Lapidus Bunionectomy Non Union

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a Lapidus Bunionectomy to my left foot.

The surgeon used two memory staples only as internal fixation.

I was not put in any plaster cast.

I was allowed to walk heel weight bearing in a wooden soled shoe after two weeks.

I developed a stitch abscess at 6 weeks but was allowed to fully weight bear from then on.

My fusion failed and I needed revision surgery.

It has been suggested to me that the reason the initial surgery failed was my fault as I couldn't have followed the instructions in regard to weight bearing.

I am adamant that I did exactly as I was told. 

Does anyone have any similar experiences with this surgery?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow. This sounds scary. I am scheduled to have revision surgery on Sept 19. The doc is putting a plate that has 2 pins and 2 screws attached to it. The plate goes on the side of the foot. Doc said I will have no pain and flexibility. Promises, promises. The 2nd toe will have an implant device put in it because it also turns to the left. It is my right foot. I want to wear a little heel, walk upstairs and be able to propel with my foot when I walk or jog on treadmill. No I'm not 20. I am 58 but my bone did heal from the surgery in February and so I'm going into this optimistically. I am a shoe person and am looking forward to wearing them again. I saw 4 docs and only 1 suggested this procedure. The other 3 said fusion. Never heard of bone stimulator but sounds like it would take a long time to get better.

• Posted

Hi

To be honest, I'm probably looking at all of this from under a cloud. My toe is still very painful after the non-fusion, but at least there are options for what to do next and my foot hasn't fallen off! I can walk with a stick if I keep it light and fairly short - too much and, yes, my foot swells and is painful, but a hot bath helps. I'll probably end up with the plate and screws you are getting - at least you won't have to go through the risk of a failed fusion... And all the people I have read about or spoken to who have had the fusion/plate done seem to have recovered well and are now fit and active, and can wear heels (little ones) even with stiffened toes. I don't think it's as bad as we are anticipating...

Andy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.