Large gap between big toe and second toe!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm nearly 6 weeks post op on a minimally invasive bunion surgery to my left foot. I've waited about 30 years to have a nice foot!!

I get my bunion sorted only to have a large V shape gap between my big toe and toe next to it.

I'm gutted as would love to wear pretty sandles. I thought that after having my bunion sorted and looking good I'd be able to wear pretty sandles but oh no. Not with this gap ??

Anyone else suffered this gap?

I'm hoping over time it may close up itself or I'm wondering if I may need some kid of surgery to correct the problem??

Thanks in advance

Gillian

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi, I had a large bunion and a broken toe next to my big toe.  At first appointment was told I could have bunion removed and the 2nd toe straightened. I had some pain but also struggled to get any shoes to fit.  On the dayof surgery the surgeon said that I had two options - have a big toe fusion, which meant that I would still be able to wear  a small heel, or to break my big toe, but if this was done the bunion could still come back.  He said unless I had lots of pain in my 2nd toe, it easn't worth doing that do.  I thought the bes toption was the former.  I'm still recovering from the op, and whilst it hasn't been particularly painful ( only pain seems to be where the some of the stitches did't come out and the areas are inflamed around them) my foot looks really wide and I have got an inch gap between my big toe and the 2nd one, so very disappointed and upset.  If I had read the reviews about this op, I would never have had it done.  I feel that the surgeon should have advised me of this outcome. 

• Edited

i have gap too. nearly 4 months after surgery, now im 4 weeks after second feet, Doctor for left feet didnt straighten that much, to not make big gap, now im scared.

also i was driving with both feets and working on feets since week 3

• Posted

Hi, I'm Diane from Florida. I am having the same issues as you. I'm so sad. I'm two months out from surgery. My x-rays look great but I've had issues with the healing process. I used non breathable bandages that actually hindered my recovery. My foot even got infected so I just finished 3 weeks of antibiotics. I have just started wearing fat slippers and Crocs but when I leave the house, I'm in a boot. It's tiring and it makes the swelling worse. I so hope that my toes will move closer together in the future! I've read all the comments and i wish everyone the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.