Large polyp removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having a large polyp removed on Thursday. Will they know straight away if it's cancerous or does it have to be analysed? I'm worried that it's been in me so long and some, I'm told, turn cancerous over time. I'm dreading it, my first colonoscopy was extremely painful even with sedation. Any advice would be great

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had several colooscopies over the last 12 years and during the last one in March 2016 i had 4 polyp removed. The consultant did tell me right away that judging by the appearance of the polyps, and that they weren`t there 2 years beforehand, there was almost definitely nothing to worry about BUT i had to wait several days for the results to come back from the lab to know for sure. When you have the polyp removed i would ask the doctor something like this  "in your experience you must have seen lots of polyps....judging by the size, colour and appearance of it do you think i have anything to worry about". The Doctor may be reluctant to say but it can`t hurt to ask!...although i do stress you will have to wait for the clinical results to come back. With my hospital their policy is "if you don`t hear from us within 2 weeks everything is ok"...i had no follow up appointment as my colonoscopy was just a routine one after 2 bouts of bowel cancer previously...good luck!!!

• Posted

I know how stressful it must be for you...really i DO know!...i hope everything goes well for you. Let me know how you get on...are you in the UK?
  • Posted

How are they removing it?  I had mine colonoscopy two weeks ago an mine was removed at the same time it was 8mm.  It has to be analysed and am still waiting for my results. Mine went well as if I did not have the procedure except I felt a bit drowsy afterwards. Got a letter to ring gp to discuss results and am dreading it.  Good luck for thursday.
  • Posted

Let me tell you that most polyps are non cancerous, so that being said you probably will be fine. I had three removed the smallest being 8mm the next one was 9mm and the largest just over 10mm. None of them were cancerous, but the good doctor said you are lucky that we removed them when we did because they could have turned cancerous. They recommend I come back in two years from now to get rechecked. First I will probably never have another colonoscopy done ever. I had two of these proceedures that went bad. I woke up in pain sceaming for pain medicine and the stupid doctor took his sweet time giving it to me and the next one the doctor said no more medicine I am almost done, well that went on for another 10 to 15 minutes and I felt everything. So, I fired those doctors and never went back. I am at increased risk because I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and because of this I am at a higher risk for bowel perforation, bleeding and pain from a colonoscopy. Even though I am at an increased risk I have no intention of ever having another one done as a result of two incompetant doctors. If you have had a bad experience or in a lot of pain during a colonoscopy, then I would suggest that you tell your doctor that you want to be put out completely in the hospital. If you have trouble they will acomadate you. Seriously, don't be scared of cancer, most polyps are of the non cancerous variety and the doctors like to scare you into believing that your life was saved by them removing it. It is a good idea to remove them as they can cause bleeding and obstruction, but most are not cancerous. My new doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy done two months after the one I just had because she didn't do the last one so she doesn't believe that I have IBD and that is crazy, because I have two that show I do, so sometimes I really get the idea that they view me as a cash cow. It is upsetting that I should have to go through that again just to get medicine to control infallation in my colon. I told her no. I also said I doubt I will have one in two years either. I don't condone what I am doing. It is my choice and you have to decide what is right for you. For me the risks out weight the bennafits,as I am not concerned about colon cancer. Sorry to rant. I feel that you will be ok. Google polyps and you will find out for yourself. Cancer of the colon is usually difficult to detect as it is flat, so in me they take hundreds of biopsies and I bleed a lot after. It is the only way to screen for cancer.

• Posted

Difficult as it may be try not to worry.  Before the procedure let the medics know about your previous painful experience and then ensure that you have adequate sedation and pain relief.  The polyp will be sent for tests to check whether it is cancerous or whether it is not so that result will not be available on the day of your procedure.  Check when it will be known and get contact details, i.e. telephone numbers, names etc so that you can chase up the result.  The doctor/nurse will have seen many polyps and they may be willing to give you an opinion as to whether the polyp is cancerous or not.  The majority of polyps are not cancerous.  You will probably be given a programme of future check ups.  I hope all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.