Lapidus Bunionectomy

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m having a Lapidus Bunionectomy next week and would love feedback on pain level on days 1,2,3, etc. how long were you non weight bearing. Would you have the surgery again?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Annie,I am 7 weeks post op. Double bunionectomy with big toe fusion. Post op,I had minimal pain etc, at any time, which surprised me, but I had listened to my surgeon regarding rest,painkillers, and weightbearing etc.

I can walk more than those initial first weeks of recovery, but not as much as I hoped. I put this down to the severe cold weather we have been experiencing the last few months. I do get very tired if I walk too far etc. Now that the swelling has reduced, and scars are healing, I love looking at my straight toes! I wear orthopedic sandals at the moment, that's all I can wear; I need to buy new footwear soon. I have no regrets after having the surgery and I look forward to the day when I return to full mobility. Go for it!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I’m certainly having the one foot done! Can’t wait to see a straight foot when I look down! LOL
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies, I hope all of your recoveries were quick with little pain. What did you have put n after surgery, cast, just a dressing, and what did you use after surgery? Crutches, walker, wheelchair, one of those knee wheelie things?
    • Posted

I never had a cast or a boot. My doctor requires just a soft splint and a surgical shoe for the 8 weeks. I used a knee scooter and would definitely recommend one of those!!
    • Posted

Love my scooter! This is my third foot surgery, but first time on the right foot. This one was the Lapidus. Different surgeon of course! Ortho surgeon this time. No cast this time either, or boot. Just Velcro shoe but NWB 6 weeks now and I go next week to see what’s next. 

I also use  an ice machine which has been my saving grace, even more than a pain pill. 

Even though I had a doctor that I now know didn’t do what was best for me years ago with the left foot, I’d still do it again. And I probably WILL have to do it yet gain, as long as this ortho surgeon can correct the damage done. Fingers, not toes! Crossed he can. 

Remember the Lapidus is one of the most difficult of the types of bunion surgeries, it takes time. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that when we see others comments on different surgeries :-) 

be kind to yourself! 

• Posted

I've had no pain only a little discomfort on walking the first couple of days. I only had a dressing and a special shoe for 5 weeks, no walking aids.

• Posted

Ok, thanks for your reply. I hope my surgery goes as well as yours
  • Posted

Hello! I had Lapidus fusion done on both of my feet only 5 months apart. I haven’t regretted it at all. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks after each surgery. I only took off 3 weeks of work for each as well. I had a kness scooter which was a life saver. Physical therapy is a must. I have full range of motion in both of my Big toes now. My scars are healing nicely and sometimes forget that I have the screws and pins at all smile
    • Posted

Ok, thanks! Glad your surgery and recovery are going well
  • Posted

Hi Annie,

I am 8 weeks post op today and doing fairly well. Your pain level will be the worst the first few weeks , at least that was my case . I don't know if my procedure was the Lapidus but I have been non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I see my foot surgeon this Friday. I am learning that the recovery process can last for a very long time. I do need to have my other bunion done at some point but not to sure at this point.. I would advise you to follow doctors orders completely ,stay off your feet as much as possible(bathroom trips only) ice and elevate! most important understand this will definitely try your patience ! Good Luck !

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing exactly what you said. I have 5 kids so I plan on counting on them and the hubby!
    • Posted

Oh your going to have plenty of help! That will be awesome lol  Maybe you will be lucky and you will be put under  AND have a nerve block, that is what I had and it does keep you pain free for several hours and you will wake up from surgery feeling great..just need to keep pain meds in your system for when it wears off...I also wanted to tell you there are socks that i purchased with gel packs in (top and bottom) that you just put in the freezer and then use when you have pain or swelling THEY ARE THE BEST !!  I could send you the info if you cant find them. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!
    • Posted

Oh yes, if you can send me the link for the “freezer socks” that would be great. I’m going to ask my surgeon about possibly getting the ankle block as well. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.