Lapro cholecystectomy converted to Open Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Greetings to ALL the brave patients in this forum. Very Thankful to have found this for information on such rare medical condition.

I had my Surgery May 2019 for Mirizzi type IV and my cholycystectomy was converted to Open Surgery for Roux en Y hepaticojejunostomy the only option for my fused cystic duct that fused to common hepatic duct with impacted stone. What I find most helpful during recovery is Abdominal Binder. I am still in recovery and was told the Healing would be 3-6 months. To ALL the patients going through this, I PRAY very hard for all of you to get Better. This is also my wish for myself. Take it 1 day at a time. Each day gets better and better and better. I am also on anti depressant medication and to be honest, this medical condition post surgery is a lot of anxiety and despair. I try very hard every day to look at the bright side that the hepaticojejunostomy saved my life. Be Brave. Wishing you ALL speedy recovery

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I also had the roux en y surgery after a cyst and gallbladder removal developed a complication. MY bile ducts were cut and a stricture was unable to be fixed. MY DR performed the roux en y last AUGUST . I am feeling good but my liver feels heavy. I am so grateful my dr. was able to fix this. I am only 64 and never expected this after a cyst and gallbladder removal I have no other symptoms causing me distress. I also have anxiety though after such a big operation. Please keep me posted how u r doing

• Posted

Hi karen47506 it's a Delight to hear you are feeling good and no other symptoms after your roux en y August last year. That is great news!!! Are you able to give more description of your liver feeling heavy? Surely your information would be valuable to this community. I am 39 years old and like yourself, I nevery expected this big operation- I was very scared and sometimes I still am. So much anxiety about post op complications and the future of my "man-made GI system that is resectioned and re routed" Like yourself, I am grateful my Dr. was able to fix this (Hepatobiliary surgeon). I did ask my Dr. about post op complications, hernia etc and my Dr. said "Just live. We will cross the bridge when we get there." May I ask if you needed follow-up care after your roux en y August last year as far as scans, tests follow up appointments etc? Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear about your anxiety- I can completely relate with you. Will pray that you have all the family support and resources to thrive and get Well. Wishing Good Health for us All.

• Posted

I asked my surgeon for a ct scan just to confirm that the heaviness in my liver,feels swollen, is nothing else. I also have a small lump on my right side which could be a hernia. I am meeting to get Ct results tomorrow. I will post after that. I feel good but always thinking is something else going to happen. It was so scary.! It is so good to hear from others most people have never heard of this surgery.

• Posted

Hi Karen sending you well wishes pray good outcome of your CT results.

• Posted

hi. did you go in for a routine cholecystectomy?

and what were your symptoms before surgery? thanks

• Posted

mine was Lap Chole converted to Open after discovering Mirizzi type IV in bile duct and Roux en Y hepaticojejunostomy. Only symptom I had was bloating. No RUQ pain. hope this helps

• Posted

hi had sepsis which I was in hospital 6 days in May 2017 then had my gallbladder out in the December but had hernia which i had removed dec 2018 just hoping all is well now

• Posted

Hi Jenny4811 very sorry to hear you had sepsis followed by hernia. I pray for your Healing and well being. What are your symptoms of sepsis?

• Posted

I am feeling well now my sepsis i thought i had a urine infection i was shaking and very cold went to A and E just thinking they would give me antibiotics but they put me straight on a drip and i was in hospital 7 days that was in May 2017 and then i had my gallbladder out in the dec 2017 by open surgery i was in hospital 9 days then i noticed a lump which was growing so dec 2018 i had my incisional hernia removed but everything is ok now

• Posted

Do you know how long to expect pain for after an open surgery? Don't know if you have read my details so won't repeat myself but would be interested in hearing from you. Many thanks.

• Posted

Can anyone answer my queries as still struggling....Iam listed as Pets4me

Thanks

• Posted

I found that the hospital was great . I had a pain pump and was given pain meds. The worst part is trying to get up because your stomach muscles r so sore. I had Open surgery twice and complications . But doing well almost 1 year later . I am 64.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.