lasting nervous system damage due to longterm use of venlafaxine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking venlafaxine 300mg for well over 10 years, am currently on a withdrawal programme.

I was told that it was possible that there may be permanent damage to my nervous system as a result of taking this drug for so long.

Does anybody know anything about this or has anyone suffered lasting effects?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too had been taking venlafaxine for 8 years fluctuating from 75/150mg. 

I came off them December last year and since 3 of my teeth have had to be extracted - I always had healthy teeth and I have been experiencing awful panic attacks since - I am now taking 20mg of citalopram to counteract that’s an fortunately it seems to be easing off. But what’s causing these panics is pain I am getting in my upper back/shoulder blade and chest all in one general area, at first I immediately thought it was my heart then lungs and now I believe I could also have nerve damage, I feel permanently ruined by taking this drug - something that helped me has left me with these what seem to be permanent side effects. I’m a bit angry about it all. 

• Posted

I am still angry  -  nearly 7 years after I withdrew from venlafaxine ... the first time.  I have yet to bring myself to write down or record anywhere online the extent of the severity and longevity of my hellish withdrawal experience.  I was on 150mg about 6-7 years.  At my request to come off,  I was brought down to zero mg in 5 days. I myself knew no better - then.  Longer story short I had to be reinstated on that drug.  The next time I attempted to withdraw - I now no longer remember what the timeframe of that taper was - but I remember plunging back into hell.  This included feeling as though my lungs were burning and also having a slamming heart.    I was then forced on to a stronger drug  -  with a much longer half life  - which the doctor eventually weaned me slowly down from.  I went on to this site to see if others are troubled by pheripheal neuropathy type problems.  Currently I’m dealing with paresthesia down my left leg -  and into my groin.  I had - among many other nasty symptoms -  a massive amount of  paresthesia in the full blown withdrawal stages. This is common I have learned.  CNS  damage is not uncommon with this drug I have read.   Millions of people have been left angry  from their experiences with the whole class of drugs effectively marketed as  “antidepressant  medications“.    I have done a vast amount of research since the beginning of being put through the medical system hell and my world has changed.   I have found a very deep level of cynicism  and I truly hate the drug industry.    It is very much their standard practice to release what they know to be dangerous drugs onto the market  -  and to push them “off label”  for every possible reason they can get away with.  Their corruption knows no bounds -  all easy to find out with thorough research.    I am avoiding western medical doctors as much as possible for the rest of the days I have left.   My best wishes to you in the hope that you fully heal  from the damage  caused by venlafaxine.   The world needs to be familiar with the word iatrogenesis -  because there are millions of people  suffering from that condition  without even realising it.  

• Posted

Hi Riabird how did you manage ? I have just came across this site did you get nervous system damage or where you ok , If not did you get anything to help with damage that you could please share with me thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.