Large Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an emergency Laparotomy to remove very large Ovarian Cyst along with the ovary it was attached to on 25th September last year. It was the largest my surgeon had seen in his career - 35cms diameter and held 9 litres of fluid!! A lot of you will wonder how/why i let it get to that size without doing anything about it. I thought it was my hernia (i had an umbilical hernia anyway for a couple years previous to this and the doctor wanted to leave it) and i was frightened quite honestly.

I went through a bad time after the operation, 6 days in ITU, then got a bad infection in my wound. I then had to go back to surgery to have the wound opened and cleaned - the wound was left open and measured roughly 10x10x10cm (length, width, depth). I was then put onto VAC therapy to heal the open wound rather than stapleing it back up, which i was able to go home with and have district nurses come to redress the wound every 2/3 days for about 6 weeks when the wound was small enough to be packed and dressed. My overall experience has been good though since being on the VAC, i healed extremely quickly, had very little pain/discomfort. My wound is now totally healed, although my tummy and belly button look a little strange and always will sad Life is now back to normal, thank goodness!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

thanks for your post, i recently had a scan on my kidney that showed up a large cyst (14cm) on my left ovary, also some other smaller cysts, this was in the last 48 hours and I know it will need to be surgically removed, in my head I have convinced myself that to be this size it must be something far more sinister and to hear that yours was so large but you have no other effects is encouraging.
  • Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you are in the same situation I was sad Your cyst is around half the size so it should be a fairly simple operation. I hope everything goes well for you smile Please let us know how you get on x
  • Posted

Message for seini..... how have things gone since your last post?? Really hope everything is ok smile
  • Posted

I have just come out of hospital having just had my right ovary removed as it had a 6 and a half inch Cyst on it. for once something positive for all you ladies out there to read. before I had my op I scared myself stupid for weeks bein frightened of the surgery as all I had read was horror stories about pain having theses things removed. let me just set the record straight . I've had a cut from my bikini line up to navel and stapled . only discomfort that's bearable . on my feet day 2 and home day 3. so pleased I had it done after bein worried silly for over a month. my hard part was the stress I went through before surgery not after.
  • Posted

oh by the way I'm sitting writing this just 2hours comin out of hospital .! :-) and very happy
  • Posted

To seini, has your dr not taken a blood sample to check your ca 125 levels? This is a marker for the likelyhood of ovarian cancer. With my large cyst all my blood checks came back normal so dont worry as the size doesn't necessarily mean it's a nasty cyst. Hope I've been helpful
  • Posted

I have been looking on the internet after i was told i have a cyst mass thats 19 x 15 x 14 on right side and some little ones on the left and not to worry about those ones they have fluid but the big one the doctors. Said i need to be worried about that one because its solid I have been in pain for over 2 years and I also thought it was my umbilical hernia which is over 12 centimeters big they all keep telling me i need to get it fixed asap i dont got alot of time??????? So did they do all your removal together? I have never been sick until these last two years why do these doctors all look like they have worried faces when they talk to me this will be my first surgery and I'm 45 years old I am very worried I appreciate it if you'll talk to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.