Lapidus Procedure Questions and Concerns

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to have a lapidus procedure for a bunion done on my right foot, this Monday 6/1/15. I'm in my early 20s, a nonsmoker, and more-or-less healthy. Like many other people, I am experiencing last minute reservations and fear about this process and was hoping to find some answers to questions that have come up for me.

I've been poking around the internet for the past few days, reading and watching people's lapidus experiences, and it's put some fear in me. I'm terrified! There's a lot of bad experiences out there. I honestly am not worried at all for the actual surgery, it's the pain that's freaking me out. So some questions for people who have survived this long ordeal:

How bad was your pain at its worst and what day post-op was it the worst? It seems to really vary among people, but if you could give me like a 1-10 rating or something that would really be great, as this is my number 1 concern.

What pain medications were you given, and how well did they work? I'm in the U.S., so names might be a little different.

How many days did it take for the pain to go away?

I also am slightly concerned about mobility so.. some questions for that too:

How long did it take you before you could crutch or hop or scooter around in the outside world and accomplish things like going out to dinner, seeing a movie, hanging out at a friend's house? Things that keep you sane!

My surgeon wants me completely non weight bearing for an entire 8 weeks. From what I've read, this seems a little excessive, as most people end up getting a walking boot or something similar. Has anyone else had that long of a NWB stage?

I'm extremely grateful for all the answers that I receive, and I wish you all pain-free, speedy recoveries! If you're lucky and have already recovered, congratulations! smile

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

One other thing is that as far as going out for dinner, to friends etc. I would say if you have someone to collect or drive you then you can do everything after 2 weeks.  Don't forget your not I'll just temporarily disabled.  I found it an ideal time to be spoiled and was taken out for dinner regularly and had friends visit or I was collected and or taken.  There are some really good aspects of this surgery.  Lie ins in bed in the morning are a real bonus, coffee in bed etc.  Enjoy !!!
    • Posted

It's easy to forget some of those positives when I've been focusing so much on the scary parts. Thank you for reminding me it won't be all bad smile
  • Posted

Will be thinking of you - and looking forward to updates.  I will also be having the next two hammer toes done as well.  I think those of us having the lapidus procedure is because our big toe has strayed a little too far in the wrong direction.

Whilst you are in the U.S. this site has proved we are united in our support wherever we are.   But having said that we are all unique and so are our feet - we have to trust what our surgeon tells us.

Good Luck x

• Posted

I bought the sleeve for showering, I know about the knee scooter but I haven't purchased one. I've been practicing on my crutches and can get around the house fairly well, so I didn't want to buy the scooter until I see if it's really going to be necessary.
    • Posted

You are prepared - well done!  Do you have any pressure i.e. to get back to education/work?

The trouble with me I haven't had any pain with my bunion but I know it is getting worse and my hammer toes,  I asked my surgeon if it could get any worse and he said 100% given family history as well.  

So for me I think - no pain now - so why make pain? So at my age I am thinking I ,ust do it now and not leave it any later.   

• Posted

I'm currently a full time student, so I'm off for the summer (kind of). I need to get myself into my school 2 or 3 times in the month of June, the first time being 7 days after my surgery. I'm a little concerned about that one. But I'm hoping with a wheelchair and someone driving me I'll be able to do it.

I don't have too much pain in my bunions either. I occasionally get some soreness or shooting pain in my toe after wearing heels or walking all day, but on a day-to-day basis I'm fine. However, I've had my bunions my whole life and they are progressing and my big toe is slowly disappearing behind my second toe, so even without pain I guess surgery is the way to go while I'm still young.

I think for most other people, like you and I, it seems to be something people just bite the bullet and go for

• Posted

Just looking in and thinking of you.  We can chat later when you have your foot up and resting. 
    • Posted

Hi Claire,

Sounds like my foot is similar to how yours was.  How are you now, after a couple of years?

