large complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi ladies

i just found this wonderful forum 2 weeks ago when i was first dxd w a very large, football size, cyst on my right ovary.

this cyst has taken over much of my abdomen and is up under my ribs. .tomorrow i meet with a surgeon to.have it removed. he is a gyn onc and supposed to be excellent. my question for you all is what should i ask him? should i ask him what all hes going to remove? should i say ok to that?

im 56 and post menapause but ive read that ovaries do continue to produce some hormones that are necessary.

i hae heard my surgeon doesnt have a great bedside manner so i want to have clear concise questions to ask.

you have all been a huge help to me already. since reading your stories i feel confident that this will go well.

still scared tho...no lie.

thank you all

xx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

good morning ladies 😀

tomorrow is my surgery for my giant cyst .eek!!

i am both nervous and excited !

i am expecting everything to go exactly as planned, laparascopic, with no complications.

i will post afterwards to let you all know how it went and to hopefully reassure some else on this journey.

thank you all for your support and encouragement!

xx

• Posted

You will be fine!  Glad to hear you can have laproscopic.  I too had a football sized cyst, however I needed fully invasive surgery.  My growth was benign too :>wink  Good luck with the recovery.

• Posted

hello ladies!!

ive just come back to share that my surgery for my giant cyst was yesterday and all went exactly as i had hoped, a laparascopic proceedure as opposed to open surgery.

apparently, this is the removal proceedure of choice here in US regardless of how big these get, which can be massive!

my surgery was @ 90 minutes long and most of that was for draining the beast. after it was drained they removed it and both ovaries and tubes. my uterus got to stay . there was no good reason to take it so the thinking is it serves a structural purpose. makes sense to me so im ok with that.

the mass is called mucinous cystadenoma .

i was told it was benign immediately on the way to recovery but the official pathology on ovaries and tubes wont be back for 2 weeks . ill be seeing my awesome surgeon on july 21 for the follow up and reports.

i was home by 3pm yesterday and slept until 5. had only 2 pain killers and not much bleeding so today im almost feeling good.

i hope this helps someone who is facing a cyst removal, particularly if it is big.

the waiting was hardest and all the testing..fear of unknown and surgery ...

but it all goes by and soon you will be over it and

recovering 😁

this forum has been immensly helpful to me and i thank all you warrior women whose stories ive read over the past few weeks. i wish all the best for you !!

xo

stacie

• Posted

Really pleased it's all over for you Stacie, and you are back home.

Just remember although it was done laparoscopaly it's still major surgery, and take your time to recover.

Let everyone else do the running around for a few months, you need the rest!

Best wishes for a good recovery.confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.