Laparoscopic Oophorectomy - what to expect?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My operation to remove my ovaries and tubes is scheduled for next week due to ovarian cysts. I’ve been in a fair bit of pain for a while now so I’m looking forward to getting better. However, I know it needs to get worse before it gets better so I’m expecting to be in pain after the op. I was told to take 2 weeks off work but reading this forum, I’m starting to think I’ll need a lot longer. I’m also not sure how long it will be before I can drive. Can anyone give me advice please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aileen. It’s not as bad as you think. I just had one ovary, plus tube, plus cyst removed. I had lots of adhesions, so it took the surgeon a long time to find my ovary. I had it done at the same time as a prolapse repair, which is a far more painful surgery. Apart from the odd twinge, and having the three small cuts where the instruments went in, it wasn’t really painful at all. The only thing a lot of people complain about, is shoulder pain due to the gas they put in to allow them to see everything. I didn’t even get that, just had a lot of wind, the nurses gave me peppermint tea, but really didn’t need it.

If that’s all I’d had done, would have been over it very quickly, had steristrips over the cuts, under plasters, healed quickly too. I wouldn’t be at all worried about having my other ovary removed if necessary.

Youll feel better for having it done, painwise.

I was through the menopause so didn’t affect me that way.

• Posted

Thanks for your encouraging response, it really has made me feel better about everything, Aileen
  • Posted

Hi Aileen

I had left ovary and tube out due to a cyst in 2015. Postoperatively, my pain was mainly on my left umbilical area which I expected. The pain comes and goes like stabbing throbbing pain especially 1 day prior to my cycle...until now 2018. I suppose i equate it to "phantom limb pains" that some amputees get since one of my tube is cut. I got used to the pain that now it does not bother me. In saying this, it could be different from you and others. Wish you the best on your op.

• Posted

Hi Aileen 

I just had one ovary and both tubes removed last Monday ..I can honestly say that I feel pretty good today ..the worst was the gas that settled in my diaphragm not my shoulder ..kinda just had to pass ..then the bikini line incision was burning / stinging for a day or two ..now 10 days later I pretty much feel like myself with minor twinges .nothing to really think about ..I'm back to driving as if a few days ago and only needed Advil throughout this whole recovery

• Posted

Hi

I had both ovaries and tubes removed due to a cyst about one month ago.  I was extremely nervous but it wasn’t bad at all.  I had no gas pain only a little sore on one side.  It was done laparoscopic.  You do have to rest and take it slow. I’m feeling pretty good but I’m still not 100 per cent and I took 6 weeks off from work and I’m glad I did.   It’s a slow process.  Take the time you need.  It’s important.   Best of luck to you.  

• Posted

That’s really encouraging Danielle, thanks for replying to me, hope you’re fully recovered soon, Aileen
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience, I’ve decided to take longer than 2 weeks off work, hope you’re back to 100% soon, Aileen
  • Posted

I think it depends on the type of surgery you are having I am having laptomary and it's meant to be six weeks off but I have got the surgeon to argee to review me at four weeks good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.