Laparscopic Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal Hernia repair surgery Shoulder pain.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had this surgery six days ago.  I've had zero pain in my abdomen, but a tremendous amount of pain in my shoulders (I was told that it was from the gas).  I've also had some difficulty swallowing, but that seems to be improving.  

Does anyone who has had this surgery know a way to relieve the shoulder pain? It's unbearable! HELP!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul

I had the surgery four weeks ago and had shoulder pain, too. I just put it down to being 'man-handled' while unconscious...

Anyhow, a couple of days of shoulder rubs was all I needed. It only lasted a few days. 

Deb

• Posted

I think most stomach operations can cause this pain unfortunately. It is due to wind as they pump air into you so that they can perform the surgery easier. My friend had a hysterectomy and she said her shoulder pain was the worse! It does only last a couple of days maximum apparently and moving around helps if you can. Maybe try some heat and painkillers. Hope it eases off soon.
  • Posted

I had this pain in my shoulder after gall bladder removal, the pain in the shoulder hurt more than the operation.  Tablets don't really seem to help, in the end I just had to get in a comfortable position and stay there, it gradually eases off, but very slowly.

• Posted

Hi Paul

I also had the surgery 3 weeks ago. My left shoulder and neck, the pain was unbearable! Cried like a baby, but 9 days in my daughter sent a friend to my home to massage the neck and shoulder. It helped big time. I elected to have the linx implanted. I have choked a few times, but doctor said chew, chew, chew. I eat no meat.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

My pain lasted about two weeks and shifted locations several times from right shoulder to back to left shoulder. Heating pad helped a little. Asparin worked very well for me.
  • Posted

Hi Paul

It's nice to be able to share. My shoulder pain is now gone, but breathing still an issue for me. After 2 days in hospital they sent me home with liquid pain medicine, but 15 minutes prior I had to take a medicine to be able to tolerate the pain medicine. My surgeon knew in advance I can not tolerate drugs. After a few days I took less and less of pain medicine and just dealt with it. The side affects of being sick and liver emzymes off the chart. Today I feel so much better, but having to eat every 2 hours is a pain when you are not hungry! Lol walking more every day, but doing every day chores still takes a toll on me.

Debbra

• Posted

I had to "eat" every waking hour for a month. I found two Ritz brand crackers to work very well - first thing I had as soon as I woke up. Dried aprecots were also very good.

• Posted

For the first couple of weeks after my op, I lived on thin soups and smoothies. These really are easy and quick to make, and I made sure I packed them full of good stuff i.e. fruit and vegetables. A thick shake with a banana in it is really filling. You'll find you're far less hungry what you're eating is packed with nutrition. Food lacking in nutrition leaves your body craving vitamins and minerals, which makes you feel hungry.

I was soon able to add pulses like lentils and barley, which really do fill you up. And, like porridge, they release their energy slowly so you don't have to eat quite so frequently. 

• Posted

Hi Deb

I'm off to see my primary today to update him. My eating is very small....like 4-5 oz. Pasta , soup, and veggies. All cooked and my favorite per doctor....gold fish crackers! Still have chest pain and breathing still an issue. I have a little toy like machine to exercise the diaphragm. One thing I have notice....very thirsty and at night worst with very dry mouth. Will talk to doctor about it. I only drink 1 coffee and remainder of day water only.

Debbra

• Posted

I also have shoulder pain, worst in the left shoulder, which I have had since coming out of the anaesthetic. I am 13 days post op and still in alot of pain. It is very difficult to get comfortable in any position. sometimes it aches and sometimes it is so intense it feels like burning. The base of my neck at the back is also very painful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.