Large Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been to GP this morning and now being referred back to the Torbay Hospital for an operation for a large hiatus hernia, which is growing pretty quick by all accounts.  Had some tests at the Hospital earlier this year and told they would keep monitoring the situation.

GP now referring me back to Consultant for the "op".

Hopefully I won't have too long to wait.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi can you tell me what tests you had for that please
    • Posted

Hi John 80670.  First had a full blood count followed by Barium X-Ray 3 months later due to symptions getting much worse another full blood count and an Endoscopy.  Its trippled in size since the beginning of the year.
  • Posted

LizzyOzzy, Do you have your story on here, I would like to read it if possible? Do you have GERD/LPR? What size is your HH and do you have breathing issues with it? I am happy that you are seeing an end to this illness.
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl06050.  Thanks for your message.  My HH is very large and has trippled in size since the begining of the year.  Breathing problems - definately.  Had a message late yesterday to say Hospital have been notified and will get back to me Wednesday of next week to discuss further issues for "op".  GP left message to say our waiting list is only a few weeks so should be done fairly soon.  I'm scheduled to stay in hospital for 5 days then transferred to Dartmouth Country Hospital overlooking the River Dart estuary for convelescent,  as I live alone for probably 2-3 weeks.

• Posted

Hi LizzyOzzy.  I am 10 weeks on from surgery to repair my hiatus hernia. It's been tough but wouldn't change back. Wonderful to breathe properly again and to be off all PPIs and gaviscon. I began having serious pain spasms as my stomach was in a bad place and this left surgeon no choice but to perform Nissen fundiplcation and HH repair. Hope you get surgery date soon x

• Posted

Well done Jennifer 24404.  10 weeks on that's great.  Never look back.  At the moment I cannot imagine not being in pain or able to breathe easier.  Are you now able to eat more normal foods or are you still on the more liquid diet still?

Onward and upward and I guess your the one in the crowd with a big beam on her face.  Best wishes for the future you deserve it.

• Posted

Hello again LizzyOzzy. Yes I am smiling. Post op is a very long process. I'm past liquid and liquid mushy diet. Eating fairly normally now...BUT very small portions. I can describe it as half a child's portion. If I overeat there's a lot of discomfort. 6 small meals daily is now the pattern and always will be. No fizzy drinks, no white bread. I will say that it's taken until past two weeks to get my whole digestive system from 'intake to output' to begin to normalise.Have you had your manometric tests done yet? These are important pre surgery. I do wish you well. No looking back....although I will say around week 3/4 I did wish at times that it hadn't been done.  My surgeon laughed at that last week and said many patients go through that stage. Be prepared fo very painful gassy wind post op...peppermint tea and a hot pack plus a regular walk around very helpful. J x

• Posted

Nearly a year since my op for giant hiatus hernia with volvulus and doing really well. Post op was not as bad as I feared and like you  I had 6 tiny meals a day for about 7 weeks,

Now  I eat 3 and a half well spaced meals and the only problem I have from time to time is a little bloating.

Good Luck both of you !

• Posted

Thank you Aprille. Glad you doing so well. Very encouraging. I am 10 weeks into recovery...I seem to be tolerating really small meals, get very bloated feeling. Quite a learning curve on when and what to eat. When did you stop feeling waves of tiredness? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.