Laporoscip Bilateral Salingoophectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Im recovering from the above op for almost four weeks now.Im 65 years old. Obviously im post menapausal so do not have the same issues as many of you. Before the operation i was under the understanding that I was having two cysts out one on the right which was 9cm and one on the right which was over 5cm. I was told that my bloods were C21 and no cancer was found.The operation was going to be performed via keyhole and under day surgery unless of course there were complications. Just before the op the surgeon came and explained that i was down to have my ovaries and tubes out which came as a bit of a shock as i hadnt been told this previously. After a short chat with the surgeon on the possible issues that i could have due to my age , the risk of the silent cancer and adhesions i decided to go with it.

After the operation which went well they had a job to bring me round but can honestly say that i wasnt in to much pain. As i am on Gaberpentin for CRPS in my right hand i wondered if this was helping with the pain as i refused a Tramadole in place of my dose of Gaberpentin missed over lunchtime due to the op.

I was sick once after a visit to the loo , but that was after being given a sandwich and a cup of tea earlier which once out made me feel so much better, and then later on I was allowed home.

The gas was awfull for at least two weeks and my bowels and digestive system completely messed up with pain ,dull aches and the feeling of everything going to fall out.

Almost four weeks on  the three cuts are healing very well, albeit i'm waiting to have an ultrasound on my right hand cut due to a hard lump underneath which GP thinks may be a blood clot.She has put me on a strong antibiotic to hopefully clear up the infection { if that is the case}.

I have had a lot of pain and discomfort in my stomach over the last four weeks and even now am having to be careful. I'm doing some jobs like dusting , emptying the dishwasher, putting washing in the maschine etc.I did  some cooking today but overdid it and had to go sit down after a few hours on my feet.

Have others experienced similair things? The only information i have is off this discussion page as no information was given me on leaving the hospital as to when i can drive, what i can lift, what chores i should or shouldn't do how long for recovery etc , plus other things such as sex, hormones, emotions etc.

I would be really interested in others experiences of a similair age.

Kind regards.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 51 and on August 20 I had both ovaries, both tubes and a d&c (due to a thicking of my uterine lining) and I also had a 8cm cyst removed. I also had the laparoscopic which you all call the keyhole surgery. Honestly I can tell you by September 6 I was 100% recovered with no pain what so ever. Maybe you are just slow to heal or something else maybe causing your pain. I am also in menopause, however even in menopause your ovaries still produce about 40% of your hormones so even though you are in menopause you still on the day of your surgery lost ALL hormones and maybe you are adjusting to that. My doctor told me I could drive whenever I felt that I could safely slam on the brakes with no discomfort. I started driving after 7 days.  I started taking  over the counter product called DIM that here in the states you can get at any health store or you can order it online. I also started taking Black cohosh which you can also get at the health store or online. It has been wonderful for keeping my emotions in check and helps with hot flashes also. As for sex, I waited until my gyno follow up appointment which was four weeks for her to give me the okay. Here in the states they do not do hormone replacement therapy over the age of 50 so you should look for products that will help at the vitamin store. Also there is a product that I use call progesterone cream that you can buy online and you rub in on your wrist or inner thigh once a day to help with hormonal changes. Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.
    • Posted

Hi Sheri many thanks for all your information it's been good to hear how others are doing and so pleased that you are doing well eleven weeks on.The only major problems I had were excessive wind and problems with my bowels but these things have settled down now although my tummy does seem to swell throughout the day so I'm living in loose waist joggers. My ultrasound is on Tuesday so hopefully I'll find out more about this lump. I'm just hoping and praying that it's not a hernia. Before the op I had a lot of bladder weakness..... something that I've put up with for years but this seems so far to have gone ,which I find amazing.Thank you again for getting back to me it's good to hear others stories.Hoping that you fully recover as the days go on kind regards Sandra.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra.

Can I say, I think you are doing very well at 4 weeks. 

The gas and pain is probably from the anaesthetic. That is quite normal. Have you tried peppermint tea, they tried to give me that in hospital when i was hunched over the bed in pain,

I have had 3 lots of dermoid cysts and if ever I get them again, it's all coming out!

Mine were all laparatomys (full cuts) so 6 weeks is the minimum time for not doing chores. For my appendix by keyhole, it was at least 6 weeks as well. 

I think you have to start with small things, dusting etc. Be careful with hoovering just yet and DONT lift at all.

Do you work? Ring your insurance company about driving. For me, they told me, once I could perform an emergency stop, I could return to driving.

As for sex? Again, too soon in my opinion.

Hope I have helped a little

Amanda

• Posted

Hi Amanda thank you for your reply and helpful information. You've had a few ops poor you, makes mine seem very simple.I must say that I'm taking peppermint tea and actually finding it quite refreshing .Not sure if it's helped or not. I am doing really well considering but do have concerns about this lump under my large cut.The ultrasound is on Tuesday.My GP put me on 200mg antibiotics three times a day a fortnight ago ,but as he was on holiday the following week made me another appointment with a lady GP who like him thinks my lump is a blood clot and has put me on 500mg three times a day. I've been ok but the lump is still there and slightly smaller than a golf ball . I'm now wondering if it is a hernia!They run in the family on the male side. Do you think keyhole recovery can take as long as open surgery or do you think it depends on the person? Many thanks for your reply not sure when your surgery was but hoping that your recovery is speedy kind regards Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.