Large ovarian cyst and surgeon wants to take everything out.

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I'm 45 and last week I had severe abdominal pain and went to A and E. They were great there and I had an ultrasound which showed up a large mass. I had an MRI scan 3 days later and saw the surgeon yesterday. He said my bloods have all come back normal and although the cyst is large (16cm by 18 cm) he is very confident its benign. However he has scheduled me for surgery in the next few weeks to have a full hysterectomy and is going to remove my appendix and also the fatty lining of my bowel. He says this is just in case of anything in the future. Has anyone else had this surgery and to this extent? 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

I am 64. I have just had total abdominal hysterectomy for a cyst which was not as large as yours. My bloods were also ok. Cyst is not thought to be nasty but still waiting results.  I had appendix removed when 16 years old. Probably a ruptured cyst at that time as appendix was ok. Not sure about the lining of your bowel as that would suggest inside it which is a different operation. However I was happy to have everything removed as I certainly did not want to be back in the future with yet another cyst or problem. Obviously I am post menopause and that will be a consideration for you. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. My surgeon has a very good reputation and has explained why he wants to remove everything. I'm concerned about after the op as my periods have always been normal and it will mean pushing me through an early menopause. I certainly wouldn't want to have to have another op and I do trust him but it's a lot to take in. 

• Posted

Hi -even though large cysts are less likely to be malignant, the scope of the surgery might be to save you facing 2rounds. I'm 41 and last year I was diagnosed with a 20cm cyst and had it removed through open surgery along with the ovary it was attached to. My bloods and MRI hadn't shown anything of concern, but the histology on the cyst showed it to be a borderline tumor. So 2 months after I had the first surgery, I went in for a complete hysterectomy and removal of other ovary and omentum. I went into menopause immediately but been on HRT and that's been a big help. Unfortunately due to being opened twice within a short period and probably doing too much, I developed an incisional hernia. I've just recently had keyhole surgery to get that repaired (using mesh) so I can see the benefit of having one surgery to get the cyst out and the hysterectomy as a precautionary measure. 

All the best with your op, take things easy and listen to your body :-)

• Posted

Hi Lisa, just wonder if you exprienced  any side effects of taking HRT?
    • Posted

Hi Grace, I've actually been ok - only thing I've noticed is weight gain (put on a stone since the ops last year so assume this is the effect of hrt), and my sleep has never been the same -used to be a solid sleeper and now find I never get a full nights sleep without waking up...

• Posted

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharging. The doctor said mine might be a borderline too. Was a frozen section performed during your operation?
    • Posted

Hi Grace, I would assume so but was never told they did. I was given the histology  report a couple of weeks after the op when they called me in.

when are you in for surgery again?

• Posted

My surgery was scheduled on Feb 23. i am in Canada, the wait for treatment is so slow.
  • Posted

Hi, I will be 65 in a few days, I have a cyst, I quote,  probable dermoid cyst large (11 x 9 cm) the ultrasound showed a midly thickened endometrium of 6 mm.  My bloods are normal. I was supposed to have a full hysterectomy and a hysterecsopy to check the midly thickened endometrium. I am still unsure of what to agree to. I am at the moment on a waiting list for surgery.  I will keep you posted if I get mine done before yours. I wish you well
  • Posted

Hi Janemabel, how is it going? Is your cyst a complex cyst? I am 43 , have a large complex cyst 11 x 13x 16. My CA125 number is 18. I was scheduled for surgery on Feb 23. I am so hesitated to have a full hysterectomy.
    • Posted

Hi grace,

yes they have described mine as a complex cyst. I have had my pre op tests and am scheduled for my surgery next Wednesday the 18th. 

I am hesitant like you to have a full hysterectomy however due to my age and the fact the cyst is so large (and it's getting bigger by the week) I trust my surgeon when he says a hysterectomy is the best thing to prevent any further issues or possible cancerous cells etc.

The alternative is to do a biopsy when they take the cyst out and then if it is cancerous or borderline then having a further op to do the hysterectomy.  Although I know I will have to consider HRT etc I would rather have it all done now and be clear of any issues in the future then take my chances if that makes sense?

i don't know your situation but I have not had children and don't intend to and I think I, starting to begin the menopause also.

• Posted

Glad to hear that your surgery is next Wednesday, i can't wait to take mine out ,but still have to wait another month, i couldn't help thinking of "what if" , it's so stressful.. sad

?i am a mother of 2, don't want to have any more children. i still have normal period. I don’t want

Glad to hear that your surgery is next Wednesday, i can't wait to take mine out ,but still have to wait another month, i couldn't help thinking of "what if" , it's so stressful.. sad

?i am a mother of 2, don't want to have any more children. i still have normal period. I don’t want a full hysterectomy because i am so afraid of the side effects of HRT.  So i really just want to have the cyst, affected ovary and two fallopian tubes removed.

