Large Inrathoracic Stomach (paraesophageal hernia) heart, lung, breathing trouble.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hoping Med profs. & govt. officials are folowing. We can all learn from each other. Improvements in our HCare system are critical! Communication is so important. #Sharing is Caring.

(Thanks in advance to the P.A. who caught the anemia, N.P. who pumped me full of nutrients!)

Midwest U.S.- Struggling w/symptoms & under multiple/TEAM of Drs' care since 2010 (8 yrs). Not to mention multiple GIs care since 1996, when 'small' hiatal was found. Multiple Endos/Bariums/CTs since. No committments/direction from Docs/ERs. Just lots of appts/tests. (ERs did make standard comment on paper to 'f/up w/GP, FamDoc'.

Frightening when ERs, GIs, docs in your area don't understand, dont kno where to send you (or, are too frightened to get involved).

I asked Gen Surg about 'hiatal' repair but asked one more question...."what if it's a ParaEsophageal H?" GenSurgn, "oh, I would just have to sew you up, 'cause I can't do that procedure"(Collis/Belsey?)

Me-"mayb we should do a Barium Swallow?" Doc, "good idea"

(really dont think I should kno more than surg!?)

2013/14/15- Asked Gi/Surg/GP for help w/chest pain, diet, weightloss, referral s, breathlessness. Surgn never returns call about '13 BarSwal results. GI says "F/up w/'lead' doc." Chest pain has been reported repeatedly since 2013 endoscopy.

2014/15- I find BarSwal results in med. records ( "Very Large Intrathotacic Stomache"wink

Lots of pain/research later, I find Intrathoracic Hernia can press upon the heart/artery & keep the lungs from expanding. All symptoms are explainable/critical! Now, are they treatable, in the Midwest!

3 hospitals on East coast treat it. $$$, resources, strength gone. Help may be limited here in Midwest, but hopefully, others/professionals benefit from info. Good luck all!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jac97686,

Absolutely frightening and dreadful that your results had not been acted upon and you had to find out by reading the result and researching it yourself.

Tell me please, have you suffered from an annoying symptom where depending upon your position, you can feel  pulsating in your chest? It’s been bugging me for the past 6 weeks, that and shaky hands. Im wondering if my problem is similar to yours? I’m frightened to mention it again to the Doctors because I felt they dismissed it as a sign of a panic attack so they then didn’t take me seriously. 

This all started with horrendous heartburn and feeling seriously unwell but now that my heartburn has gone following 6 weeks on 20mgs Omeprazole twice a day I’m getting  mid back pain after eating and the intermittent throbbing chest and shaky hands feeling. 

I’m having an endoscopy tomorrow. Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Thank you and take care Jane 

• Posted

I had a paraesophageal hernia repair in 2/2017 I had the best gastrointestinal dr ever my hernia was 8 in wide I lived with it for 5 yrs had a finally had a 2nd camera go don’t and they found it I live in nc and Dr Heniford did the surgery he is the best he go’s all over the world to do seminars then he did several test and brought me into tell me it was a paraesophageal hernia and it was very dangerous well he was amazing no problems after surgery but it was an easy one BUT I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE THIS MY INTIRE STOMACH SLIPPED INTO MY CHEST THE CHIROPRACTOR DID IT ...NOT ON PURPOSE BECAUSE WE DIDNT NO I HAD IY AND NEATHER DID I .....FAMILY DR NO NOTHING ABOUT THESE TRUST ME I WENT TO AT LEAST 20 drs in 5 yrs I even quit work only 5 % of the population get this but a lot of people go just to a regular surgeon that has credentials to do this surgery but you need to go to a gastrointestinal dr who has don’t 10s of thousands of these type of surgery’s and it can be a dangerous surgery’s so DONT LET JUST ANY SURGEON DO A HERNIA REPAIR BECAUSE IT COULD BE FATAL I AM NOW IN NO PAIN IN THE STOMACH 
  • Posted

I couldn’t eat drink stand it was nothing I ever went through I went to the hospital several times then they to,d me they wanted to take out my gallbladder great they found the problem (not ) I had the same pain after and told me it was phantom pain I told them bulls**t I no my body and this is not in my mind that’s for sure had a endoscopy and the dr said you have a hiatal hernia that is 8 in wide but he didn’t no it was in my chest till I saw the gastrointestinal dr and he did several test swallow test put tubes in my nose and had to drink water the girl that did the test said wow you have a a ton of pressure ( which I already new .....this dr was unbelievable he was the best dr ever I would recommend him to anyone 160.000 dollar surgery and worth every penny 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.