Laparoscopy ovarian cyst any dvicess??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have dermoid cyst 4.6 cm and i m going to have laparoscopy on 14th April and they r going to remove my right ovary too Ang suggestion plss??

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Just take things easy when you get home. No lifting, bending or squatting etc for a while. Try to keep your bowels regular as it can cause pain and discomfort if you get constipated. Take some time off work to rest as much as poss, 3-4 weeks would be ok but longer if required. Best wishes, X rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks for ur reply ...i have a 18 months old daughter and I don't work...i don't know what should I do because I have to hold her sometime do u have any past experience ??

• Posted

If you let her climb on your knee and cuddle or change her so you don't have to lift. Hope you have some help at bedtime etc to put her in the cot or bed. Maybe she could climb up herself if not. It's the lifting, bending squatting etc which you need to avoid if poss as these put a strain on the stitches. Laparoscopy is quite a fast recovery compared with full abdomen cut so it won't be long before you can do a bit more but don't overdo things for about 4-6 weeks I was told and I had ovaries,tubes and cysts removed. Accept as much help as you're offered, gratefully! lol twisted 

• Posted

What about the pain?is there is any pain too after surgery they r going to remove my cyst and right ovary...aoo ur periods were painfull after that???can u give me some detail how was ur experience ?? Plss

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy years ago so can't answer that question You may get some pain but the doctor/hospital should prescribe pain meds for you, otherwise go to see your primary care doctors and take their advice. I doubt if it will be as bad as you are expecting, we all think the worst. I didn't have too much pain, bearable anyway. I'm 73 so can't compare with you really but I coped and still alive and kicking! lol wink  If it's so bad you can't cope, See your doctor! rolleyes

• Posted

I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I am having a dermoid removed on the 14th as well. I have two little ones and I am also a bit puzzled as to what caring for them will look like post-op. I'll be sending well-wishes your way on surgery day. You're not alone smile

In health,

Jen

• Posted

Miss usa and Jen

I hope you both are recovering well and taking it a bit easy. 

My surgery is April 25 and am starting to get a bit nervous.  My cyst which is my secound on the same ovary the right side is now 10 cm and am hoping the doctor will be able to remove that and the ovary laparoscopy vs open.  My question is how long was your surgery and did they try to get you up right away.  I know each person is different, but just asking.  Also how long did they keep in the hospital a few days or hours?  My level of pain is good so I'm hoping I can keep everyting in perspective and look on the bright spot.

• Posted

Hi Kelley,

I'm sorry that you have to deal w a second cyst. My surgery ended up being laparoscopic and only removed the cyst (ovary and tube stayed). The procedure lasted about 3 hours and I was discharged from the hospital the same day. I have been instructed to walk 4 times a day and avoid bed rest. Between the pain and the grogginess I feel from the meds, I would gladly stay in bed all day, but I'm working to keep upright and somewhat active (I think to avoid clots). For me, the anticipation turned out to be far worse than the actual procedure. Wishing you the best with yours!

Jen

• Posted

Thanks Jen,

I have decided to have my ovary and tube gone as this is my second large cyst on same ovary.  I really don't need it and I hear cancer starts in the tube and travels to the ovary, so if I can reduce my chances of ovarian cancer by 50% I will do it.  I'm also having a hernia repair at the same time so I really don't know how long surgery will be or if each doctor will work together or separately.

Take it easy with your children as each day you will feel better.

Please keep in touch!

• Posted

Hi,

I had one ovary and tube removed in January by laparoscopy.

Stayed 1 night after surgery in morning.  Not much pain and given sick leave for almost one month.

Today is 16/4 and I got my first period back... though in around Feb I experienced hot flashes at night on and off for a month or so. Feeling wasn't good!!

Today is day 1 of period since I had the surgery back in January. So far it is ok without any bad cramping. Have to see if it is heavy or normal . Will report later 

Welcome any questions. I am 45 years old.

• Posted

Hello - I'm in a similar position to you. Having my left ovary and fallopian tube (along with 10cm cyst) removed on 29th June. Could you tell me more about recovery please? Is it likely I'll hit menopause earlier and suffer hot flashes etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I can give you my experience.  I had the same surgery, however on my right side.  Mine was done laparoscopy.  The doctor made 3 small holes to place the scope.  The surgery lasted about 2 hours because I also had a couple of hernia's repared too.  I was in post recovery by 11:00am and it started at 7:30. I was home by 1pm after I had a cup of coffee and took a pain pill at the hospital.

To be honest, I was scared after reading everything that all had posted, but most of my pain came from the hernia surgery.  Yes, I feel a little tenderness in pelvic, but nothing to take for it.  I must not have had enough gas or my doctor was able to get it out because I didn't have the shoulder pain.  Yes, I did have some back pain, but I think that was trying to get in and out of bed from the hernia because it was up so high near the ribs.  I feel good after 2 weeks that I'm back to work (desk job).

If you are keeping one ovary you shouln't really go into full menopause not knowing your age, however you will feel some until the other ovary kicks back in may take a month or two.  

Hope this helps some,

Kelley 

• Posted

Hi there

I had my first period around 4 mths after the surgery. Then stopped again for 2 months and I am still waiting for it to come back.

Hot flashes back last few weeks although it wasn't waking me up like last occasion.

I m 46 and surely the operation had affected my menstrual cycle big time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.