Laryngitis won't go away after 5 weeks.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Worried sick as i am waiting to have an urgent laryngoscopy.My voice comes and goes and i keep wanting to clear my throat.My doctor thinks it is all viral following a chest infection but i am worried.My voice is stuttering all the time.Any advice please.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry, you still have a voice!  Your vocal cords are very delicate and can be upset for a long time, but they will heal.  Don't try to talk loud or sing.  Let them heal.

Surely they have looked down your throat and know if the vocal cords have a problem?  It took me almost a year for mine to heal after they were damaged in surgery.

• Posted

They have only looked down my throat my looking with a light not the camera yet.They have felt my throat aswell.I can now talk a bit better but i am stuttering my words.Single words are ok but saying a sentence is more difficult.Is this part of the healing process?
  • Posted

Hello m having similar problem for over 5 weeks, my appointment for scopy os not until 20th feb. I am also worried, it so painfull to talk. Also pain gets worse when sleeping, its very paimful to swallow my own saliva.
    • Posted

Good to hear from someone else with similar problem.My appointment was put through as urgent under the 2 week rule.These urgent appointments are for cancer related referrals but even though they don't suspect cancer they wanted a quick appointment as they start to get concerned if you are still suffering after 3 weeks.They still left me to just over 4 weeks before they referred me.I have been off work for 6 weeks now and only signed off until next Mon.I notice that if i do try and talk more than normal then i do get very horse.I had a chest infection for about a week at the start and i don't think all the coughing helped me.I will let you know how i get on with the laryngoscopy.In the mean time try and get an earlier appointment as that is too long to wait.

• Posted

Sorry should of read hoarse.
  • Posted

My husband has had hoarseness/laryngitis since November 17, 2017. We are concerned that it might also be cancer of the larynx but so far the ENT has not mentioned this. He has been diagnosed with laryngeal reflux and has been on Nexium since December 30, 2017. It has not really improved. He had the flexible laryngoscopy on Dec. 29th which showed redness/inflammation on top of the vocal cords. Prior to this he had a balloon sinuplasty on November 8, 2017. His voice was fine before the procedure. Prior to the balloon sinuplasty, he had a chronic sinusitis starting around August 25th, 2017 and was on 4 rounds of antibiotics. We see the ENT again on the 26th for more follow up and more questions.
    • Posted

I had a laryngoscopy on the 22nd.I was dreading the thought of the camera going up my nose and down my throat but it was fine.It was all done within about 5 mins.My vocal cords are fine,all working as they should be but they said they noticed some acid reflux.They told me that there was no reason not to go to work but i have gone back today but on reduced hrs.I can work 10 hr shifts but i am doing 5 hrs for 2 weeks.I am also trying to do jobs that don't involve talking so much.It seemed a long time to work with only a 15 min break and i have come home feeling so shattered.I saw my doctor on Mon to ask about having an endoscopy to check how much problem the acid is further down as my family suffer with it aswell.The problem being is that it is about a 6 week wait or more to have it done.Good luck tomorrow,let me know how you get on.

• Posted

My husband saw the ENT today and the ENT did another laryngoscopy. His larynx has gone from moderate redness/irritation from acid reflux to mild. This is about a 20% improvement in a month after being on prescription Nexium 40 mg in the morning before breakfast. The ENT wants him to add OTC Nexium 20 mg in the evening for a month and will recheck. Once his larynx heals he can start to reduce the Nexium and then eventually take Nexium as needed. If his larynx does not heal then he will recommend the endoscopy and take a biopsy for possible cancer (which he does not think he has). My husband had an endoscopy in 2010 and was diagnosed with GERD. He has cut back on his caffeine, chocolate and wine. The ENT explained they all relax the muscles and allow the acid in the stomach to come back up.
    • Posted

Good news that there is some improvement.I got told straight away with the laryngoscopy that there is no cancer.I don't drink a lot of wine but i do like my coffee and as for cutting down on chocolate well that is a tricky one.We are still eating chocolates from xmas and when they are sitting on my coffee table in front of me how can i say no.Work hasn't been too bad as they have let me do what i want to do.Some people think i sound a bit better today which is good.

I rang the hospital about my endoscopy on Thurs to see how long the wait is and they told me that they haven't got my referral yet but normally when they get it it takes about 6 weeks for an appointment.

• Posted

You said the scope showed acid, were you prescribed anything for the acid reflux. When i went to see the gp over a week ago, i was prescribed ranatadine 150mg twice a day, as gp thinks based on my symptoms maybe acid causing it. I have also been taking gaviscon after meals. But to date it hasnt made a difference. My appointment is on 20th feb, the gp doesnt suspect cancer therefore not doing the 2 week referral.

I just hope i get to the bottom of this as its been over 6 weeks and the constant burning throat and sore larynx/ hoarse is tiring me out, some days its worser than the other but always there, the nights are especially bad for me, and i have woken up choking in few occasions. I am pretty sure it may be acid reflux in my case aswell.

Best of luck to you with the endoscopy, i will let you know what the ent says in my case.

• Posted

Sorry i haven't replied sooner.I wasn't prescribed any medication because you have to stop taking it for a week before an endoscopy.I don't feel that i am suffering with acid but i just want it checked.I only get the acid taste very rarely.I am always bloated and belching a lot.

I still think you need an urgent appointment as that is too long too wait.You could end up doing more harm than good so please get your referral changed.I seem a bit better today as i am talking better but still a little hoarse.I have worked for 3 days on reduced hrs which wasn't too bad except for being really thirsty with only a 15 min break and i have this week on reduced hrs before i go back to normal.I feel very tired but at least i am not coughing just want to clear my throat now and again.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.