Laparoscopic or laparotomy for 15 cm cyst??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a 15 cm cyst on my right ovary. (46 yrs old, no more children.) Dr says it does not appear cancerous from the images, but the ovary needs to come out plus both tubes. I have the option of doing it laparoscopic, but the risk apparently is that if the cyst ruptures and there are any cancerous cells, they could spill in the body. The advantage is that recovery would be much quicker.

Laparotomy, on the other hand, would mean a large incision and a longer recovery period including 2 weeks off work.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this decision? I don't know how likely it is that the cyst would rupture.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had a 16cm ovarian cyst removed when I was 22 which resulted in a unilateral oophorectomy. It was a laparotomy; it has been 2 years and the scar was and remains elongated but neat.

I took 2 weeks off work but in reality the first week post surgery was the most painful; the pain subsided much quicker than I thought especially in comparison to unrelated prior surgery I had.

• Posted

Thanks Roberta A. I ended up having open surgery (laparotomy) about a week ago. The surgeon said that the risk of the cyst rupturing was too great to do lapararoscopic. It turned out that the cyst was smaller than they thought - more like 10 cm. But it was an endometriosis cyst (a so-called chocolate cyst) and it was attached to my rectum so it was delicate to remove.

This first week has been pretty painful. I really can't move around much at all and there is significant pain where the ovary was - actually on both sides because they removed both fallopian tubes as well. Each day seems a bit better, just slow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.