else used Cemitidine? Is it any good?

Are there any success stories of hair growing back?

Please let me know. I am a very worried 23 year old.

Kayley

• Posted

Hi unbelievable to find so many people suffering from the same side effects i was on lasoprazole for eight years for acid reflux two years ago went through a close family bereavement and doc increased my lansoprazole to two 15mg twice a day within two months i began suffering from hair thinning and vertigo after three mris and three bad falls and no answers i had a lightbulb moment and remembered about the increase in my pills. I reduced down to i a day went to doc and was told to stop taking the lansoprazole and was put on ranitidine and hey presto no vertigo !! clear headed !! no back Ache !! no joint pain !! and getting on with my life, i still have thin hair but hope this might also reverse so there is life after lansoprazole ps i keep a bottle of aloe vera in the fridge if the acid reflux really flares up and probiotic yogurts are a godsend .
  • Posted

unbelievable you think your taking a harmless stomach pill and you end up with another problem looking back my dad was also put on lansoprazole and he lost his hair. As for suing the company you would have to take legal advice.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

Hope you're all feeling better.  Thought I would share with you all my experiences with PPI's.  Firstly the BIG problem is they stop the absorption of vitamins, hence hair thinning, cramps, muscle pain, rashes and in my case severe heart palpitations and breathlessness and the really annoying thing is doctors know about these side affects but don't know what else to do.  But.......I have had the Linx operation and I am now in my 5th week and so far so good.  No more tablets....ever!  I am not saying it is without discomfort and initially weight loss, I have lost a stone in weight, but I have been assured that it will (if I want it to) come back again.  I was on 30mg of Zoton for 15 years as it was the only way I could control the acid but even with them I ended up with severe scar tissue at the base of my esophagus, throat problems and the enamel on my teeth was affect so I really needed to do something positive and thank goodness the Linx operation seems to be it.  I would advice anyone with this problem to investigate it.

• Posted

Hi I had all the same hair loss weight gain also loss of libido I've now been off this drug around 9 months lost the 2 stone I had put on libido getting better hair still thin but I'm hopeful all I do no is eat an apple and chalky sweets
  • Posted

PPI's stop vitamin B12 from being absorbed.  I had to stop taking it also.  Ask them to check your B12 and B6 levels.  What worked for me to improve the reflux was B1.  B complex might be a good idea.  If it works for you please spread the word.
  • Posted

Hi to all,

I had a reaction to coffee and some food from a well known fast food restaurant in December 14 which sent me to hospital with uncontrollable belching and feeling like I was having a heart attach with missed beats and then uncontrollable shaking.

Since then I have been on Omprazole to start with then Lansoprazole due to feeling like *rap constantly. I was also put on a greater dose after seeing an ENT doctor for my throat which was effected due to the reflux.

So in total I have been on PPI for around 12 months.

Within this time I have had constipation, headaches, feeling cold at times, cold flushes, anxiety, depression, feeling tired, weight loss and thinning of my hair.

So lots of what I think are side effects. Currently I sleep at an angle with lots of pillows to reduce the reflux.

I have in the past two months had sporadic pains in my stomach and cramping at times in my abdomen. I have seen a Gastroenterologist privately who checked me out and recommend a endoscopy (I had one of these last year in Feb which showed I had grade 2 inflammation in my esophagus).

My concern is the length of time I have been on the PPI. What effect is this having to me.

I am in my mid 40's have been fit and strong with a healthy lifestyle all my life. I don't smoke and hardly drink.

I am in the Armed forces and have seen countless doctors not only because of the problems, but because I have been moved around due to work.

I am very sceptical about not only the drugs but the length of time on these. It seems that my physical symptoms have got worse and would say that these are due to the drugs. I currently take 15mg of lansoprazole twice daily and gaviscon after meals but not after the Lansoprazole.

I try to train in the Gym when feeling upto it but have struggled recently.

My understanding of PPI'S is that they not only reduce the absorbstion of nutrients but can give numerous side effects.

I have read a paper recently with the author saying that people are too quickly diagnosed then given PPI and in fact in many cases people have not enough acid being produced and the problem can be related to the LES low esophagus syinctor basically the muscle at the top of the stomach that opens and closes when you eat and belch. This stops the acid moving into the esophagus which is not designed for the acid invasion.

I have another endoscopy next week and an acid measure test afterwards.

I would like to try the herbal avenue.

And ask if anyone has any suggestions please.

The other question is how long does it take for the medication to leave the body completely?

Cheers

• Posted

Hi to all,

I had a reaction to coffee and some food from a well known fast food restaurant in December 14 which sent me to hospital with uncontrollable belching and feeling like I was having a heart attach with missed beats and then uncontrollable shaking.

Since then I have been on Omprazole to start with then Lansoprazole due to feeling like *rap constantly. I was also put on a greater dose after seeing an ENT doctor for my throat which was effected due to the reflux.

So in total I have been on PPI for around 12 months.

Within this time I have had constipation, headaches, feeling cold at times, cold flushes, anxiety, depression, feeling tired, weight loss and thinning of my hair.

So lots of what I think are side effects. Currently I sleep at an angle with lots of pillows to reduce the reflux.

I have in the past two months had sporadic pains in my stomach and cramping at times in my abdomen. I have seen a Gastroenterologist privately who checked me out and recommend a endoscopy (I had one of these last year in Feb which showed I had grade 2 inflammation in my esophagus).

My concern is the length of time I have been on the PPI. What effect is this having to me.

I am in my mid 40's have been fit and strong with a healthy lifestyle all my life. I don't smoke and hardly drink.

