Laparotomy 12cm Dermoid cyst and ovary removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I'm 30 and 6 week ago I found out I had a 12cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary.

It really shocked me as to the size,and the fact I was going to have an operation to remove both the cyst and loose my left ovary.

I was thinking of staring a family this year and so it really upset me to find all this going on inside.

They have told me it shouldn't be a problem to have a family still with my remaining right ovary, but I have to get a move on Incase I develop another on my right side.

I am 5 days in to my recovery from the op,feel sore and really bloated , drained and week from the op,bowel movements are a struggle.

I know many women have gone through this op , get in touch if you you are in a similar position to me. If it helps.

Reading some of all your experiences on this forum has really helped me,and helped me to let go of some tears I have had bottled up, it's been a great help. Thankyou all for posting .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah. I too had a 11cm on

Left ovary and had This operation earlier in the year. It's so scary. My problem was that I was already pregnant. I am 30 also well 31 now lol and obviously a starting a family was important to me. I had already had a miscarriage previous to that pregnancy and was so afraid of everything. Thankfully the operation was a success and even better so was the pregnancy and I now have my healthy baby boy.

I too am afraid what would happen if I want to get pregnant again and am not ready to have another any time soon as we want to get a house organised first. It's so difficult to know. What type of a cyst was yours mine was fluid based but the fear of another one petrifies me. Have u also been told that we will enter menaupose few years earlier than we would have done with the ovary removed.

Post op recovery I was actually very good. Well I wasn't too bad it takes a while to get up and about I was very hunched over for a while.y advise would be to go outside for v short peripds before trying to go anywhere. I went straight into a shopping centre (mad I know) and got very dizzy and nearly passed out a few times so just take that end easy.

• Posted

Thankyou Janine for message,

Well done on getting through it!!!!

The surgeon came to see me on the ward 2days running after the op but both times I was on the verge of being sick/trying not too so I couldn't talk to her ,so all she told me was it had gone really well. I will have a consultation in 5week so I presume that's when they will fill me in on it all, what type of cyst ect.

There is such a lot going on before and after,my head was spinning with everything.

I just really want a family and it's the thought of that being taken away from me that scares me.

Congratulations on your little boy,how lovely!!! Well done you!!!!!

• Posted

I dont have advise at present.

I will be going through the same in 3 weeks time and I am scared.

I am glad yours went well. Rest up and maybe we can compare stories in a few weeks

Janine1234, congrats on baby!

• Posted

Hey Hun

Thanks for message

Telling you now you will be absolutely fine!!!!

Don't be scared about the op because it will go great,they do thousands of them and although it is rubbish going through recovery after and emotionally draining you will be ok!!!!!

It is still early days for me as only had my op 5days ago but if I can help in any way please be in touch!!!

Massive hugs

• Posted

Thanks.

I worry by nature!

Thanks for the reassurring words.

Looking forward to chilling on the sofa with my daily dose of TV!!! But not looking forward to any pain. 

• Posted

You will worry , it's fear of the unknown for sure!!!

Having been through the worst part I can tell you now YOU CAN DO IT GIRL so stay strong!!!

The pain after is managed with painkillers,you will be ok xxx

I went out for nice meals and went shopping for new underwear and comfortable pjs before, treat and look after yourself and have fun with friends on the run up to it!!!

I'm working my way through a box set at the moment (guilt free) there have to be some benefits to being off!!!

Let me know how you get on!!

• Posted

Yes I agree with Hannah the thought of it was defiantly the worst part. As I was pregnant the only pain relief I could take after surgery was paracetamol so if I can do it on that you will be fine.

The first time getting out of the bed can be sore but the sooner and more frequent you do it honestly is better. I thought I was goin to sit and watch lots of TV but really didn't it was good to get up and about.

• Posted

catrinadawn,

​it is so scary the thought of gonig threw the surgery wll it was for me as id never even been in hospotal before and squirm at getting bloods done so thought of surgery ws very daunting for me and then with the pregnancy as well to contend with was difficult.  the cyst was so big i couldt have carried the baby as there was no room. i weighed a stone less at 17 weeks pregnant than i ever did as soon as cyst was removed my shap totally changed. and now that i have the baby its good as my stomach doesnt stck out near as much as the cyst made it. 

​i just really fear having children down the line.  we really need to get a house and mortgage sorted before id consider having another one seems so selfish but we dont have room here.  also he cost of childcare really scares me.!!!!! 

• Posted

Get yourself some stool softeners. I took them for three or four days until my bowels returned to normal. I was also bloated for a couple of weeks, it will go away soon.
    • Posted

Thanks

I have got some syrup of figs from boots to start on,will see how they go!!

I look 5month pregnant at the moment, can't wait for my stomach to deflate !

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

My situation is almost exactly like yours.  I had two large cysts (18cm and 11cm) on my left ovary removed last month.  They managed to save half of my left ovary as well.  My doctor is truly amazing.  I was also told this wouldn't affect starting a family down the road.

I hope your recovery is going well!

• Posted

That is amazing!!!

Well done for getting through it!!

Thanks for commenting

• Posted

Thank you!  It's nice to have you ladies to talk to.  You truly understand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.