Laparotomy help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

So I found out on Tuesday that I am going to be having laparotomy rather than keyhole surgery to remove my overian cyst. When I was 16 (10 years ago) I had cyst removed the same way I have a c section cut along my bikini line and he advised that I will be cut open hopefully in same area but may be a bigger cut. Does anyone know how long recovery is for this type of surgery?

Consultant has also advised that he doesn't think the ovary can be saved this time so I don't know whether that will make a difference in recovery time.

Thanks girls😊

Xxx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had a laparotomy almost a month ago to remove a 30cm cyst. My incision was only 3 inch horizontally on my bikini line, as my surgeron said it was "as close to keyhole as she could have done." However, all my organs were saved and kept intact - despite my cyst being so large, I had an excellent surgeon to only come out of this with a measily 3 inch scar. I am heading back to work next Monday, so for me, it was about 4 weeks recovery and I have a fairly active job. I'd say I was feeling totally normal, pain-free, by the 3 week point though. Because your incision might be bigger than mine, and everyone's body heals differently, I'd give yourself 4-6 weeks.

Good luck!

• Posted

Also I'll add that I am 24 and was in the hospital post-surgery for 2 and a half days but could have been discharged after one day.

• Posted

Hi Samantha, 

I hope you're well and not too worried about your surgery. I had to have a cyst removed from my right ovary and they had to take the ovary out as well around three months ago. 

I am also 26 years old. I was honestly so worried and depressed after the surgery because it wasn't planned at all. I didn't even know I had a cyst! It just started twisting my ovary and caused serious pain and that's how I found out about it. Next thing I knew, I was getting a laparotomy!

Recovery time is said to be six weeks and I honestly found that it was absolutely true. I was discharged one week after my laparotomy but that's only because I had complications from it and they had to have another surgery ... You could be discharged a lot sooner but make sure you are confident about being able to take care of yourself. Other people in the same ward as me were walking right after surgery but it took me a good 48 hours. Drinking a lot is great because it forces you to get up and go to the toilet which will become like a daily exercise! 

After I was discarged, I stayed with some family for a week which was really helpful. I was able to walk up and down the stairs slowly and went for walks every day (longer and longer each day). It really helps to stay active but know your limits for sure. The point of recovery is rest after all! 

After those first two weeks I was much more mobile. I stopped taking my painkillers and could actually walk longer distances. Still, you will have some pain so take it easy. After that, you will get better day after day. I found that after five weeks I was able to go swimming and walk long distances really easily and I was completely back to normal by the end of the sixth week. 

All in all, recovery is different for each person but the key is to know your limits. Try to walk a bit more every day and get loads of rest as well. 

I hope your surgery goes well and you recovery easily! Good luck and don't worry, your body is stronger than you think smile 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can't remember a lot about my last experience when I was 16 but after reading yours I seem to be remebering a lot more!

Thanks again

X

• Posted

I've had a laparotomy also, I have a league incision across my bikini line as I had large cysts on both ovaries. I was in hospital for 12 days because I went into septic shock after the initial surgery due to s blood vessel not being closed during the initial surgery which caused a huge collection of blood in my tummy and required a second surgery. That was 10 weeks ago and I was back at work 5 weeks after the second surgery. I think that was too soon (I work in preschool with 1-2 year olds so very active and lots of lifting) and I am STILL getting bloating/pain almost daily. It is a lot better than it was initially, but I just thought it would be completely better by now and it's not. I was a healthy active 24 year old going into it too. I haven't been able to do much more than walk since the surgery as I don't feel up to it and a lot of things still hurt my tummy. I don't want to scare you but just wanted to share my experience. Good luck 🙂

• Posted

Are you talking about about a laparoscopy? If so its a tiny cut in the bottom of ur navel if not ur getting a surgery like my mom did @ 16. She has no bad scares. Shes a very strong minded women. Wouldnt even take any pain meds when she got her sleeve done. So its not to bad of a painful operation. I have had the same cuts as her to my lower stoach area. I got up after surgery wen brought in my room 2 go pee he yelled its not pee just the air they pump in u to move around and see wen i came out almost all that bloating was gone. Next day was up n at it walking around. Then mayb 10 yrs ago I had my apendix removed n omg u just cant imagine how many muslces u use to move in ur stomach that was no mover surgery, but a yr ago did a out patient surgery of my gallblader as soon as i wakened got to the car slept the way home n think i slept till nxt day. I didnt want them but ty doc for them perks but after a couple day back to me again...
    • Posted

Hi Hun,

No I'm taking about laparotomy which is a scar which is about 3 inches long can either go vertical or horizontal. Thanks for your info though ??

• Posted

Hi samantha i had laparatomy two days ago to remove a dermoid cyst on my right ovary.

Yesterday i could've barely moved and today seems a little better. Im sitting up with a slouch on my own. And i walked to the bathroom on my own slouching over. The gas pains are unbearable. Ginger tea is helping but otherwise i feel really sore and weak. A simple task such as sitting up is tiring. My surgery was 1 hr long and i was under general anesthesia.

My dr told me 6-8 weeks healing time. So we will see how this goes. I hv a 10day follow up appt followed by a 6wk appt.

• Posted

Hi

I had a laparotomy in April to remove a very large ovarian cyst. My cut was vertical, from just below my bust to top of public bone. It needed to be that big due to size of cyst.

I was discharged from hospital 3 days after surgery and would say it was about 8 weeks until I felt like I was really able to do things and get back to normal.

Hope everything goes well for you.

I found this forum a great help for me during my surgery.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.