large ovarian cysts and hysterectomy

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have very large (23 cm) fluid filled ovarian cyst. I am 65, post menopausal. The doctor is cautiously optimistic that I don't have cancer but has recommended a total hysterectomy (all my lady parts and possibly my appendix), as well as biopsies of everything. Have you had this type of mass (I look quite pregnant), what did you do, and how do you feel now? My surgery is coming up Feb 3 so I really need some information on what happened to you.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you Virginias and to all the ladies who shared!  

I feel great comfort in reading all your stories, as I am so scared with my own upcoming surgery.   

• Posted

Good luck. When is yours? Cyst? I am happy I found this forum. It has helped me to hear what other people's experiences are. I think in the days I have left, though, that I have to stop thinking about it and make peace with it, stay positive and find a way to profoundly relax.
  • Posted

Why are you worried ?

My story is almost identical to yours other than age.....its the best thing I've ever had done !

I was in only 48hrs, no side effects, absolutely NO pain/killers, back to work after 2 weeks ......brilliant !

Frame of mind is crucial smile

• Posted

I had my surgery. I have a huge incision that challenges every move I. Make. It wraps around my belly button and heads south towards my pubic button. In an undulating curve... I will. It be at work in two weeks, o way. I am very g!ad to have this damn tumor out of my body. 21 cm! He said it looked like a squash...
    • Posted

I'm happy for you now your surgery is done. I think you'll be surprised how quickly things improve. See your surgical incision as a battle scar and be proud of it. Best wishes for your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you! I am still in hospital where I am being well taken care of.so tovery glad to be here. Very large vertical incision

With 17 staples and a huge cut, recovering well. Not easy but so relieved to have my cyst gone and surgery behind me.

• Posted

I am 44 and they just found a cystic lesion.  I have heard the word cystic, lesion and mass not sure what this all means.it measures 13.5 cm my guess is that they will take it out ASAP.  Very scared of the big C 
  • Posted

I am very grateful to find this discussion. I was researching online to find more information and ran across this. I am 53 and have been diagnosed peri-menopausal since around 40 via a hormone test and haven't had a cycle since June 12 this year. During a CT Scan to check my kidneys for kidney stones a few weeks ago they found a large cyst on my right ovary, they estimate it to be about 14cm. Do to my age and the size of the cyst they said I will have to be opened up and if I choose to because of my age I have the option of a complete hysterectomy. I have no intention of having anymore babies at my age, so I am choosing this option. Every woman I know personally who has had a hysterectomy is very happy they did. My surgery is set for Dec 21, 2016. My OBGYN surgeon has an OBGYN Oncologist scheduled to be on standby at the hospital as a precaution due to a slight elevation in a specific hormone or something in my blood test which can sometimes be a sign of cancer. Also my cyst is compartmentalized she said. She explained it as basically 3 different types of cysts, fluid filled, solid, and compartmentalized. Fluid filled she said are almost always benign, solid more frequently cancerous and compartmentalized can go either way and they don't know for sure until they get inside and take it out and send it to lab for testing. She said while I'm under the first thing she will do is remove the cyst and send it to their lab there for testing while performing the hysterectomy. IF it does show positive for cancer the Oncologist will be called into surgery to "clean" me up. He explained his role would be to remove all of the surrounding lymphnodes in the area and anything that looked suspicious then have those tested. IF the cancer hadn't spread should be fine, if it did then probably chemo/radiation etc. Luckily this is just a precaution having him on standby as neither are expecting cancer but they said even the tiniest chance of it causes them to take the extra precautions. I will inform you after surgery what they found and how it goes. I'm so glad to see many postitive stories here, I'm actually quite calm about it so far, but still doesn't hurt to have some reassurance smile All the experiences you have posted here does ease my mind and answer a few questions. Looking forward to seeing more on this conversation.

• Posted

Hi,  I had a 12 cms cyst removed on 21st September, together with ovaries, and everything else, including my appendix, as the cyst had attached to my right ovary, which wound itself round my appendix.  All the "material" was analysed and checked and all found to be benign.  I was opened up as well due to the size of the cyst, but all my stitches were done internally so I never had any external stitches at all.  Great.  I have had my check up and have now been discharged from the hospital which the instruction to massage my scar with any cream I have, doesn't have to be bio oil, can be anything, just to stop the place where I was stitched inside from going hard or lumpy.  To do this for a few weeks or so.  I feel good and my swollen tummy is going down gradually thank goodness.  Hope you are all okay and have a good recovery.  I am 73 by the way.

