Large painful lump on base of neck/collar bone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a swollen painful lump where my neck meets the right side of my collar bone. I have always had a very tiny hard lump at this spot, that I could pick up and move and was not painful. (It was probably just about a half cm normally) I had noticed that bump probably atleast a year ago but it never changed or got any bigger until a week ago. It started to feel sore six days ago and i noticed it was slightly larger than normal. Usually you couldn't actually see the bump, but now you could see a small bump raised on my collar bone in place of the tiny lump I was used to. Every day since then it has grown and become progressively larger and more painful. I had assumed it was maybe a lymph node because then the same spot on the other side of my neck/collar bone started to feel sore as well, but there is no lump that I can feel there. I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor quickly dismissed it as an infected cyst and gave me a ten day prescription for Amoxicillin (as I'm pregnant and need something safe for baby!) and said to come back if it didn't go away. It's been a day and a half since I started the medicine and the lump is still growing. When the doctor looked at it yesterday she measured the hard part of the lump to be 1.5 by 2.5cm, today I would say it is easily atleast 2x3cm (by trying to measure it in the mirror) and protrudes quite a bit further out than it did yesterday. It is still very painful on both sides of my neck. Is this likely a cyst and it's just taking the medicine a few days to stop the growing? Or did she dismiss it too easily without looking further into it? (In the picture Friday is today, it was first noticed on sunday and I started taking pictures on Monday.)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry the picture didn't attach to the question.. so here it is! 

• Posted

I have the same thing what happened for you? Mine is hurting and it’s red. Did you get it lanced ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.