Lap surgery on appendix

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi had lap surgery on my appendix 4 days ago .Still have not had a full bowel movement,are eating and drinking normally also.Have stopped my pain Meds as this may also contribute.When I go it's only small rabbit sized pellets. Been using laxatives last couple days.When should I become concerned?Or just keep doing what I'm doing and let my body work it out .

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

4 days is early days.

Too little laxatives if you have rabbit sized pellets.

hope you are drinking the osmotic non cramping laxatives, that mix more liquid in the stool by simply staying unabsorbed in intestine (do not pull out water through mucosa or cramp) to avoid rabbit pellets.

It took weeks for us to be back to normal or status pre-surgery, but we had constipation, long transit time problems beforehand due to a sagged, long colon.

All the best!

• Posted

Prune juice, coffee, Metamucil (works for both . and diarrhea), bran muffins, water, bland diet. You will be ok soon. It takes time.
  • Posted

Eating a soft diet foods that DONOT cause constipation. There also is a list of all the the foods listed online. 

Drinking protien shakes apes helps too!

Ana and Sanya have great suggestions too!

• Posted

Many thanks for your replyes.I seem to be going now.
    • Posted

Great to hear your doing better. Continue thru to the end of your heeling journey and back to normal soon.biggrin

• Posted

Many thanks for your replyes.I seem to be going now.

still sore where lap was done,any ideas re recovery time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.