Laprosccopy recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i am booked to have my first laproscopy next week to hopefully confirm endo. I am also getting a mirena at the same time.

i am wondering what i can expect in terms of recovery?  any tips or things i should watch out for? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya....... i found that drinking mint tea helped with the shoulder tip pain (that infact i found more painful at times than the actual operation ive now had 4 ops!!) the surgeon fills you up with gas, the gas can't escape so tends to travel up to your coller bone?? Mine only lasted a few days so doesn't last forever. You maybe lucky and not have any pain??

Your belly will be very swollen due to gas but also due to normal swelling from the operation. It can unfortunately take a while for your belly to go down, so wear very loose comfortable clothing....

.obviously brusing and i'm not going to lie you will be tender and sore so take all the painkillers you are given. Ensure you have lots of help and rest as much as you can...... make sure you try to eats lots of fibre after op because some painkillers can clog you up and it's not nice when you can't go the loo and your already in pain.

This all sounds so negative and all doom and gloom but every person is different and i'm only going by my own experiences. Fingers crossed for you and hope all goes well. Xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have had 2 csections and the shoulder tip pain was the worst part of those so I look forward to going through that again! 😣

I am quite worried about the pain. I have been on 3x prescription pain killers daily for over 12 months now so my body is rather immune to them. They have only recently been willing to consider endo as the cause of my troubles.

I am expecting massive bowel involvement too as I have had nothing but trouble in that deptartment for nearly 18months even with all the pain killers.

I guess we will wait and see!

• Posted

Hi

I had my first lap at the beginning of November and also have had 2 previous c-sections.

I struggled with the anaesthetic, took an hour to come round with my blood pressure and temp dropping and even now get tired easily.

I to found the gases alot worse than the actual pain from the surgery but it only lasted a few days.

Hope it all goes well for you and you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

How long after were you able to go back to your regular activities?

I am unsure when To expect I would be right to return to work. I was thinking a couple of days but I have read some people needed 6 weeks which seems a bit excessive to me, but maybe I really have no idea?

Thoughts?

• Posted

I had 3 and a half weeks off so only went back to work on Wednesday and then I did shorter days as so tired an was feeling pulling. But saying that it depends what you do. I work with young children, lifting and carrying and on my feet all day.

The hospital said they always sign off for 2 weeks but because of what I do to go to docs and get longer if needed.

I was doing more in the house after 2 weeks but with regular breaks but it's all because of the anaesthetic knocked me completely for 6.

Everyone is different and it also depends on now invasive they end up being too.

Take what time you need!!!!

• Posted

Eek! Perhaps having my lap on friday and returning to work on monday is not looking so good.

I am a paralegal at a busy law firm. Most of my day is spent sitting at my desk but some of our files do get very heavy and there is normally some running involved in each day.

I guess only time will tell. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.