I am in the Armed forces and have seen countless doctors not only because of the problems, but because I have been moved around due to work.

I am very sceptical about not only the drugs but the length of time on these. It seems that my physical symptoms have got worse and would say that these are due to the drugs. I currently take 15mg of lansoprazole twice daily and gaviscon after meals but not after the Lansoprazole.

I try to train in the Gym when feeling upto it but have struggled recently.

My understanding of PPI'S is that they not only reduce the absorbstion of nutrients but can give numerous side effects.

I have read a paper recently with the author saying that people are too quickly diagnosed then given PPI and in fact in many cases people have not enough acid being produced and the problem can be related to the LES low esophagus syinctor basically the muscle at the top of the stomach that opens and closes when you eat and belch. This stops the acid moving into the esophagus which is not designed for the acid invasion.

I have another endoscopy next week and an acid measure test afterwards.

I would like to try the herbal avenue.

And ask if anyone has any suggestions please.

The other question is how long does it take for the medication to leave the body completely?

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Bali2000

I have had everything you thatou have mentioned aboveansoprazole for nearly ten years and thside effects are terrible, I also have hair loss andhave been told the dgist that I will bt growack and beina womat ispecially depressing.  In deperation I went to see a consultant privately he told me about an operation that he normy ocarried out in the pr but had applied o the NHS to trial aa

• Posted

Hi Bali2000

Seems to be a problem with this website this morning, I thought it was my computor throwing a wobbly but apparently not.  Anyway I will try again and hopefully all my typing will show. I had everything you speak of and more and hair loss, which in a woman is very depressing and which has not grown back.  In desperation I went to see a consultant privately and he told me about an operation that he usually only carried out in the private sector but had applied to the NHS to trial in a Glasgow hospital (Near where I live).  It is called a Linx procedure.  A titanium band is fitted around the bottom of the oesophagus where it enters the stomach.  The band is like a little bracelet with titanium beads on it and each bead contains a positive and negative magnet, one at each end.  When you eat the magnetic field breaks and allows the food to enter the stomach and then the magnets contract, stopping anything from coming up from the stomach.  To say it is brilliant is putting it mildly.  I had the operation In June 2015 and OK the first 2-3 months were a bit uncomfortable but now I am the same as I was back 12 years ago.  No acid, no indigestion, no pain and best of all I can pretty much eat and drink what I like, though I don't drink much alcohol, the odd glass of wine but no problems with it.  Speak to your MO, my daughter is in the forces and they seem far better at looking after their personnel than civvy street 

• Posted

Avis,

Thanks for your email. I will see what the endoscopy shows this Friday then the acid reflux text first before any surgery. The doctor I am seeing (went private in the end after not getting anywhere) and refered back to the NHS with same doctor did mention the same operation. I think with sensible consideration regarding what food I eat at what time with a help from natural remedies like ginger root I would like to see what happens.

Unfortunately last year was stressful, which did not help my stomach and health at all.

But I have got on top of this now.

Question regarding the procedure you had done, did the surgeon say how long the treatment would last?

Is there any future complications at all?

Good to chat.....

Bali2000

• Posted

Hi Bali2000

​The treatment is permanent but unlike the fundoplication operation (where they wrap the top section of your stomach around the base of the oesophagus, ugh!) which is non-reversible, the Linx band can be, if necessary, removed, though from what I can gather it is very rare for anyone to have complications with it.  They have been performing this operation for quite some years now though until about 4 years ago it was only available privately so I think that fortunately any problems have been ironed out on the private patients, which suits me fine!!

​I can only say that it is the best thing I have ever had done, in the first 2 weeks it can be painful as the magnets are slow to react and it causes a buildup of food in the gullet, so you have to take tiny amounts of food at a time and chew them thoroughly and each time you swallow you need to take a sip of water to help it down, but after about 4 weeks it starts to work quite well and from then on it gets progressively easier.  I am now 7 months on and very occassionally (about once a week) I get food sticking but it soon passes and my consultant has assured me that this is normal and usually takes about 12 months to be back to normal.  It is keyhole surgery, 5 tiny little cuts, so no major stitching, again unlike the fundoplication which is major surgery, so a nobrainer really.  Just as a matter of interest, I am 5'6", 10 stone and very fit and active including logging with my partner as we burn about 60 tons of wood a year.  Unfortunately being like this does not necessarily mean you are exempt from having severe reflux and as you said, the side effect from PPI's are really not worth living with.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Avis,

Again very much appreciate your reply and honesty on this.

I have just returned home from having my second endoscopy which shows the same as 10 months ago, clear in the stomach and duedeum but inflammation Grade A in the esophagus with breaks no more than 5mm in length.

Will have the acid reflux test next and after this if required be offered the LINKS procedure. I am lucky because I live close to Exeter.

I just want to move away from the PPI, so if this means having the LINKS and that's the best option well so be it.

Hope you get back to full fitness ASAP.

All the best......

• Posted

Hi Bali2000

​Hope all goes well for you with the acid reflux tests, they are not pleasant but unfortunately they are necessary as apparently the tests need to show acid reflux.  if you have the same as me, you will have one test that they carry out in the hospital and then they fit a tube up your nose and down into your stomach which you will have to live with for 24 hours (not nice to sleep or try to eat with).  They should tell you not to take any PPI's for I think it was 10/12 days before going for the tests, again not pleasant as the acid becomes VERY painful.  Anyway here's hoping it shows a high acid reading and then you will be able to have the operation.  There is some interesting reading on the internet about the operation if you look it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.