I found out about my cyst also because of the severe abdominal pain. Can you please keep posted here the results of your surgery?  That will be very helpful to me, much appreciated.  All the best with your surgery.

• Posted

Yes of course I will keep you updated. I'm terrified if I'm honest about the whole op and like you about having to probably go on HRT. 4 days to go for me. I can't wait to get the cyst out but know I'm going to have a long road to recovery.??

• Posted

yes, i totally understand your fear as i feel the same way as you, you are not alone. Even i had two c sections for giving birth, i still scare about the op, it's so different.

?Let's be positive, hope for the best. if you feel stressful, a good stress relieve for me is go for a brisk walk.

• Posted

Well I had my surgery 6 days ago and came home from hospital this morning. IMy cyst was the size of a rugby ball and weighed eight pounds apparently! I have a large vertical incision from above my belly button to my pubic area. The surgeon did a great job though and the stitches are all on the inside and the scar looks pretty neat all things considered.

i was in a great deal of pain when I came round and I had to have 50 ml of Morphine which is a big dose apparently. I stayed on a morphing pump for 2 days then took myself off it as I didn't want it be masking the pain and then do too much if that makes sense.

my biopsy results will be back in about a week but my surgeon thinks they will be ok.

i have a long road to recovery but so far so good. Saying that even a short car journey home from the hospital had me in agony today but I had to get home somehow! 

I also started HRT today, I am on the a low dose of the one that is from horses wee?! Anyone else on this?

• Posted

Hi argh bless you, what a whopper! Mines only 10cms, and we part company at the end of the week.

I remember the car journey home very well, my hubby probably regretted picking me up because I did nothing but moan, I'm going to remind him so perhaps he can be a little more mindful this time.

Hope your recovery is good and your results come back fine.

Take care and take it steady, you really do need to take all the time you need.

Hope you get on ok with the HRT, I'm hoping to avoid the full op but am preparing myself just in case my cyst is a nasty one. X

• Posted

Hi Flapjack,hope your op went well and you recover soon.Thinking of you x
    • Posted

I'm doing ok, just very tired and not able to focus on books tv or phones for long, this general anaesthetic lark is mind blowing. I was mobile on day 2 but even more so today, walked a fair bit already.

• Posted

Hi Janemabel, how was your recovery so far? Everything go Ok? It's almost three weeks. What's it like to start HRT?

?My surgery is coming up on the 23rd this month. The thought of all of the pain and the uncertainty at times makes me stressed out

• Posted

hi Flajack, how is it going? Have you had your surgery yet? I too am undecided about full op. I will have an appointment with my gyno next Tuesday to consult the possibility of frozen section during the op.
    • Posted

Hi grace34257

Surgery done and I've been home almost a week now. It went ok, can't remember what is said initially about my situation but in short, had 9 cm ovarian cyst, was told it was "nasty" "not a simple cyst" and offered a hysterectomy, (ca125 of 25) I was so shocked by what was suggested that surgeon then went on to offer option of a removal of tube, ovary, cyst and biopsy of omenotum. Leading up to surgery was a bit traumatic, my veins collapsed, they managed to "squeeze" blood from by beaux they'd take the rest while I was under. I went in for 11 and was wide awake in recovery by 3, went back into the ward at 4. My surgeon didn't come and see me personally after the op but sent one of his team along with the anaesthetist.....I'm still questioning this in my head??? Op went well, apparently I had severe adhesions but cyst was a simple one (only 7cms) and was removed as planned along with tube, ovary and biopsy. I distinctively remember saying I'd made the right desision then! Probably something the surgeon wouldn't have wanted to hear hence the no show perhaps? I'd like to think not but it does make me wonder.

What is a frozen section all about? I've not heard of this before.

Recovery is going well and I'm relying less on pain killers already, I'm starting to feel normal until my feet reach the floor then I feel 90 and everything is in slow motion 😉

• Posted

Hi Grace,

My recovery is going well, slow but sure. I got good news on Friday from my consultant to say the cyst was benign and no sign of any cancerous cells which was a massive relief! I'm walking 5 mins daily and have pretty much stopped taking painkillers. I'm nowhere near going back to work yet but considering the scale of my surgery that's not surprising. 

The HRT seems to be fine. Mentally I feel well and touch wood so far so good on it, no noticeable side effects.

It is a stressful time but pain can be managed and you just need to recover at your own rate. I am bored though!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.