Laser treatment for sun damage

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just had laser treatment at the dermatologist's for the removal spots and moles on my hands and face. All the affected areas are now a dark eggplant color that I hadn't been warned about. The doctor led me to believe the scabs would slough off in about a week, but it's been close to that and it's obvious there has been absolutely no change. The procedure was relatively painless except around my temples, so when I saw the result it was shocking. Just wondering if anyone else has had this done and how long it took for your skin to look normal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear beverly52803

Don't  know if I can be of any help. In May I had treatment on my nose and at the lower part of my temple, corner of my eye, for solar keratosis. However it was not laser, but they were frozen - a spray - some stinging for a while but bearable. Both turned an aubergine colour but it took 10 to. 15 days for the scabs to fall off and the patches to return to slight pink.

The one on my nose had to be done again a month or so later. No pain there and no deep purple colour second time round. Just pink which disappears in time. 

• Posted

Thanks for your response. He did the freezing as well as the laser. One area that had the freezing has turned pink as you described. The deep color of the lasered areas on my face may be lessening, but there weren't as many as on my hands which really are a sight! There are 25+ scabs on one hand and wrist, some large some small. Were you charged for the return visit?  I believe he said the freezing could be covered by insurance, but I paid out of pocket for the laser. This was a major expense for me.

• Posted

Hi again. I believe we live in different countries. The first time I paid privately as I did nit wasn't to wait till June for treatment when it gets very hot here and the UV is much higher. The second time I had had an appointment at the hospital so it was done under NHS. The private dermatologist advised me to keep the hospital appointment as there might be some residue left and he was right. 

I am certain you can get the money back on health insurance though. Solar Kratosis is classified as dangerous if left there. I believe my dermatologist mentioned it could turn cancerous in the space of ten years, so it is a necessary treatment. (I had left mine girl 6 years at least, as I was afraid of the pain. But it was not really painful at all, quite bearable in fact.)

re the black dots on your hand they will fall off and the pink  will return to almost skin colour in time. 

• Posted

Sorry re mistakes -predictive text. Line 2 should read 'I did not want to wait till June'. Line 10 should read 'I had left mine for 6 years....'

• Posted

I don't believe mine was solar keratosis. (I think that's pre-canerous). The doctor said I had primarily "sun damage, nothing to worry about and easily removed" (but getting very unsightly IMO). I had a small patch of seborrheic keratoses near my hairline that he treated with the spray of liquid nitrogen. That area healed and now looks fairly normal. I also had a patch of red skin between my eyebrows that another dermalogist said was the SK, but this doctor said was sun damage. He also used the LN on that and it looks less red now. The small raised "moles" on my face he treated with laser. Those are beginning to rub off, but a larger one remains. What were brown spots on my hands (now the color of eggplant..nothing is black) are fairly disconcerting as some are 1/2 inch in size & it's been 9 days. Have been putting petroleum jelly on all as instructed. Wish the doctor was more forthright on what to expect. The nurse has since told me it takes several weeks to fade "if it works".

• Posted

I had laser treatment a few years ago.

The black 'freckles' faded after a few weeks.

I looked like I was covered in permanent black marker until then.

Concealer helped but didn't cover them completely.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.