Laproscoptic gall bladder surgery. My experience after 1 month

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hoping this will help someone and give an idea of what surgery has been like, I am posting my experience thus far.

I had laproscopic gall bladder surgery removal 1 month ago and what happened did not match up with what I expected.  My wife had the same surgery about 3 years ago and it was so easy for her.  Almost no residual pain, gas, bloating or discomfort. 

I went in at 9 for outpatient surgery and did not get home until 8PM that evening.  Apparently, the surgery went well.  The doctor did not indicate otherwise, but about the time I began to wake up, I had such severe pain in the right abdomen area that the Norco was nothing.  I ended up getting 4 mg of morphene in 2 separate doses.  The pain finally controlled, I could not urinate.  After catherization and emptying my bladder, I was sent home.  Fortunately the doctor gave me flomax and with that and hot baths, I was finally able to urinate on my home by the next day.

I stayed generally confortable with pain meds for about 24 hours and then began to have severe pain and gas episodes. With the first one I was ready to call 911 (999 equivalent) when it began to subside.  For the next 5 days I had these episodes every 12 or 24 hours.  Antacids, coca cola and cold packs got me through them. I continued to have pain and discomfort, especially major gas for the next 15 days or so, but the pain was much less severe.  I began taking a tables spoon of apple cider vinagar (thanks Ace) in warm water three times a day. I think that has  helped.  I kept my doctor informed.  Just this week the pain seems to be more achy and generalized in my right abdomen, so I hope that is a good sign. That's my experience. 

I am a diabetic and at the  moment, the gallbladder removal has significantly lowered my morning blood sugar levels into an acceptable range.   Has anyone else had this experience?

Good luck to all of you and I hope it is a good recup experience. 

Phil

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Well done for sharing your story Phil. Good to see positive stories. Wishing you well on your continuing recovery. Take care and take it easy. This surgery as you said is a walk in the park for some and for others not so. You are well on the road to recovery. X
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It does sound much more complicated than you expected, especially having seen your wife do so well.  It is different for everyone and it's good to know that you found some manageable ways to cope with the after effects.  It's interesting about your blood sugar--while I was sick before and after the surgery, my blood sugar levels were the best they had ever been!  I thought it was because I was eating almost nothing.  Wonder if there have been any studies about GB surgery and diabetes?  I hope you keep getting better and feeling well.

• Posted

Thanks,  ndm. Appreciate those good words.  Today was  a set back day, quite a bit of pain and gas.  Hoping for a better one tomorrow.  
    • Posted

Found some other patients on a different list who have had a decrease in blood sugar.  Nothing scientific yet.  
  • Posted

Hi...Phil - do you think you may have had a case of Pancreatitis?  Obviously the Pancreas makes  hormones insulin and glucagon and you say you are diabetic? Just a thought or did the doctors rule that out?

see link:

https://patient.info/health/acute-pancreatitis

• Posted

The doctor has not mentioned this as a possibility.  I am still  having some pain. Some days, it is worse than others.  The end of last week was really good and I thought things were on the mend.  Today, Sunday, the pain has been more uncomfortable with a return of quite a bit of gas.  I hope it is a temporary set back. Thanks for your reply. 
  • Posted

Update to above:  When I wrote my report above, I thought I was nearing the end and recovery seemed soon.  After 5 weeks I find that I am still have tons of gas and pain in the abdomen. It is generally not very severe, but it varies in intensity and is pretty constant. I went back to the GP and have to get blood work done.  Anyone have similar experience? Suggestions?
    • Posted

Hi Phil am sorry to hear this. Have you any diarrhea or constipation? Are the pains when you eat? Are you taking a ppi for your tummy? Does it feel like inflammation in your tummy? Could be a touch of gastritis. Gas is common after gallbladder removal and should settle down. 5 weeks is still too soon in my opinion. We all heal at different paces and respond differently to this surgery. Are you eating ok?
    • Posted

Thanks, Ace.  No diarrhea, no more constipation than usual which I take care of with milk of magnesia. I cannot say that the pains are just when I eat, but I think they are aggravated after I eat.  I take Zantac generic for the tummy.  Am eating OK.  Trying to watch the fats. I hope you are right and I will see improvement over time. 

How are you doing? Improvement? Thanks for the post.  Phil

• Posted

Hi Phil it's probably your digestive system adjusting to life with no gallbladder. Do you get nausea with it? I sometimes feel sick after I eat. Thankfully I haven't vomited in 13 days so am hoping am turning a corner. Still have the horrendous nausea and don't feel great and have had some Diarrhea and cramps. My gp has assured me that this will all settle down in time. She has seen this before with another patient of hers who had the nausea for 6 months and couldn't eat either. It gradually went away. Also heard of another woman who had vomiting and diarrhea for 8 months after gallbladder removal. Both people recovered fully from it so fingers crossed I will too. Am hearing more and more of people who had problems for months afterwards. Also heard of another 2 people who vomited for 3 months afterwards and couldn't eat but have also recovered. Just take it easy with the food and eat little and often instead of the 3 meals a day. Hopefully it will all settle for you soon. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks, Ace. Great news about the vomiting!  Glad to hear about the recovery cases.  Hopefully we will be in that category sooner rather than later. Good luck and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.