Lasting shingles pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I'm 7 weeks into this my shingles seem to be clearing up but the prickly nerve pain is worse and the swelling is awful. I have it around my left rib cage from my back to under left breast. I had broken those ribs a couple years back and they settled in right there. I'm swollen terrible. Anyone else have severe swelling? Any suggestions? Been on 300 mil of gabapentin 3 times a day and ain't touching the pain or swelling. I've taken naproxen ibuprofen and aspirin no results. Just frustrated! Extremely tired and depressed. Looking for suggestions please!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Marcia your doctor needs to give you narcotics and anti-vitals. I have had shingles twice and am fighting them off with the antiviral med constantly. They are coming out soon in the US with a new shingles shot and I am getting it. Please keep us posted. If they give you trouble on pain pills tell you the opioid epedemic is not your problem and you need pain meds now!!!! Diane
  • Posted

Hi Marcia. Sorry to hear of your suffering. I too have had shingles diagnosed last July. Mine went from my lower back down my groin and my thigh. I have swelling in my groin and still have burning pain and tingling down my thigh. I was on pregabalin for six weeks and felt I was getting better so I weaned my self off even though I had odd days with the symptoms. Now after being off them for about six weeks I am getting the burning pain back again. I’m thinking of going back on it. It is also called Lyrica . I take xstrength Tylonal for the discomfort but I’m having it every day now rather than occasionally as I was on the medication,  I also take Vitamins C, B12, D plus my multivitamin  and Lysine.   I read a book called What works and What doesn’t for shingles relief. By Alan Novarc. I found it very informative as doctors don’t really know what to do. As you read the comments on this forum you will find that the shingles virus acts different on each individual. Some are over it in  a few weeks and others have HPN for months and years. Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery 
  • Posted

Hi Marcia!

I am sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, individuals with real pain are made to suffer due to the Opioid epidemic.

I would use cold compresses/ice wrapped in a thin towel to the area several times a day. Heat usually makes things worse.

Some individuals use Solarcaine with Aloe or Bactine. Both contain Lidocaine which numbs the nerve endings.

I use Auroguard in my ear. It contains Benzocaine and is soothing to my eardrum and ear canal, along with Topiramate, an anticonvulsant similar to Gabapentin, and oxycodone.

I am also on Venlafaxine, an SNRI antidepressant. Either the SNRI Cymbalta or Venlafaxine can be added to the Gabapentin to decrease the Neuralgia.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles un my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

I hope I have helped you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Gabapentin never worked well for me and had side effects. I take lysine and turmeric regularly ( I have reoccurring shingles). Also take tramadol until pain subsides. I put francense oil on rash. Eating clean really helps and trying not to stress. Hope you feel better soon. G
  • Posted

I am so sorry for your suffering❤ I am treating mine with food and supplements only. I am not recommending that for you because it is a gamble, but you can do the western approach along with natural methods and get benefits from both. Once you have the pain under control you can go off the meds and stick with the diet and supp to keep it under control. If you are interested private message me. God bless.
  • Posted

Hey Marcia. I totally understand your dilemma. I am now into the 6 th week of shingles. Just like you I am dealing with the intense pain! Mine is around my waistline and abdomen front to back on right side. Dr did prescribe Norco which I have used sparingly but not because I didn't need it!!  So I try to save it for bedtime . Cannot take Gabapentin due to adverse effects. Advil works better than Alleve for me and I take that in daytime. Ice packs do bring some relief. Also have used aspercreme gel with lidocaine but it doesn't last 30 minutes. So I'm about out of options other than waiting. This is not my first rodeo with pain but it is definitely the worst kind I have ever experienced in my life!! 

Know that you are not alone in your struggle. I will pray for both of us. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.