Large hernia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi we are in the U.K. would like to hear from anyone in the U.K. who has had an extremely large hernia operated on. Have been told they will operate but high risk. He’s over weight.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I also am in the UK (ref below comment) and I had, what seemed to me to be, a large abdominal incisional hernia. I estimate that it was in the region of 5-6cm in diameter. There have been two attempts at repairing this, the last one being done on 07/12/2017, so I am still in the “building up strength” phase of recovery. I was not overly heavy; my BMI was just inside the upper limit for my height/age/sex.

There’s always a risk, so anything that can be done to mitigate that is going to be beneficial. The statistics for "unsuccessful" repair or re-repair are not insignificant and dependant on many factors but by and large I don't have any regrets ...... yet!

Hope that helps.

(Small rant start: Considering that different regions of the world have different procedures and processes, so what might be relevant to one person may not be to another in a different area, why don’t they make this site such that a participant’s location is obvious? If people are sensitive to that snippet of data being out there it could always be made optional and marked as undisclosed: Small rant end.)

Regards,

Phil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.