Laparoscopy to Diagnose Possible Endo

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have a laparoscopic surgery scheduled for next week, 3/21 to hopefully diagnose the source of my ongoing pelvic pain.

I was wondering what to expect of the surgery and the recovery. I know it varies from person to person but I have no idea what to expect.

My birthday is April 7th and I have the chance to visit my deployed boyfriend in Hawaii. However, this is 2 weeks after my surgery and I am wondering if this is something I would be able to go do?

Thanks for any answers, I am so nervous!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,

I agree with the other user, do check with your doctor as it would be the best way to go.

From my own experience, I had to go overseas on two 5hour flights, with a 3hour stopover for my granddads 90th birthday, 15days after my surgery. My doctor had told me it would be fine when I was planning to book my flight and when we were sorting out surgery dates, although she did mention that if I took a bad turn and I was not recovering well, then she would tell me not to fly, and I would have to cancel my tickets. If you do go ahead with booking, be ready to cancel for your own health's sake incase you're not 100%.

The first week after surgery was brutal for me, as I ended up being allergic to my pain meds, and I couldn't sleep at all. Other people I know have been fine, so just make sure they give you the correct meds if you know what works on you.

I was an emotional wreck because endo was the worst case scenario for me, and I know it does not stop you from having kids, but it makes things difficult, and to know it would come back and that I would have trouble having kids when I want a big family, was just so hard to hear. But after years of going round and round, it was so good to finally know what the heck was wrong with me. 

When resting, have someone around you on day 1 and 2 just incase of anything, also to bring you food and water, and because they can help you get up. Trust me, you don't realise how much your stomach muscles work until this. Your stitches might be a bit itchy, but do not scratch them at all!!! Have a list of movies/tv shows ready since you're going to be in bed, or on the sofa majority of the time, and keep things as easy for yourself as possible from beforehand.

By day 4/5 I was alright, and I ended up going to my friends wedding (which I would recommend wearing a loose dress if you plan to do anything in the first week, because my stomach was swollen and it looked terrible in my tight dress). On day 10 after surgery, I was able to do most things with ease, just started driving again too, during which I would hold the seatbelt so it didn't touch my stomach. Doctor said I was healing fine and should be good to fly, and showed me my endo photos.

On flying day, 15days post surgery I just wore track pants, since jeans was just too uncomfortable, and they were buttoning, but just uncomfortable. But I was fine flying, everything was smooth sailing. Once I reached overseas I was able to button my pants and walk around ok and all the bandages fell off on the 22nd day.

Looking back now, I was so scared to go overseas so close after my surgery, but it was so important for me to go, and I am so happy I did. Just to see the look on my granddads face when I surprised him melted my heart.

So in your case, do check with your doctor, I think you would be fine, but if its really important for you and your doctor says yes, then go ahead. And your partner would be so happy to see you.

But sex wise, I am very unsure about that soon after, that will definitely be a question for your doctor.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope this helps, and good luck for next week! Keep us posted on your recovery! xx

• Posted

Hi Yasmin,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I appreciate all of the information!

I had not thought about not being able to have sex, again my doctor has given me essentially no information about the surgery and recovering. They had to cancel my last dr appointment because he was on call to deliver a baby. Unfortunately the rescheduled appointment is the day before my surgery. The center where I am having my surgery said they would call to give me information, but still nothing...

It is nice that your trip was successful and worth it! I am debating maybe waiting until later in April to go to give me a couple more weeks to recover. But it would be a waste to pay so much for a trip to just feel miserable. Tough decisions sad

This was very helpful so thank you again!

• Posted

No worries hun.

Gosh that sucks. I had a similar situation and just had my appointment postponed over and over.

But in the end you have to decide whats best for you. Your health comes first. Get this all sorted and then you can be free of worries. For me, I didn't care about the cost if I lost money on the flights because I had saved that money aside for ages. And if I lost half of it, I could say atleast I tried. But if you can't afford to do that. Then just leave it till a later point when you can comfortably see your partner.

Wishing you all the best xx

• Posted

Thank you! I am waiting for a call back from a nurse. I am thinking maybe I could postpone my trip and take it later in April. It's so hard because I want to recover, but gosh I sure want to see my military boyfriend! Haha.

Thank you once again for your help and kind words and advice.

• Posted

Hi Mandy!

I have had 2 laparoscopys and 2 other abdominal surgeries and the best advice my doctor gave me was to move as much as I could after surgery.  The first laparoscopy, my recovery was awful.  I went into it VERY nervous and they said that the more tense you are, the tougher the recovery.  I also did not get up and move around as much as they said I should because obviously I was in pain.  The other 3 surgeries I made sure to get up and move as often as I could handle and the recovery was so so so much better.  Also, because they have to pump some air into your belly so they can see what they are doing, some air may end up trapped and it’ll hurt like hell so making sure to walk as much as you can will help with that pain- you may feel it in your shoulder because of the nerve the air(gas) is pressing on.  Don’t get discouraged if they don’t happen to find anything, it took a few tries for them to find mine and let me tell you my relief was almost instantaneous.  Best of luck to you!

Megan

• Posted

Hi Meg!

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it is really helpful.

I was going to avoid moving as much as possible but now I will remember to walk around. I also read that recovery depends on your mindset going in-if you are nervous and tense the recovery takes longer. I'm not sure if that is medically backed, but a positive attitude never hurts.

Also I appreciate you saying to not get discouraged if they don't find anything. That has been my biggest fear and afraid I'm wasting money on a surgery but I hope I will find something. If not I'll take your advice and not give up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.