Laparoscopy Surgery was yesterday now what do I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my ovarian cyst laporascopy surgery done yesterday morning! I am now home thank god , just want some input on what's next ! Couldn't really sleep, sore , not as hungry . Any suggestions ? All help is really appreciated , thank you all and god bless!!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi wishing you a fast recoveryfrom last one I'd say sleep up right a bit .. don't try to much to soon .. If food is difficult try complan it's food drink I get strawberry one ... did they tell you much after about what they did ? .. I have mine on Monday
    • Posted

Thank you for responding Amy!! I have tried sleeping up right seems to only help a couple hours . I have no heard what they actually did I called this morning and waiting for the doctor to tell me . I just know it was successful thank god! Good luck on surgery!! Is it laporascopy as well?
    • Posted

Your welcome and thankyou .. yes I'm having one to remove a dermoid cyst and look for endometriosis do hoping they sort me out
  • Posted

It is 2 wks tomorrow I  had my  surgery,should of had keyhole but cyst was wrapped around ovary so didnt go to plan,had ovaries and tubes removed, Iam 66 so did not need them, everyday  it gets easier, for the first few days I was not hungry but better now. Still get some abdominal pain and loose stools but have read that is normal. Just take things easy, I am finding that frustrating as not used to sitting around but need time for the inside to heal.I  had my dressing changed after 5 days and took dressing off myself after 11 days and it is has healed well.I did have extensive bruising which is now disappearing..Take care and look after yourself x

• Posted

Glad your having a great recovery. They told me to change the dressing after 2 days . But I'm not sure how ? Am I suppose to do to ? How do you sleep at night btw ? Find it really hard to do it .
    • Posted

Hi brenda I'm 10 weeks after laparotomy and feeling great and back to normal. I wasn't hungry for a week- unusual for me! and lost a few lbs but my appetite soon came back.I'm 74,all abdominal pain went after went to loo - was constipated for 6 days.and still using Boots scar serum every day- says use for 3 months. It's soothing and the scar is amzing now. Like you I had a lot of bruising but that's all gone now.I found a pillow under my abdomen in bed helped a lot. Just don't lift anything heavy altho I can lift my new gt grandchild at last! Good luck maria and amy x
    • Posted

Thankyou sylvia ..One bit I'm not looking forward to is that I won't be able to pick my 10 month old son up ...thease sites are amazing for support and advise
    • Posted

I had to make an appointment with the nurse to have mine changed, as for sleeping it was uncomfortable sleeping on my side but is getting better now
  • Posted

Hi Maria. Glad surgery is over for you and that they managed to do it by laparoscopy rather than laparotomy.  Did they manage to save your ovary. I do hope so.  Best way to change your dressing is by taking the old one off in the shower, dab dry with a clean flannel and then reapply new dressing.  Try to sleep whenever your tired if you can't sleep at night.  It is very hard to get comfy but hopefully it won't be too long before things settle.  I had laparotomy for both my ops last year, so not too sure how yours feels and when it gets easier.  Just keep resting and don't do too much xx
    • Posted

Unfortunately they weren't able to save my ovary but my right one was able to be saved. Ok so I can change it ? They said 2 days but wasn't sure I I can be use they didn't tell me to make and appt or anything .
  • Posted

hi Maria I had my surgery 3 weeks ago.i had a large cyst,ovaries and the tubes removed.im 46 years old.you really just need to rest up for a couple of weeks and most importantly no lifting.someone on here advised on drinking plenty of water before and after the surgery and I can honestly say that was great advice.keep hydrated,sip water throughout the day to flush your system through.another tip that I would give is to maybe take some sort of lite laxative,as the painkillers made me constipated.my bowels wanted to open 3 days after my surgery but I was constipated,which was very uncomfortable.my other half went and bought me some milk of magnesia and I managed to open my bowels properly after a few hours.i can honestly say I was absolutely terrified as I've never had surgery before and my biggest fear was the pain,but I was really looked after in the hospital (oaks colchesters) .in my experience I would describe it as being more as horrible discomfort than pain.i managed to get in the car and drive after 2 half weeks,however I still can't walk very far at the moment.the bottom of my road to the shop and back and that's it.im not in ny pain just a little bit sore.hope this helps.x

• Posted

Hi Theresa- that's exactly the advice I would have given. I can relate to all that. I was in pain for 6 days ,finally went to loo and the pain all went- was nothing to do with the op,but cos I've never been constipated before I didn't realise how awful it can be. !0 weeks after a laparotomy and feeling great. Back to walking,gym,swim and today gardening. x
    • Posted

Hi Sylvia,I think it's a real shame that the hospitals don't give a little advice on becoming constipated after taking the painkillers.im not sure why they don't do this as nearly every woman I've spoke too thats had this kind of surgery seems to become constipated.on the whole I never suffer with constipation but was warned by my niece who suffered after having a c section.i think that was the most uncomfortable part for me.glad to hear you are back to normal after 10 weeks as its given me a lot of hope as I thoght it would take months for my insides to fully heal. X

• Posted

Hey Theresa so glad your feeling better!! I'm 2 days post op and thankfully was able to go to the bathroom without any problems yesterday since I had some prune juice!! I'm still waiting a call from my doctor and want to take a shower but not so sure about my dressings! They told me to change it after 2 days but not sure how to go about it ? Any suggestions
    • Posted

Hi theresa- I stopped getting twinges of pain which were only on my left side after 6 weeks and nothing since so reckon I was all healed then. x
    • Posted

Hi Maria,I didn't have keyhole I was cut open as the cyst was too big.i had dissolvable stitches.i could shower straight after my op as the dressing which was put on was waterproof.it was very much like bubble wrap.i had to change the dressing after 7 days.i had to take the old dressing off,shower then pat it dry,and just place new dressing on. can you not ring the hospital and ask them? That's what I did.when I was discharged they gave me a number to ring for any advice I may need x

• Posted

I changed it yesterday and seemed fine thank god!! No drainage or anything . Only question I have is did you vaginally bleed ? I'm bleeding since wed it's not as bad not like soaking up the pad or anything but it is blood .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.