Large fibroid in cervix

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just been back to consultant after having MRI as I have 9cm fibroid in my cervix which is attached to the uterus. Dr has said it's very usual due to its location, he has prescribed Esmya for 6 months to try and shrink it to maybe allow easier access for surgery but he doesn't think it will Make much difference as it's outside of the uterus. He has said there is a risk of heavy bleeding during surgery when he detaches it which will result in uterus having to be removed, I'm only 30. Has anyone else had a fibroid like this and had successful surgery? I'm a bit apprehensive of going on tablets for 6 months which will more than likely have little effect.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You do not need to remove your uterus if your fibroids are growing outside of your uterus. All of my fibroids were growing outside of my uterus and not inside hence the reason why I had no issue with bleeding. When you have fibroids inside the uterus is when you have heavy bleeding. Be wary of doctors who want to remove your uterus just for an easy way out. A hysterectomy should be your last resort. You are only 30 and do not need your uterus removed. There are other alternatives. I would look into all possible choices before deciding to do any hysterectomy.
    • Posted

i absolutely agree with what you said about doctors who looks for easy way out. i also wanted to know if the fibroids that grows outside the uterus have any symtoms and do they still grow big?
    • Posted

Jay, 

All 10 of my fibroids  were growing outside of my uterus. I did not have any issues with a lot of blood during my periods other than having periods twice a month sometimes and very irregular. My other symptoms included looking like I was 3 to 4 months pregnant, having the urgency to urinate since the biggest fibroid was sitting on top of my bladder, feeling uncomfortable and full. Happy to say after 6 mths my fibroids are half the size now and still shrinking. 

Those were my main symptoms

• Posted

ok that is wonderful. what did you take to shrink the ones outside?

because i have both inside and outside the womb.although the doctor has schedule me to remove the inside ones.

• Posted

Hi,

All 10 or so of my fibroids were outside my uterus. I did not have any fibroids growing in my uterus. The uterine fibroid embolization procedure stopped the oxygen flowing in all of them. I saw the before and after MRI pics. Was a good feeling. Not sure what's best for fibroids inside the uterus as that wasn't my issue. Hope this helps. smile 

• Posted

Hello, I am 26 and had 5 fibroids removed six months ago. Drs are obliged to tell you about the risk of a hysterectomy but in terms of percentages it is very rare that this will happen. 3 of my fibroids were outside of the uterus and I did not experience a heavy amount of blood loss during surgery. Before my operation I had multiple blood tests so they had blood spare incase unneeded a transfusion during surgery, but again this did not happen and even if I did need a transfusion again it did not mean I would need a hysterectomy. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Heya, you need to find a doctor who is competent in keyhole or open myomectomy. Where do you live? Can you seek a 2nd opinion?
  • Posted

Hi there. I'm not one to join things like this but saw your post and wanted to share my personal experience. For years I've struggled with abnormal bleeding. After many tests and exams I was told it was hormonal. They were suggesting birth control, an IUD or an ablation. I had concerns over a "nabothian cyst" that was growing on my cervix. I was told it was nothing. When the abnormal bleeding was coming more often I decided to get a second opinion. Boy I was glad I did! This new doctor within 10 days and 3 visits was able to see that this "cyst" was a fibroid. They don't normally grow there so he said I was unique. Initially he wanted to try and remove it but out of concern for a lot of blood loss, he felt a partial hysterectomy was best. So two days before I turned 34, I had my surgery. Actually, tomorrow is 3 weeks since I've had it. My pathology was all completely normal. However, he did say, had we did the initial surgery of trying to remove it, there would have been no way to do so. I have 2 children so the hysterectomy was a good choice for me and my circumstance. I have no regrets! My surgery was a success and I only had one incision in my belly button!  I wanted to share this because I was very frustrated for a long time. I really hope the best for you. Reach out to me anytime. I loved my doctor. I'd recommend him to anyone suffering from things like this. 

• Posted

Hi-- I don't usually comment on threads either, but I saw your reply to this one and your story sounds frighteningly similar to what I'm going through... I have a cervical fibroid that was misdiagnosed as a nabothian cyst for years, and now that I know what it is I am trying to seek answers/actions. I am not a candidate for fibroid embolization since it's on the cervix, so they're saying next step is surgery. Can you tell me a bit more about your experience? I'm 27 and don't want kids, so I am open to hysterectomy/partial hysterectomy but it does sound like a "worst case" option. How big was your fibroid? I've had abnormal bleeding and my gyno keeps writing it off as "a bad period" (8 oz in 24 hours is more than a bad period, jeez), but not any other significant symptoms. 

• Posted

Hi Lauren. My gyn had concerns of excessive bleeding. Had he tried to cut the fibroid off, there would have been no stopping the bleeding. I would have ended up with a partial hysterectomy at that point anyway. So for me, the option to just do the partial was a better choice. I had minimal blood loss and now that it’s been almost 4 months, I feel really good and like myself. For me the fibroid was about the whole bottom half of my cervix. They will continue to grow. That was another concern I had. Depending on how big yours is and if they can successfully cut it off and keep the bleeding under control, they may be able to remove it and save your cervix. Every doctor is different. Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion. That’s what saved me. I found a hospital I liked and found a gyn who practiced there. I really hope this helped you. I feel for your frustration! 
  • Posted

I am 50 y.o and I had 6 cm cervical fibroid .December 19, 20017 I had surgery at Mayo Clinic , just removed fibroid . It was in and out outpatient surgery with minimum blood loss. Your doctor trying to make money of you and telling you that it impossible to just remove tumor . Bad doctor . Hysterectomy is a big surgery with a lot of complications in surgery and in the future . You will be at high rick of pelvic organs prolapse and its the end of your sex life without cervix , you will have no orgasm .  Try to find different doctor . Good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.