Laparoscopy recovery time

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. I am having a laparoscopy tomorrow to see what's going on with an ovarian cyst and heavy bleeding (will also have d and c and merina fitted) I was just wondering how long people took off from work to recover. I was advised at least a week but could do with going back sooner!!

Thank you!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I would say it depends on what type of work you do. Personally I found that on the face of it I was perfectly ok to go about normal activities within a week. However a word of warning, although everything seems ok you will be surprised to find that severs weeks on you are still in recovery! I'm 3 and a half weeks post op and still have daily aching pain from the problem area, I have heard up to 6 weeks you can be like this. Also your discharge notes will say do not lift anything heavy for 48 hours but I would say try to avoid for a few weeks as the internal wounds are still weak. I pulled a tummy muscle just turning over in bed well over a week post op!

Hope everything goes well for you xx

• Posted

I thiNo everybody's different and depends what type of job you are doing. I found that I was fine a couple days out. I didn't have much pain when I got out of surgery that might have been from the help of pain killers. 3 days later I was out of hospital an didn't take any pain killers but was a little bit slow in getting out of bed an walking around. I just gave myself 2 weeks off from work. Just to be on the safe side. I do consulting so not much lifting or anything like that. Wish u all the best it's not as scary as people think. Let me know how u go.
  • Posted

Hey! 

I had a laparoscopy and a mirena inserted almost 6 weeks ago, and my recovery was pretty slow. I was on drugs that I responded very badly to for two days because no one realised, and then after that the surgeon thought my slow recovery was because I'm young and not very good at dealing with pain (I disagree with him on that bit given all the pain before the op). But yeah, I took between one and a half and two weeks to feel okay doing everything again. 

With the mirena, I'm not sure if they prepared you for the bleeding - I was told to expect it, but it really is pretty draining, and (for me at least), it goes on forever. Random spotting and stuff, it's annoying. Make sure you have enough pads to last a while. 

I hope the surgery went well, and you have a speedy recovery!! smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone! Went in yesterday, ended up having a cystectomy with a drain put in so had to stay in overnight. A mirena was also fitted.

Just home now enjoying a cuppa. Been signed off for two weeks (because of the drain I think) but hoping to go back earlier! I feel ok at mo but that's prob down to the morphine they gave me when trying to get that bloody drain out!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.