lansoprazole not helping silent reflux

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi i started venlafaxine 5 weeks ago about a week in i started getting burning in my throat burping after everything i eat and drink so took nexium for couple weeks then went to GP he put me on lansoprazole 15mg 3 weeks still had the burning and burping so upped to 30mg ive tried eating non acidic food and only water had rennies nothing is stopping the burning in my throat ive been signed off work i think i will have to ring psychiatrist and come off the venlafaxine so fed up 😦

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

i am having similar to yourself but i'm on lanzoprazole, i too am having the burping alot still, it actually went away mostly for a couple of weeks but has returned the last few days, i feel your pain with this. mine are like lots of little burps in succession, a few seconds apart almost. they might be forced burps though not like when you let out a belch that you cannot control- if that makes sense. have you had a scope?

• Posted

hiya mine i think is silent reflux i never get heartburn i just noticed burning in bottom of my throat and burping after eating or drinking anything ive been signed off work as i cant talk for more than 30 minutes without getting croaky and it becomes painful to speak im so annoyed lansoprazole not helping im on 30mg and been eating healthy gp wants to see me tomorrow i had to give a stool sample to test for h plyori have you done that yet? x

• Posted

hey, yes I've had the pylori stool sample test which was negative but i believe there's another one SIBO which is similar, i am due to have a scope within the next 5/6 weeks, it can't come quick enough to be honest cause i just want to know whats wrong now.

I've been having really bad bloating after eating the last 3 days too, feels like i'm constantly full, it's not enjoyable at all. I am wondering if it might be the lansoprazole making me feel like this- waiting to speak to my GP tomorrow to see if i can come off them completely and maybe try omezaprole instead of the lansoprazole if i really need to take a PPI. If you're having the burning in your throat it will be some sort of acid reflux yeah, could even be gastritis because of the burping etc. have you been examined by your doctor/felt your tummy etc? I got diagnosed with gastritus but since being on PPI's i'd say its probably gotten worse for me especially the last week, i've been on them 5 weeks now. never usually suffer with gastro issues it is so annoying isn't it. also maybe try some gaviscon, i tried that and my burps did seem to settle abit whenever i have had some.

• Posted

ah right i see is a scope camera down the throat? how long was the wait for this on nhs? i havent been examined havent seen a proper gp just had a paramedic practicioner look at my throat check my temp he didnt check my tummy i dont have any other pain just constant burning in my throat and the burping and i cant talk for more than 30 mins becomes too painful this has been going on for 6 weeks now and ive been on lansoprazole a month swear its made it worse? same ive never had issues never had heartburn it only started after i began taking a new antidepressant let me know what your gp says tomorrow hopefully we both get some answers!

• Posted

Yes its the camera down throat, upto 6 weeks i'm being told, hopefully it's sooner though! yes you need to be examined, is your tummy/upper abdomen between your ribs tender? i've just been moved over onto omeprazole which i'll start tomorrow, hopefully the change will make a difference! not bloated today, feeling alot better, hopefully it was just the antacid that made it worse. i do think the PPI's can make it worse, i asked doctor if i should stop them completely and she said not to because i did have a good response at first- which i did, it did help quite a bit but never fully fixed it, they did something but not totally. your antidepressant could even be causing it, speak to your doctor or look online at the side effects of the tablets you're taking, maybe you need to try a new one!

• Posted

hey so saw the doctor he didnt examine me at all i dont have any pain or tenderness just the burning in throat but obv he cant see down that far hes changed me to pantoprazole and im weaning off the antidepressant he said if it doesnt clear up in a few weeks i will need to have a camera down my throat hopefully our change of meds will help us feel free to message if you need to x

• Posted

oh my hplyori was clear

• Posted

oh thats good, so was mien, i believe the stool test can sometimes be wrong and they can take biopsies for it at the endoscope. yes mine is about a 6 week wait i believe, i really hope the omeprazole i'm starting tomorrow works- same for you. part of me feels like even if the tablets do work i should have the scope because it might come back and at least i'll know what the actual issue is? i won't lie i am dreading it already and really panicking about it haha, hoping you feel better on your tablets too, i will post an update if i know any more 😃

• Posted

hiya seems to be helping i went back to work yesterday im a receptionist so have to talk constantly my throat is still sore and burns slightly im trying to eat healthy i take my last venlafaxine tuesday then GP said to wait a week see if it clears up if not its camera down throat. how have you been? has the omeprazole helped?xx

• Posted

sorry for the delay i'm not getting notifications when someone replies! yes i am so much better on the omeprazole i've been even able to eat a McDonalds and more of a varied diet. i am on these for another 2.5 or so weeks, i am hoping by the time they've finished i'm alot better when off them, if i can avoid the endoscopy then i will feel a bit better haha, i don't know if i should go though just to get a proper diagnosis even if i feel better off them. i am really hoping yours clears up by next week then, if not we're in the same boat for the scope 😦 xx

• Posted

oh my scope appointment has come through for next weekend 😦 really dreading it, i am almost teetering on the edge of cancelling through fear haha!

