Lasting Dietary Restrictions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed about 15 hours ago. How did your diet change in the long term after your GB removal? What foods did you have to cut out of your diet because they simply weren't worth the distress they cause? What foods have you come to appreciate post-GB removal that you didn't before?

I work as a chef and I've never really had to think about dietary restrictions until now. I don't really know what to expect and it's making me a little nervous. I appreciate your input.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Had mine out on April 10 this year. I am finding I can't eat ice cream. Just makes my stomach queasy. And red meat is somewhat difficult to digest for me. Also I do like salad but I just can't have a really big one as the lettuce might be too much.

My GI doc told me I should eat Greek yogurt for the rest of my life. So every afternoon around 2:00 I have a bowl and add a few walnuts and a touch of honey or applesauce. That is very new for me. I might have had it once a week if that.

Just today I really thought I should keep a food journal and bought a notebook to keep track for a while noting my weight, etc.

I wish I had done it right after surgery.

I think too for me I eat 6 small meals a day and that is different than what I did before.

Love to hear what others have done.

• Posted

Mine was removed two weeks ago today. I lost 4 kg n hospital but that was because I had to wait 4 days before they could fit me in and had to fast until about 9 pm each day. Then begin fasting again from 2 am. My symptoms disappeared but the surgeon said a blockage of the duct could easily happen again, so they took it out. To answer your question, I was advised to eat small meals of soft food to begin. Yoghurt too, but I do that anyway. Now I am eating normally, probably too much and do find things like pie pastry etc hard to digest. I used to eat ice cream every day but it doesn't appeal now. Maybe I am 'listening to my body.' I'd be interested in other experiences as well. And I haven't put the weight back on. Yet. 

• Posted

I have lost weight too. --11 pounds but have put back on only 2-3 pounds. I definitely eat smaller portions now.
  • Posted

Hi

Had my gallbladder out February 4th via open surgery and had to have liver resection five weeks later. I'm feeling so much better.

I was advised to eat a low fat diet before the surgery to help control the symptoms and it did help. I'm still watching what I eat. I find I can tolerate small amounts of fat in one go, but I wouldn't like to try going to an Indian restaurant. I've tried pizza, fish and chips (batter removed and only small portion), Chinese fried rice and sweet and sour chicken with no problems. Chilli con carne upset my stomach- too spicy? Hence avoiding curries at moment. The strangest issue I have is with pineapple. Can't eat it in any form- not fresh, not tinned and not dried or candied. Always though pineapple was good for digestion?

My appetite was affected. In fact that was the first symptom I had, even before the pains, but it is returning. Just after surgery, I would order food then when it arrived, I just couldn't eat it. It felt like my stomach was going to burst even though I'd not eaten for days. When I was discharged I had a craving for prawn cocktail and my husband found low fat versions (we've eaten a lot of M&S count on us meals I'm afraid as I wasn't up to cooking and it saved husband time).

At moment, three months post op, I'm eating healthily and avoiding anything too fatty. I also can't eat large meals or the feeling my stomach will burst comes back.

As you're a chef, I do find eating out problematic. I scan the menu and find only one or two items are suitable. There seems to be a chips with everything mentality or everything is cooked in butter. Ordered grilled chicken with mashed potato the other day to find the potato came with a well of melted garlic butter, so even what seems innocuous, often isn't.

I hope you make a full recovery from your surgery.

• Posted

hi,my gb removed end of 2016,always eaten quite heathy , can eat anything ,but would say to you, cut out on fatty/greasy  meals,this is for good health anyway, all best,  ps.  dont lift anything heavy or move akward,you can damage your self internally, your surgeon will tell you this,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.