Large Ovarian Cyst Operation... Terrified!

Posted , 7 users are following.

End of August this year I was diagnosed with an Ovarian Cyst that they believe is 30cm.

I'm booked in for surgery the end of this month and I am terrified of the recovery period and the operation too because 1. Im a nurse and know what they do and 2. Because I don't want to wake up with no reproductive system.

I am losing the ovary and tube and because I am only 25, I'd like to go on to have children in the near future so I'm having nightmares of them cutting me open finding out it's completely messed with my insides and take it all out.

They have told me they plan to go in keyhole but if they find it difficult, they will make an incision on my bikini line and I will have a c section like cut.

I can't take codeine and I'm sure paracetamol won't touch a surgical incision pain! All I'm left with is morphine!

I'm also curious to know how much this could weigh? Trying to look at the positives in this... I'm surely going to lose a considerable amount in a matter of hours. If I think of the fact I'm being operated on and losing some of my reproductive system, I think I will become very depressed and hate my body even more than I already do. It got this large and has destroyed my insides (and outside for that matter) before giving me any sign it existed. My body has let me down.

Has anyone had a similar size cyst? How was the op? The recovery? I'm trying to prepare myself for everything otherwise I will be a wreck haha!

Thanks for taking the time to read this essay!

Kellie x

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I m scheduled to see an oncologist because my gynecologist said mine was 15 cm...I go next week and pretty nervous. It's been making me pee more and it hurts when I do certain things. I'm not sure if it's getting bigger either.. Good luck love

• Posted

Thank you. Good luck to you too, I'm sure everything will be fine. These things are so common, just scary when it's you.

• Posted

Hi Sara, I have a cyst as well and I totally understand your nervousness. Just try to keep positive. The unknown is scary. One technique i use is a warm bath and a netflix movie... this is a good distraction for me. 

• Posted

Hi there, 

Thank you for the recommendation on bath and Netflix... That's exactly what I'm going to do tonight... I have my appointment next week so that will take some stress off because I will know more..

• Posted

hello sarah.

i feel your pain i wee lik 50 times a day with my ovarian mass. i keep saying to my bosses at work i wounder what its like to not need a wee. i feel awful because i think they think im taking the micheal but i seriously need a wee. im due for ny operation soon so will kep you informed if the urge to we goes straighy away and please dont worry your in safe hands with the righg people. xxxxx

• Posted

I had a mass on my ovary that was discovered on a cat scan and an ultrasound in the ER on June 1st of this year. I am 49 years old so fertility was not an issue for me. The issue was that the surgeon wanted me to have a colonoscopy, an EKG, a mammogram, a pap smear, and blood work done because he wanted to know what he was dealing with. It took over a week to get an appointment with the surgeon and 3 more weeks to get tests done with results back. In that time my "football" sized mass grew to be a "watermelon" size mass. If they had done the surgery right away, I most likely wouldn't have the large incision that I do. It is from the sternum down to my pubic area. I had a total hysterectomy and appendix removed. It turned out to be a borderline mucinous tumor which is a tumor with low malignant potential. I have a very low tolerance for pain so I had no problem taking the morphine. I did not become addicted to it. It just helped the pain. I am twice your age and had some complications after surgery (UTI and then became severely anemic and needed blood transfusion) I talked to several people with the same incision that I had and they didn't seem to experience the pain that I had. I am over 3 months post o.o and have a very physical job. I still feel sore in my abdomen after an 8 hour work day. I returned to work 8 weeks after surgery. Mucinous tumors can get very large and the percentage of these are low. As long as your cyst is not this kind and doesn't grow any larger, you should still be able to have children. Mine didn't give me any warning either until I had pain on my right side which is what took me to the ER in the 1st place. I hope your surgery is a success. The fact that you are in your 20's should help with your recovery time. Please post after you have had surgery!

• Posted

Hi Kellie,

I have an ovarian cyst around 30 cm as well.  I am older than you, and I have already had my children, but I was informed that they can not drain this type of cyst (that I have).  So, I will be having a full midline incision from above the belly button vertically down to the bikini line.  I am scheduled for surgery 11/01.  I know exactly what they do as well.  This is a major, major, major thing for me, as most all of my internal organs have been displaced by the cyst.  I do not have a functional or simple cyst, as it is a multi-loculated cystadenoma or cystadenoma carinima.  They aren't sure whether it is potentially cancerious or not, which is why it can't be drained  - so that no fluid could get into the pertineoal cavity (This is what I was told anyways).  Most everyone that I have spoken to it take 3-4 weeks recovery, even with keyhole surgery.....longer 4-6 weeks for bikini type incisions, and 4-8 wks for laparotomy.  It really does depend on exacly what procedure is being done, if there are any adhesions or scar tissue that needs to be removed, etc., etc.  Since no two cysts are alike, there is much variation.

• Posted

Thank you Michelle.

Sorry to hear your in limbo and that you've got to go through such a big operation.

I hope your operation goes smoothly and your recovery is speedy!

X

• Posted

hello,

im 25 and 12 week ago i got diognosed with a 12x16x8cm ovarin solid mass. i was put under and mdt team as there is debris,septations and small amount of fluid. ive been told by my surgeon i will be having a vertical cut as suppost to a c section. i am devastad. im worryiglike mad around recovery does it guer? they have told me they will put a catherter in whilst im asleep as they dont want me getting in and out of bed and also have a spinal block in so i dont feel any pain. im very i dependant and scared that the nurses are going to have to wasg me ect. ive had my pre op 4 weekago. they said anytime between 4 and 8 weeks i will be having it done im so scared help xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

As a nurse I'm not allowed to give advice over the internet as such because I'm not the one in your team but I can answer a few questions.

Catheter is so you don't retain and have to have a catheter when awake but nurses promote independence so will come out asap.

Washing- tell them your able to wash yourself (won't be having a full shower right away) but they will provide you with all the stuff you need to wash by the bedside and if you need any help at all do not feel afraid to ask for a hand, even if it's supporting you while you wash yourself or help washing your back. I like to encourage my patients to do what they can and I will more than happily help them do what they struggle with or just can't do. I don't want them becoming dependant because when they go home, they may not have help at hand so readily.

Pain- I can't lie, yes it's an operation and you will have cuts but it all comes down to perception and pain killers will be given to help and if what they give you don't work after a while tell them it still hurts and they can give you something stronger.

I hope this helps. Wish you a smooth operation and speedy recovery too!

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.