Laparoscopic vs abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My mom is 61 yrs, she got menopause in 56 yrs..now polyps occur again and again...thrice polyps were removed, only once she got dysplasia in her test that too one year back...doc suggesting for hysterectomy...we are confused whether to go for laparoscopic or abdominal...doc said u can choose from any, money is not a matter here..we know laproscopic is an advanced procedure but heard from few ppl that they cut the uterus inside in laparoscopic surgery and then take out the pcs, at times few pcs are not removed, or the part of uterus if is stuck with skin inside, cannot be cut in the pcs and removed which later creates issues...one friend said as laparoscopic surgery is convenient for docs hence they prefer it...but abdominal surgery is full of paibs, cuts bruises...

Pls help me suggest what shud we do..is it a myth whatever I heard about laparoscopic surgery ....

Also her ovaries needs to be removed, as in usg we can see egg there..

Pls help ladies..

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Rachna,  some doctors prefer an open incision.  Other's don't.  I am 67, I had a total hysterectomy in July.  The surgeon removed my ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus using DaVinci robotic surgery, it is similar to a laproscopic procedure. All of these items were removed via my vagina.  Then, my vagina was stitched shut around where my cervix used to be.  After about 5 uncomfortable days I did pretty well.  I can't imagine that a good surgeon would leave part of the uterus inside a patient.

There is a technique called morcellation (not sure I'm spelling it correctly) that used to be used.  They would shred the uterus for easier removal.  That is usually not done now.  Ask the surgeon you see about whether they will use that method, and insist that they don't.  

An open incision can be more painful, and subject to infection.  Recovery can be longer. Each patient is different, and recovers at a different rate.

Put all your questions to the surgen, who should be willing to answer them.    

Best of luck! Let us know what is decided!

• Posted

Hi Rachna, I myself just had a Hysterectomy via Laparoscopic surgery...thru the navel &Uterus vacuumed out thru the vagina 5weeks ago...age 48yrs already had my flopian tubes removed 4yrs ago ... Hasn't been to easy as it is so hard not to do anything.... I myself have been doing way to much than I should, made a bit harder when on your own& you just like things done.. I have bleed &spotted... On &off the whole time ...which also tells me I have over did it.. As I still have alot of pain in my lower abdomen &feels like pressure in my vagina.... One week ago I had a sudden gush of dark red blood with two large blood clots... Freaked me right out hey.. The blood been dark showed it was old blood which was a good thing as you do not want to see light red blood.....means it is fresh... Doc's said with mine I may have popped a internal stitch which caused it to seep blood thru the tear.... Which caused the build up of blood... &that clotting was kind of a good thing as it did showed the bleeding had stopped which is why it clotted....As I still suffering abdomal pain &spotting also each time i have a wee &wipe there is blood... I did think it was coming from my vagina.. But I am wrong.... It is coming from my Yuretha.. In which I have realised in the pass few days... Already booked into have another Ultrasound ....this morning as well a test for Chotecystitis which is I do-not know... So I will have a update ....plz make sure you Ma Seriously rest up &lay down more that sitting also no standing for long periods don't let her be stupid Like myself.... No lifting either a kettle yes... If it hurts while doing she is doing something well she should not be doing it... Or bending over... We all recover differently... My post Op recovery has not been to good due to my own foolishness... &not resting &doing things I seriously should not have been doing...Now I am paying the price.... if your Ma does the right thing for the next 6/8 weeks... She should &praying that your Ma has a full &Successful Recovery..... I wish her well... 😊💕

• Posted

Hi Rachna, i had full hysto bacin in 2015 and it was abdominal, i was out of work for 6 weeks, it's a tough surgery, she will need a lot of help.  I couldn't even shave my legs in the shower, i couldn't lift my legs up, so my husband had to.  It took me about 2 weeks before I could stand straight up.  I think my doctor was old school. 

• Posted

Hysterectomy (uterus removal) and oophorectomy (ovary removal) are grossly overused in some countries. Not only that, the female "reproductive" organs are necessary our whole lives for good health. They have hormonal, anatomical, skeletal and sexual functions that last our whole lives as proven by medical literature.

My organs were unnecessarily removed 10 years ago (based on cancer scare tactics). It has aged me prematurely inside and out and caused a whole new set of problems.

Polyps are rarely cancerous. But a pelvic exam, sexual intercourse, or any manual stimulation of the cervix can cause bleeding or spotting. Dysplasia usually refers to the cervix. Hyperplasia refers to the endometrium (body of the uterus). Mild dysplasia and hyperplasia don't require organ removal. 

I personally wish I had done things very differently when I was told I needed a hysterectomy. I would want to see all pathology reports. Polyps are almost always benign / non-cancerous. If polyps are removed at the base (versus the stalk) they aren't apt to grow back. Some women go into menopause late (after age 60). I don't understand why presence of eggs would require that the ovaries be removed. Our ovaries are necessary our whole lives for good health as they continue to produce hormones for decades after menopause.

Best of luck in getting proper treatment for your mom, treatment that restores her health versus causing a whole new set of problems. 

• Posted

I'm 47 and on 7/26 my dr said I needed a Hysterectomy and he said at my age and all my problems we should remove everything, so 1 week later 8/2 I went in and he done the DaVinci robotic surgery. The only bleeding I had was that night ( which I only had to stay 1 night at the hospital ) and I felt fine, I only took 1 pain pill every 6 hours for about 1 week. and returned to work just 2 weeks after.

I would recommend it to any one whose having problems, good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.