Thanks,

Nervous, nervous, nervous

Lisa

• Posted

Instead of a chair for the shower I had a folding plastic step used for reaching higher cupboards and this was ideal for the bath, although it wasn't the small step but one that is a bit higher, it was ideal.  I also had a special sleeve for over my dressing.  Something to think about instead of spending out on a special shower chair. 
    • Posted

My aunt has a shower chair that I could borrow, so I'm okay with the cost. And I have the sleeve, it was pretty cheap online. I've been practicing sliding in and out of the tub backwards on my behind, and taking my shower sitting down on the floor of the tub, but it's pretty tricky and then standing up on one leg is risky for falls.
    • Posted

Well Clare - they say 'Fail to plan - plan to fail' so you have passed and I think you need your gold star now.lol  
  • Posted

Hi there hope your surgery went well today best of luck please keep us posted i go on to get my right food done this friday and my left foot will be done in another 4 to 6 weeks
  • Posted

I made it! I'll share my experience so far, maybe it will help someone else. The actual surgery was no big deal... I was lucky enough to go to a top rated orthopedic hospital here in New York City so all of the staff were great throughout my experience. The intake coordinator knew I was terrified from the moment I walked in the waiting room, I was that much of a mess.

So now it's the middle of day two and I've been managing. They gave me both a spinal nerve block to numb me from the waist down, which wears off about an hour or two after surgery, as well as a nerve block in my right knee area to numb me from that point down on my surgery foot. The anesthesiologist said that block lasts 24-48 hours, honestly I began to feel some pain 2 hours after surgery and the nurse gave me 2 Percocet (oxycodone & acetaminophen), which took the edge off. I know the nerve block is still in effect though, because my knee area is slightly numb and I keep getting some tingling and coldness in parts of my foot, which the anesthesiologist said is the nerve block wearing off slowly. So due to the block, my pain is okay. Sleeping has been hard... I think it's the medication. I've been taking 1 or 2 percocet every 4-6 hours in order to stay on top of the pain. I'm also taking 500 mg of Naproxen every 12 hours for inflammation, low dose aspirin every 12 hours, and Lyrica (used for nerve pain from diabetes or fibromyalgia) once a day at night. I have Zofran for possible nausea, if I need it. So my doctor made sure I'm prepared for what's to come!

The hardest part so far has been getting to the bathroom. One reason is because when you stand up, the blood really does rush to your foot, as most people say. The pain increases a bit then. Another reason is because I'm wrapped almost up to my knee in bandages and what feels like a very large plastic splint. I don't have the surgical shoe/boot that many people get, I have more of a huge square protective shell. And this splint is heavy! It has to be several pounds (maybe half a stone for all you Brits out there [smile] ). So walking with this and holding it up is pretty difficult and tiring. I'm sweating by the time I make it back to the bed. It also makes my right hip hurt from holding up the extra weight. But this is only for 2 weeks, so I'll deal with it.

I'm hoping the rest of the week goes as smoothly as it has so far. Praying for no increase in pain!

• Posted

Wow! Well done you - sounds like I need to write down the names of your pain relief so I can say 'I want some of them please.'

So pleased for you that this stage is over and thank you for sharing your experience. Looking forward to next episode.lol

• Posted

The meds really are key, I think. One of the first things I asked the surgeon was what he was giving me. The biggest tip I can give is to really take the meds even if you don't think you 'need' them at that moment.

I'm back in the surgeon's office a little over a week, so we'll see how things are healing under this huge bandage!

• Posted

That is on the list of to do list - my consultant said he will be giving me Ibuprofen 400 mg and co-codamol.  I didn't say anthing at the time still reeling from tha fact that I was in there discussing having it done and what he would do.

My asthma is controlled and touch wood but I think I can remember years ago being told asthmatics shouldn't take Ibuprofen and morphend and I don't get on and something else.  So I really must get onto this because I have had issues with pain control before and if this one is 'up there' I need to find out.

Hope today is a comfortable one for you andother step forward to normailty.

• Posted

My surgeon told me that I shouldn't be taking ibuprofen past the first 3 days (Naproxen is basically a strong ibuprofen) because any NSAID medication can prevent the bones from fusing like they need to. Every procedure and doctor is different though, so yours might be fine with NSAID medications.

• Posted

Thank you for telling me this - it really adds to my need to get this sorted BEFORE the operation.

I hope you have had a good day.

• Posted

I just had the same procedure done 9 days ago. I too do not have the boot everyone is talking about. I had a soft half cast on, however, because my foot was swelling so bad, my heel was killing me. The doctor told me to remove it. So I did and that felt so much better. I see him in 5 days when he will remove the stitches and put my foot in a hard, full cast. The only concern I'm having is my foot is still pretty much swollen. I keep it elevated and using the DVTHERAPY machine my doctor prescribed for me. Is there something I may have done wrong or is this normal? Although I have put my foot down on occasion, especially using the restroom, I haven't put any weight on my foot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.