Laparoscopy v/s Open Surgery - guidance please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi lovely ladies out there, it feels so good to have so many of you'll share your stories here. I have been diagnosed with a 6 cm Intramuscular fibroid. I am 33 and plan to have kids. I am having contradictory opinions from doctors. Some say Laparoscopy is ideal while others say its risky and you should go for open surgery. I want to have kids in the future and do not want any distortion down there. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Can someone please guide. I want to get this done at the earliest.  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have a 6 cm intramural submucosal fibroid.  You can still have kids with this kind.  Also there is much larger fibroids than ours.  Some can be 22 cm or higher.  I am trying to heal mine with Amanda Leto's fibroid miracle book.  She guarantees 100 percent or your money back that it will shrink and possibly eliminate the fibroid in three months.  She gives you herbs and foods for pain and for estrogen elimination that causes the fibroid.  So far my pain is minimal compared to what it used to be.  I am only on week 1.  So many people have wrote in that there fibroids has shrunk to nothing and they didn't need any kind of surgery.  Amanda had fibroids her self.  She struggled for years but now she has come up with a great program.  I am hoping this works as I don't do well with surgery. 

• Posted

They can do it lap if it is under 10 for sure. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the guidance Laura. Happy to know that Amanda's therapy is working for you.  

• Posted

Get a doctor who has years of experience& a track record with patients on laparoscopy. the main difference besides the technicalities of the approach and required skill is the downtime.

• Posted

Hi May, 

Thanks for the concern. We just approached another Gynac as my earlier Gynac had said only open surgery. Guess because she did only that. Then after consulting few people we came to know about Laparoscopy and that it might be possible in my case. Am scheduled for a MRI today and will be visiting another Gynac this Friday. 

• Posted

Hi Avani1985. I had really large fibroids both around 8-12 cm and they were pretty high up, one extended to my liver. My uterus was about 26-28 wk. I opted for a less invasive procedure and something that would not cause too much trauma on my uterus. I too would love children some day. I recently had the Acessa procedure done on July 12, 2018. It uses radiofrequency ablation (i.e. heat) to destroy only the fibroids, shrinking them over time. The uterus remains intact. I'm already noticing differences with my symptoms and excited for the results I'll continue to have.

I would say a less invasive rout would be most ideal.

All the best

• Posted

Hi ify16575, 

Glad to know you are positive and recovering. I hope we all get positive results. Is Acessa procedure the same as Laparoscopy? 

• Posted

Acessa is done laparoscopically with 2-3 small incisions. I’m really glad I did research and learned about this procedure. In about 6 months, my stomach is look quite different....won’t look pregnant and my uterus is intact! Best ever!
    • Posted

Hi , hope u doing great. I had a laparoscopy done on 29th aug, 18. My doctor told me i will not get my periods for 2 to 3 months but here i have bleeding which i cant call spotting. Other than this there is no other pain or issue apart from a little discomfort. I have messaged my doctor but still no reply. Is this normal? Has anyone faced this?
    • Posted

Hi,

Can you tell me more about Acessa? Wondering why no doctors mention it and I can't find much info on it. Is it safe? I know that morcellation where they used to dissolve the fibroid is now banned by the FDA because of the cancer risk. Is Acessa the same thing? The problem with morcellation was that IF you had a cancerous fibroid it would spread it. Wondering if there is the same concern with Acessa since the fibroid tissue is just reabsorbed right? I know most fibroids are benign. Would love any info you have on Acessa! I have an 11cm fibroid and am trying to avoid surgery and not sure about UFE. Thanks!

• Posted

I heard it is as good as abdominal myomectomy with way less downtime if you qualify. Key is to find a surgeon who has done several hundred or thousands and can answer straight questions about their success & complication rate.

• Posted

Hi AP1985,

You can do both type s if you have a good surgeon. The benefit of open abdominal Is that the doctor can see small ones that are not visible via imaging and remove them. Also, the doc Can visually check your ovaries and uterus while in there. Laparoscope myomectomy reduces your recovery time. However the surgeon Can miss small fibroids, and damage your other organs on the way there. the key is for youto find a surgeon with lots of experience and no complications. You should do this for both types of surgery.

• Posted

The least invasive route is always ideal, however, it depends on the severity of your fibroids. In my case, by the time the fibroids were discovered, I had at least 23 of them and many were quite large. My uterus was so much bigger than it should've been and the fibroids were essentially taking over my abdomen. An open myomectomy or a hysterectomy (if I didn't want children) were my only choices. If yours are less severe, then hopefully laparoscopic surgery is an option. Make sure your doctor thoroughly reviews your sonogram and/or MRI with you. And make sure you find a good surgeon!

• Posted

Hi Im scheduled for a laparoscopic on June 3. please tell what type of surgery you had done and what was your experience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.