Last minute fears - 6 days away from surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am now getting emails from concerned friends that bunionectomies are too dangerous, often fail, and are worse than living with the bunion...I have a surgeon that I trust implicity; my bunion is causing hammertoes - 1 so far on next toe; next toes will become them, also.  I have arthritis in my big toe - the longer I wait, the less stable will any pinning be done...in fact, my left foot, which is the one, now requires a more complicated wedge (US term) to cut bone at the bottom of my toe because the easier (Austin) with quicker recovery cannot be pinned into the arthritic top part of the big toe bone (whatever it is called) - I have been with my doctor for 10 years - I got orthotics, babied my feet with clunky expensive orthotic shoes from New Zealand and Germany...my achilles will be cut also because I have a bone spur and my heel does not come down as far as the front of my toe...my surgeon was trained at John Hopkins...my latest friend wrote: "Susan, have your bunions hurt terribly for a long time? I have unattractive bunions due to heredity and wearing shoes that were apparently too small in earlier years, but my doctor told me that it would be better to not have surgery on them and stay in good shoes that don't hurt them rather than having the surgery, as long as they don't hurt, which they do not. I hate to tell you this, but I've heard that the surgery oftentimes doesn't work and you still have a problem afterwords. I was just concerned for you."  Reassurance anyone?  Thanks, Susan

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You've made a positive decision with the right choice of surgeon for you so don't worry, understandable, but really no need for last minute wavers, it's strange that the operation has somehow has gained a far worse reputation than the actuality. There's plenty of us here who are very happy with their recovery and new feet, so much so I can't wait to have my second foot done!!! And as others here have said, plan, organise and endure those first couple of weeks of elevation, it's certainly worth it to aid your recovery. Enjoy dreaming of online shoe shopping in your twilight state! Wish you well Susan. 
    • Posted

Bee, thank you for your words of encouragement.
  • Posted

Just looking in before I go to bed.   Ask yourself this - if you were to take notice of your 'concerened friends' and put this operation off would you regret it?  I think the answer would be 'yes' because you have come so far and gave it a lot of thought e.g. research, surgeon, questions, planning for after operation and THIS site. 

We are all individual and have our own minds, and so do our feet!, the state of our feet have brought us to this point in our lives.  We are not doing it for cosmetic reasons - we are doing it because at this point in time we are so fortunate to have this surgery available. 

Whenever we are able to make a decision voluntarily surely it is always hard?  No-one puts themselves through this for fun - it is to correct deformities.  So Susan think of all those treats and those excercises - I feel worn out to think I should do them when my turn comes.

Anyway I am off for consultation tomorrow and have my list of questions.  First one on list can I have a general anesthetic - I don't want to be awake.   

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Gilly - let's report in - I will be back from my surgeon's consultation tomorrow Monday, noon Central time zone in the US.  I believe I have to go with their anesthetic, which is not general, but I will ask, also.  and Gilly I cannot turn back on this decision now; I have thought it through - 90 percent of people have supported me...
    • Posted

There is a reason why they are not going with general, you can look it up
    • Posted

Hi Irina - the reason I am asking is because when I saw a orthopedic surgeon specialing in foot ankle surgery in 2006 he said I would have a general anesthetic - without me asking.  I thought it might be because of my foot deformity.

So now I am seeing a podiatric surgeon it will be interesting what he says when I ask the question.

What I do think is it is great that we are all able to discuss this 'before/after' rather than be in our own little bubble with just the surgeon and ourselves. 

• Posted

I see, Gilly.

of course, it's the choice of your doctor and may be he has reasons for this.

Usially, they don't do general. So, anesthesia influence only your feet, not whole body.

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am now 3rd week after op.  It seems a lifetime since, but my cup us half full so am looking forward to recovery.  My surgeon was very blunt before the op, he told me all the things that could go wrong, the length of time for recovery and how painful it would be.  But I still went ahead.  Before the op I can remember having my doubts, my inner self was saying do you really want to go through this and that was right up to when I was in the anesthetists room before surgery!  But my other self kept saying, if you chicken out now then at your age (I'm 70 at end of year!) you'll never have it done and so suffer for rest of life.

I was lucky to have my bed in living room, and loo fairly close to this room, so from the first day I spent all day in recliner and just sleep in the bed.  You will need extra pillows or cushions on your recliner to raise your foot, and I started with a wedge pillow for my foot in bed, but ended with one pillow.  I still rest my foot on a pillow in my bed, so much more comfortable and soothing for it.  

Im getting around a bit more now, even cleaned the kitchen surfaces this morning, my husband has been wonderful but he does go as far as cleaning them and sink as much as it needs ;-).    But on my wedge shoe for half hour or so was too much, so am now back on my recliner with foot up.   

So my advice is: you have already made up your mind to have the op so go ahead, you are very well prepared so enjoy your break, look at it as a holiday to do what you want in the comfort of your recliner.  Keep the foot raised for at least 2 weeks and then every time you sit down.  Listen to your foot.  

My stitches and dressing are off on Wednesday, so looking forward to the next stage of my recovery.  Good luck, it will be good.

• Posted

Barbara, in my consultation with the surgeon and my husband was there, my surgeon at that time did not talk hardly at all about the reality of the operation. none of:  what could go wrong, the length of time for recovery and how painful it would be.  SO Today when I see him 5 days before op, I have a long list of questions for him...I will see how the wedge works in bed; and hey, if it ends up being a pillow, whatever works and is comfortable...at 3 weeks after op, supposedly I can "weight bear", but as you point out, maybe just a little bit at a time...Good luck with your removal of stitches and dressing... I will try to just keep going these 5 days, and ignore the anxiety as much as possible, since I am going ahead, regardlesss...thank you very much.
    • Posted

Also I just wanted to say that at 3 1/2 weeks I could walk without the boot and in a tennis shoe. Now it's 5 weeks and I'm wearing my old shoe! My right foot of course is now feeling the surgery pain of the left. smile not as much because I'm walking everywhere. 
    • Posted

Susan, don't do it for yourself, they told you common things.

i like the idea of sticker, you see, how special you are!

Be busy and prepare yourself to be a queen!

this is my image relaxing- gift from the husband, I have almost the same pants!

• Posted

Irina, LOL, thank you - that made me laugh - yes I need to keep this image in mind and have my husband wait on me, hand and foot.  Yes, I do feel special...
  • Posted

I got my left foot done a month ago and now day 3 for my right foot!! I would say my left foot is free from that yucky, aching, gross bunion feeling!!! It still has its surgery pain but other than that it's great! The faster you get them done the better. I'm 27 now and have been waiting years to finally get this surgery! Can't believe its all done! Trust me you will most likely love the results! So much better than all that unnecessary pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.