• Posted

Thank you very much I'm hoping recovery goes quickly and smoothly. Wow I am glad to hear everything went great for your surgery! I've never heard of no stitches on the outside after major surgery before, very interesting, hoping I get that lucky too, I'm expecting probably will be staples though like my C-section 20 years ago and my hip surgery in Feb. I will definitely ask my surgeon if it is possible to have the all internal stitches done though. Thanks for the information and great report, like I said I'm not really nervous, yet anyways lol, but hearing good reports is just like icing on the cake to keep me calm 

• Posted

I am also glad to find this discussion. I am 50 and going through the same situation. I had a spot on my right ovary 2 years ago. I was recently sent to get a pelvic ultrasound 2 weeks ago due to very bad cramping and bleeding. The spot grew to 17cm in my right ovary. The OB tried to do a biopsy but my cervix was closing up. They said my uterus is enlarged about the size of a 6 month pregnant woman. The cells are growing into my muscle. My second opinion OB told me that it would be best to remove everything. She made an appointment for me to see an oncologist, and they would work together if I do the surgery. My appointment is on the 27th with the oncologist. Then on the 28th with my OB doctor. I am usually very emotional, and worried that I haven't cried yet. But I am very happy to find this group discussion...Thank you to all that shared their stories.

• Posted

Forgot to update: My surgery went very good, they found a football/small watermelon (is the way the OBGYN described it and it looked in the pics she sent me of it) sized tumor that was stage 1 ovarian cancer. They removed all lymph nodes near the area and tested them and everything came back clear. I opted to not have chemo and changed my lifestyle becoming vegan, eliminating all refined sugars, white flours/rice/potatoes, eliminating as much artificial ingredients as possible, no artificial sweeteners at all, basically trying to eat super clean and get back to nature eating as much organic and NON-GMO foods I can get as well as replacing all chemicals in my home with natural alternatives. Just recently at my follow up appt. they found cancer cells in my pap smear and I have had a blood test and CT scan that I am waiting for results on. I'm actually not worried at all since I've watched The Truth About Cancer: A Global Quest 9 part docu-series and found out that at any given moment anyone can have cancer cells in their body but when your body is healthy enough it has cancer killing cells that come and destroy the cancer cells before they can take root and grow into a tumor. I'm believing God is with me and that His plan for our body to take care of itself is working just fine and my results will be that they found nothing there. I will try to remember to update when I find out more from the test results. Until then God bless you all in your journeys and I pray for a healing touch on you all.

• Posted

Hello Diana I am praying everything goes well for you. Really everyone is so different, I have never been worried or been upset about the cancer except one day recently at the thought of them finding cancer cells again but then I got over it and realized my God has got my back and I will be just fine, there is a big difference between finding cancer cells and finding cancer. Keep us posted how it goes for you on your journey.
  • Posted

I'm 65 and three yrs ago during an emergency appendectomy a 6cm ovarian cyst was discovered and I was told after an ultrasound just to keep an eye on it. Now it has grown to 12cm and I have developed another small one on the other ovary, and of course they advise a hysterectomy because of my age and tendency to grow these things. It seems that most of you have had the surgery via abdomin and I was wondering if anyone reading this forum has had a vaginal hysterectomy with such a large cyst, or knows of someone who has. The recovery is supposed to be easier but I've heard also that there may be more of a risk to other organs doing it this way. Any feedback?

• Posted

I had similar and had operation this time last year. I insisted on all parts going as doctor only wanted ovaries. I had a bikini line cut as right ovary was to be removed intact just in case. Home within two days. I was already very tired prior to op and this stayed for some time - months rather than weeks - although I did get back to doing things by April/ May eg we went for a month caravan holiday in France and Italy and I did most touristy things.  It was October when I realised how good I was feeling and I felt that I was back to being ‘me’ .  Don’t regret having operation and just wished we had realised sooner what was wrong with me. I wish you a speedy recovery 
    • Posted

It’s really encouraging to read all your comments ladies.

I have a very large ovarian cyst (22 cms in the last scan) and will have a full hysterectomy on Monday ... 

My CT 125 was 40 but gynécologist is very reassuring 

So am quietly confident that it looks all good especially as I had a cyst before when I was pregnant (20 years ago.. this was removed during ceasarian section . Am feeling very nervous but can’t wait for it to be done as I am so uncomfortable 

My blood pressure is very high and am out of breath after a few meters...

Am very slim so I look pregnant 

Am 49 years old 

Any tips for recovery?

X

• Posted

I joined the hysterectomy association and they gave you updated targets to achieve from the date of your op. Mainly walking. Each day I tried to do a little more but started small eg down the drive and back. I also slept lots! Morning and afternoon to begin with then just pm. I think main thing is to listen to your body. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank-you, that's really helpful.  I am going to have a vertical cut as surgeon wants to be able to remove cyst intact.

How did your body react to sudden menopause?

• Posted

I had already been through that so it wasn’t an issue for me. Keep positive. When I came round from op after months of feeling out of sorts I was so pleased that it was over. Any pain or discomfort will soon pass.  My mantra is TTSP - this, too, shall pass. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.