LASEK/LASIK after IOL - how accurate and correction options

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have one IOL which was implanted 2 months back with the second implantation due in a weeks time.  I already know the mini mono-vision I am aiming for will require at least one eye tweaked with laser as the first eye was a little too much off target (not myopic enough)

For those that have had a laser correction post IOL, how accurate was that and also is there any issue with increasing myopia versus decreasing it which is the more common change?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm following your discussion as I will need lasik follow up as well. I had lasik done @20 years ago, had multifocal lens installed and still struggling to get clear crisp vision. Lasik enhancement was discussed before cataract surgery. 

• Posted

Had multifocal lens installed. December 2017. 
  • Posted

With the modern equipment and a good surgeon, LASIK should be able to get within 0.25D of the desired target.

I had LASIK enhancement in my right eye about 5 weeks after getting a Symfony Toric lens one year back . The lens had rotated from its installed position causing the vision to be about 20/30. LASIK enhancement improved the vision to 20/15. My vision is still unchanged at 20/15.

Had the cataract surgery in my left eye about 19 years back, with the vision ending up the best at about 26 inches, but some astigmatism. Used a contact lens in that eye for years to get it right for reading (I have used monovision for the last 30+years). Finally, got tired of wearing a contact lens in that eye and had a LASIK correction for that about 3 years back to get to the best focus at about 18 inches (-2.25D). The surgeon achieved that successfully. There has been no noticeable change in that eye since then.

Most LASIK surgeons will do additional corrections, if needed, free for up to 1 year after the first time.

• Posted

Interestingly on my latest visit to the surgeon he commented that laser correction is not suitable for small adjustments, only for errors over 1D as it cannot reliably manage any better than +/- 0.5D.  So your -1.50D to -2.25D was lucky ;-)

Another eye hospital I contacted said +/- 0.25D is commonly achieved especially for smaller adjustments. The usual consistency for everything eye related!

• Posted

Even my right eye was off by only 0.75D spherical equivalent error, for which the LASIK enhancement made a huge improvement.

My LASIK surgeon was comfortable in making a LASIK enhancement for correcting +/- 0.5 D or higher error. He expected to get within 0.25D of the desired target, and he achieved that for both of my eyes.

• Posted

I am so confused. I don’t understand those numbers. -0.50 etc. Does that pertain to distance vision? I had cataract surgery last week after having Lasik 20 years ago. I have a feeling they were off on the power of lens they put in because my distance vision is blurry.  I’m hoping they can fix with laser enhancement but I’m sure its too soon to know. My problem is I cannot drive because I don’t have glasses for distance. No understand how reading glasses work with the + but not the minus numbers 
    • Posted

I think that the main thing you will be happy to know is that if the only thing wrong with your vision is due to the lens power being off, that can be easily corrected with LASIK.

Even if your vision will change a little more over the next month or so, you should consider getting  inexpensive prescription glasses for use over the next 4-5 weeks until you can have LASIK enhancement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.