Large complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

I wish i had found this forum a month ago!!! Looking for positive stories! Here's my back story.

I saw a post on a news feed about the hidden signs of ovarian Cancer. I read it and became immediately scared that I had something wrong with me as i had many of the symptoms (FYI - I had been to the GP in the autumn about how tired i was and how i felt anemic like i did when i was pregnant but blood tests showed nothing so i had just started to put how i felt down to my cycle returning since having my daughter). I couldn't get to see my GP until the 4th January and when i told her my concerns she dealt with me with empathy and was understanding of my worries rather than dismissing me as being depressed and anxious (which is how i felt). On the back of this I had an ultrasound scan on Sunday 24th Jan and was simply told that I had a complex cyst on my left ovary that would need an urgent gynae referral to be removed 'and try not to worry!' (geez, if only it were that easy!) I spoke to my GP the next day and she ordered the CA 125 (tumor marker) blood test which fortunately come back negative just before my gynae consultant appointment. I was hopeful that on the 9th Feb I would be booked in for an op and that would be the end of that!

But it wasn't!

As I sat there clutching my hubby's hand, I found out that my complex cyst is in fact the size of a grapefruit at 8cm. My best friends have named it Geoff (Grapefruit became GF which became Geoff!). It has multiple chambers and could be completely benign but it could also still be malignant. Before the consultant can decided how to evict Geoff I needed to have a full pelvic MRI scan (to assess the cyst in more detail and see if he has any friends in there) and further blood tests to rule out other tumour factors. Both have now been done and i see the Gynea consultant on Tuesday 1st March to get my diagnosis and discuss treatment.

To say that I am terrified is an understatement. Im 34, with a 3.5 year old son and nearly 2 year old daughter. I have so much left to do in this life but scared I'll be told its cancer (even though im low risk). I keep getting pinching pain around my ribs that remind me of stretching pains when pregnant. Im hoping it's just Geoff pushing things up under my ribs rather than cancerhat has spread. I go from feeling confident that all is ok to a blubbering wreck within minutes. The waiting is tortue! But im kinda relieved to see im not alone.

Any words of wisdom appreciated! And love and hugs to those of you going through similar.X

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow is all I can say! What an emotional rollercoaster you've been through! My story seems so little compared to yours I feel like giving you the biggest cuddle ever ...!!!! Has the doctors not given you any reassurance or any support ? To speak to someone whilst your going through this? I know it's easy for me to say and hard for you to do, but you need to stay positive and strong for your kiddies aswell as yourself! Keep busy and do little things with them but not too much that it causes you pain! Hope your ok today! Xxxx
  • Posted

Prayers with you for strength! I know u will be fine n this is very high probability, benign!!! I've had one for 2- years . Not as large, but anything that large would not be cancer because if it were, you would have a high ca 125. Complex cysts usually r benign. Wish u much luck, please let me know how things go! 💛😇🙏
  • Posted

Aw try not to worry but easier said than done though. I had m/c in Dec 2014 while they were confirmed baby had no heart beat they also found a 6cm mass which was more than likely a dermoid cyst but this could be confirmed until I had it removed & pathology results. It was attached to my right ovary. After months of worrying that it was ovarian CA I had my op & it was a simple dermoid cyst. I was so relieved as I really made myself ill with worry. My ca125 was also within normal range. I'm 32 & have a 3 year old. It's very easy to go on to google and make yourself ill with reading lots of forums and self diagnosing but don't do it. I'm not expecting again following my surgery.

Keep us posted on how you get on but I'm sure you will be fine x x

• Posted

Sorry it should read that I'm now expecting after my surgery due in 9 weeks x
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you are so worried..why don't you pop over to our Facebook group Ovarian Cancer UK..it's a closed group but anyone facing diagnosis can join for support. I joined like you prediagnosis and the support has been unbelievable. Yes it's a good sign that your Ca125 was not raised but unfortunately until the mass is removed and sent for biopsy you will be in doubt. The waiting stage is the worst!! anyone going through what you are at present needs more support than a few replies and the fb page are so welcoming and full of knowledge.

Good luck

Angela xx

• Posted

Hi pea pod

You are most definitely not alone, in fact I have just registered and was about to post a discussion similar to yours.

I suffered severe stomach cramps last month and my doctor sent me for an ultrasound which shown that I have an 8cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and torsion of the ovary is what caused my pain. So I've now seen the gynaecologist who said I triggered the ca125 test, she reckoned it's possibly just because I'm all inflamed and tender down there but I'm being sent for an mri and I've to have a laparotomy. Well I've been an emotional wreck since I was told that, I'm 35 with a 2yr old and 5yr old and while I'm not planning any more kids I'm scared about the possibility of having ovaries removed. ..she even suggested I might need a hysterectomy. All the waiting around for the mri appointment is painful, really just want the next few weeks to pass quickly.

Anyway, sending big hugs, good luck for your gynae appointment. ((HUGS)) xx

• Posted

Massive hugs! Sounds like exactly what I'm going through and it all sucks! Although I had wanted one more baby I'm almost too scared to now as the thought of not being around for my kids terrifies me. At least tomorrow I will know more!

The waiting is torture but I find talking helps so please message me any time. It will come round quickly for you!! Hugs!!X

• Posted

Aw thanks Peapod ☺ been feeling so queasy yesterday and today, can't stop worrying/over thinking it.

How did you get on at your Gynae appointment?? Its a week tomorrow since I saw mine and I'm fed up waiting already 😂 xxx

• Posted

Hi, yes try not to worry. I went to the gps twice last year with discomfort in my left abdomen. Finally had an ultrasound on 18 jan this year when they found a giant cyst 28x24x20cm, mine has a number of daughter cysts inside.They did bloods and an MRI but are as sure as they can be it is benign as all my organs look ok. Even though it is massive and I look 9 months pregnant there does not seem to be any urgency so remove it so I am scheduled for surgery in five weeks. Take your lead from the medics. They see this all the time and know exactly the right treatment for you. Google is a menace and throws up loads of scare stories, but everyone is different, and I'm sure your doctors are on top of it. 

Hope all turns out fine for you, I'm sure it will. 

• Posted

Praying for all of you facing surgery, I do hope you can let us know the outcome. This info would be most helpful to all of us with the jitters! 

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🙏❌❌

• Posted

Heard from the hospital today, I've to go for my MRI scan tomorrow afternoon, so glad the appointment come through quickly.

Hope everything is ok Peapod, keep us updated (((HUGS))) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.