lap myo incision still draining

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I had a laparoscopic myomectomy on April 6th to remove a 7 cm x 8 cm fibroid. Had a huge hematoma at public incision. As the skin glue started wearing off I got a small opening that started draining about a weekend and a half after the surgery. Last Friday I opened it up enough to get most of the hematoma out, but it is still draining and was curious as to how long it will take to heal shut. It is not infected, looks very healthy, and have started putting medical grade honey on it instead of scarlett oil or another antibiotic. I go back to work on Monday and hate that I am going to be having a draining incision. I will be on light duty for another week after I start back to work so I don't need to worry about lifting. Other than the hematoma I can finally sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and so just that has made it all worth it. Still have random pain in my abdomen that just lasts for a few seconds, but then gone. My sleep patterns are really strange since I was napping a lot can't go to sleep before midnight or later. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Silly auto correct. Sorry about that
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, I'm sorry you're going through this. Have you spoken with your doctor about the hematoma that you took out and about your incision?
    • Posted

Yes, seen her last week and she said she would remove it, but I chose to just have it left alone. She said to keep it covered and if there was any issues to give her a call and it could take 8-12 months for my body to absorb it. She doesn't even want a follow up appointment. Wasn't very happy with the hospital either, I didn't have an ice pack on me after surgery, they removed my pressure socks before I even woke up, has me take pills as soon as I awoke instead of giving me something in my I.V. catheter. After that even though I was suppose to stay the night, the post op nurse kept telling me if I could urinate then I could go home, after 4 times of trying and finally could urinate she said to get dressed and she would have me sign the sheet for discharge. I was so mad I got dressed and left.
    • Posted

So last Thursday I opened it myself and got it drained!
    • Posted

I'm so sorry for your bad experience. I would most definitely look into going to see another doctor. About the hospital stay, I only stayed one night and was discharged early the next day. They told me the same, if I could urinate 3 times then I could go home and I was so glad because I didn't want to stay another minute. Did anyone from the hospital call you afterwards to ask about your care? I had a minlap myo and I was very surprised that I received 2 calls from Hosp and a call from my ins to ask about my care. I would most definitely call and complain. Please, I urge you to find another doctor who can help you so your not in agony. I just had my surgery on the 18th of this month so I'm still in the early stages of recovery but it is a very scary thing so I would find someone else who could help me. Again I'm so sorry you are going through this, it makes me very upset and sad that you were treated that way.
    • Posted

I spoke with my doctor at my 2 week follow up about my issues with the post op aftercare. I told her we treat the animals at the veterinary clinic I work for with more compassion, better pain management, and post op aftercare than I received at the hospital. She said she was surprised I wasn't there the following morning to receive discharge instructions or be able to ask her questions. That was all she said and her clinic never called me, not once. I received a call from the hospital the morning after my surgery, but I really don't remember or recall the conversation.

I hope you are taking lots of naps, eating healthy, walking around as much as you can and still be comfortable with no pain.

• Posted

Thank you so much for helping me by just listening! One of the things I have found out with this recovery is I am very lonely and don't have anyone that is going through the same thing. People don't understand that this surgery i and recovery isvery painful and has a long recovery!!!
    • Posted

Also, so very sorry about the typing issues!!! One of my mutts knocked my kindle out of my hands and cracked the screen :0 so I have a hard time seeing what I am writing. sad
    • Posted

you are very welcome.  I try to walk as much as I can.  It is the gas pains that are the absolute worse.  I drink my peppermint tea, do tummy rubs, take gas x,you name it, Im trying it.  I have my post op appt next week so hopefully everything looks good but I am a worrier and worry about everything.  Why am I still puffy, why hasnt the gas gone away, why do I feel fine sometimes and then other times Im so uncomfortable??? Youre right, no one really understands what we have gone through.  I had the bikini cut so it is almost like a c section cut even though Idont have kids so I guess I really cant compare.  I was told with this type of incision, that it is a long and hard recovery.  Ihate it when my boyfriend makes me laugh because man it hurts.  I sneezed one day last week and thought I was about to die from the pain, I really cried so hard!  I just found this site last night when i couldnt sleep due to these gas pains and I am so glad that I did.
    • Posted

no worries, my phone is acting stupid right now adn it bouncing all over the place so I had to get on my computer. 
    • Posted

Most of the gas accumulated in my chest so when I would take a deep breath it would hurt, but that only last about 2 weeks. Like you, I don't have 2 legged kids just the furry kind so no comparison here either, but from what I have read.... this is much worse! I was being rooted around and pulled on for 2 1/2 hours and a c-section is much quicker! ! OMG sneezing is the worst!!! Unbelievable pain. So glad I don't have allergies smile I have found out after 3 1/2 weeks that I have lost muscle mass so if you have 1 or 2 lb weights use them. I should have used mine more, didn't hurt just was lazy wink at day 7 I started getting on my treadmill for just a few minutes a few times a day and have increased my distance and speed a little every day. Will be so nice to get back on that and my elliptical and go like I did prior to this surgery! I feel like a snail going 1-2 miles an hour
    • Posted

I agree, I cant wait to start working out again so I cant wait for my doc to give me the go ahead.  I used to have a dog and have been wanting to get another but am glad that i dont have one now because I live on the third floor so I would have been unable to walk them.  I finally was able to walk up my stairs yesterday and had no pain.  I was doing maybe one flight a day and have been building up daily.  We have a gym at my job so as soon as I go back I will be in there.  I will be nervous because ive heard of people trying to do things way too soon and I most def do not want a set back so I will be taking it easy for a while.  But summer is coming up and I want to be "summer" ready.  I do have weights here and will start to use those soon.
    • Posted

Just go really light with the weights and only a few reps. Didn't pull on my abdomen at all. Have built t up a bit, but still would like more smile stairs were my issue for the first few days, but about day 5 wasn't bad at all but then again I didn't have 3 flights either! My mutts were wonderful for all of this, they made me feel loved and not so lonely through out the day. I had a lot of people bringing me food and LOTS of coloring books :0 took up braiding, coloring, and jewelry making to pass the time. I highly recommend coloring, it's very soothing wink I couldn't read for the first week since the meds made my unable to concentrate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.