Large Ovarian cyst and Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am 29 and have been diagnosed with a 10cm simple - ish ovarian cyst on my left side.

I have seen the consultant and I am waiting for my operation. Yesterday my CA125 blood results came back as normal.

Before my ultrasound scan revealed the cyst, I was being investigated for IBS. I have terrible swelling in my stomach, dull ache in my lower back, bowel problems and I am often unable to finish meals.

All of these symptoms have been really uncomfortable along with occasional pain in my stomach. However I am now at the point where I can not eat at all. Since Sunday, everything I have eaten has resulted in the urgent need to visit the loo. I feel very very sick, drowsy and have a terrible upset stomach

All of this has resulted in me being really anxious, to the point where I had my first ever, quite large and scary, panic attack last night

I am wondering if anyone with a large cyst is suffering from bowel problems too? I know this is a personal question but I can't seem to find much linking the two together

Thanks,

Penny

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Penny.

Yes I can relate to this myself. I had an ovarian cyst at the age of 19. Many years ago.

I remember that my appendix grumbled with all the bacteria going on inside me, before they discovered I had a cyst!

It was very painful, to sit down lie down.

It was painful to go to the loo aswell.

All that pressure that is put on your abdomen and bowles,and bladder not surprising really.

But it's very reassuring to know that all this will disappear , once you have had the cyst removed.

Let me know how you get on.

God bless🐥

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Thank you for your reply. I was concerned as not many people mention that side of things when they are discussing their symptoms!

I am finding it very difficult to get comfortable at night when I am lying down and my stomach is constantly gurgling

Feeling very weak as I can barely eat at the moment. Operation might not be until around December time so I guess I am feeling frustrated and anxious about it all

Penny

• Posted

Hi Penny thanks for your reply.

I can tell you that you are only human, and anyone would be feeling the same as you.

I'm actually having to go for day surgery myself, in December. I have chronic pain in the winter mainly, with my lower back. 

I have slight scoliosis in my back.

Which can be very disabling at times.

I'm going to have a diagnostic procedure, where they inject a drug into my back to kill of the nerves that are causing me this pain.

So hopefully il be okay. Be more mobile in my lower back region. I'm scared of this too.

It's a natural reaction for both of us.

We will soon be up and running after a while I'm sure.

Medical procedures today, are quite remarkable. 

Take care. 

Fondest regards.

Liz🌺

• Posted

This is the first major thing to happen to me and first big operation

I am a terrible worrier and didn't know how scary anxiety and shock can be

That sounds awful, wishing you a speedy recovery after it all

Many Thanks,

Penny

• Posted

Hi Penny,  without a doubt I think the stress of the situation has upset you a lot.. It is very easy to dismiss what stress can do when we worry.. I have suffered with cysts a long time..I also suffer with Ibs sometimes I find it differcult to differentiate what is causing my pain, please be reassured that they are extremely thorough when investigating. If you are having surgery to remove the cyst please bear in mind that scarring causes additional problems so please ask how they propose to avoid that. Good luck ..Sal
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

Yeah I think it has quite a lot. I am constantly worrying if there is something they have missed and whether the bowel problems are something else as I am pretty unwell with it all

I am having keyhole surgery, I will ask the surgeon about that at the pre op, thank you

Penny

• Posted

Hi Penny, that's good to know they intend to do a laprascope..that in itself will minimise the scarring.. And the healing time is far quicker.. Please let me reassure you a little....the fact that you have had a scan you say they have done a CA125  test and that they are investigating that you possibly suffer with Ibs is great..the blood tests alone will show up anything sinister..trust me I have been thru very similar... It is simply that you are worrying which is no doubt adding to your stress and stress feeds Ibs. Please try to eat even small light meals...maybe now is a good time to start a food diary to see which will help with your diagnosis of Ibs.  Also you may find trigger foods. Kindest wishes to you penny...try and relax.. Sal
    • Posted

Thank you, that's very reassuring

My GP isn't sure if I have IBS or if it is simply the cyst causing the symptoms. They said they will continue to investigate IBS if symptoms persist after the operation

I think, because I am at the point now where everything I am eating is followed by pain and needing to run to the loo, is causing some panic

I think I will see how I am with that for a few days and then maybe go back to see my doctor about it

I am very stressed, so you could be right about that making everything worse

Thank you for your kind wishes, it always helps to talk to people who have gone through something similar!

Penny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.