• Posted

hey so i thought my throat was getting better i came off the venlafaxine 2 days ago have been eating more varied tbh naughtier and the burning is back 😦 gp said to give a week then if not cleared up referral for endoscopy ah so yours is soon then is it a camera down the throat? hope it goes well let me know!xx

• Posted

oh no! hopeuflly yours clears itself up over the next week. I haven't came off the PPI's yet the doctor said to run the full course of 28 days on these tablets and then see what im like off them but yeah scope is happening before the tablets run out 😦 yeah camera down throat, next saturday haha gotta laugh or i'll cry with fear 😄 nah i'm sure it'll be fine i'll put my big girl pants on

• Posted

thankyou tbh its more constant now i have been stressed and eating more rubbish this week. ah were you ive been given 2 months worth of pantoprazole was on lansoprazole for month before but it didnt help. ah i hope it goes well for you are you having sedation? let me know how it goes x

• Posted

ah yes anxiety snd stress will make it worse for sure, i think aswell when you're concentrating on a symptom it takes it even longer to go! yes i was given 2 months of lansoprazole but i felt awful on them tbh they made me feel worse, i took about 6 weeks worth fo tablets and i went back to the dr a few times saying these arent working i feel worse etc, thats when she said ok i;ll send u for a scope and an abdominal scan, she swapped me over to omeprazole and as soon as i took the omeprazole i felt so much better, i've felt alot better on them, but i've already had the referral for an endoscopy now....i wish she had given me the omeprazole to start with and i wouldn't have triggered an endoscopy probably but i am torn now, i dont know what to do, i wont lie i am really panicked and so stressed baout the scope, i have terrible health anxiety and being in clinical settings makes me so worried, my BP is going to be crazy high etc i dont know if i should put myself through the stress of having it but i know i need to find out what has happened to make me need the PPI's... i don't know.. i wasn't going to have sedation no, i believe it's only a few minutes of them actually inside you and after youc an go home, if you have sedation you can't be on your own for 24hrs and theres more chances of things going wrong etc. i am rather scared haha, i will have to see how i feel on the day... i will update you! x

• Posted

omg same i didnt feel good on lansoprazole felt better when put on pantoprazole! i know its so scary having things done i had some bad cells removed from my cervix only under local anaesthetic so i think if i managed that i can do anything. just think its got to be done and wont take long at least then youl know what the cause it and they can advise what to do going forward cos the gps cant see down there so good to have the procedure done i think have you had it done yet? im still experiencing some burning not like before i might give it a bit longer to see if it settles although i dont know how long they plan to leave me on pantoprazole for they gave me 2 months worth. hope your ok!xx

• Posted

Ah no it's tomorrow morning, i very nearly cancelled this week, i am bricking it to be honest, I'm on the verge of a panic attack and i haven't slept properly either, i think tonight will be even worse, i am really so very scared. i am going to try and do it tomorrow, i really hope it goes OK. i am terrified of something going wrong/dying etc. i know it will be over very quickly, i am hoping to just trooper through once i'm on the bed, i want to get it over and done with but reading peoples varying stories online is the worst thing i could have done! 😦

• Posted

i actually had it done! i just put a post up on here in the endoscopy bit so hopefully it helps others! https://patient.info/forums/discuss/positive-endoscopy-today-w-throat-spray-no-sedation-787379

they couldn't find anything wrong with me today - the doctor said he thinks it is stress related, i have an abdominal scan on monday so maybe that will shed more light- i think it might be stress/anxiety but it could also be something like gallbladder? i am so glad i got today over with, im really proud of myself haha! how are you doing on your tablets?

• Posted

hey oh wow well done! thats good they didnt find anything i think mine is stress related too but also related to diet i get the burning when im distressed or eaten bad food i will read your post well done you did well! im still getting burning every now and then im gonna give it a bit longer if it carries on will ask for referral for scope xxx

• Posted

heya, how are u doing now? i had my abdomen scan and it was all clear, ive come off omeprazole on thursday and surprisingly i have been fine?! i actually feel better off them, my stomach isnt even tender anymore, i have no idea how this has happened, perhaps i didn't even need the PPI's to begin with?! so far so good, i even had a glass of wine last night for the first time in abot 8/9 weeks and was fine! i hope u are ok xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.