Latanoprost is hell!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,I was recently put on Latanoprost once a day 2 months ago.Up unto about a few days ago I didn't have any of the side effects.My neck hurts and I have flu like symptoms as it said might occur.This Is so unbearable I decided to stop my meds for a day and further more until u can get a walk in appointment with my doctor.Im so depressed cause this drug dropped my pressures down by 8 points in both eyes.Has anyone else experienced this and if so,what other meds did the doctor put you on that actually worked?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem.  There are a variety of side effects of the drug and so far I have only experienced scratchiness and occasionally a closing of one eyelid.  These symptoms do eventually clear.

In your case you should not necessarily make a correlation between Latanoprost and your symptoms:  it could indeed be something like flu, so wait until your doctor tells you otherwise.

• Posted

I am using these eye drops.cant say I noticed a sore neck, or flu symptoms. ,but it does give me stuffy nose, and mild headache...and I feel lightheaded at times...not sure if its the eye drops, thats causing this I have constant Anxiety.so I would be lightheaded anyway..its hard to know...my vision is blurred, and my ears are buzzing..I will use them another while ,to see what happens...let me know how you get on..x
  • Posted

I've been using these for years without any side effects.    I think you probably have flu as you started the Latanaprost  2 months ago and havent had any symptoms until now.

• Posted

You might want to try Zioptan which is preservative free.  It has to be refrigerated and comes in individual one use vials.  It can be expensive.   I live in the States and have good insurance - a 3 month supply is $105 through mail order.   Good luck.   I'm going for eye surgery tomorrow....to try and stop the progression.   All drops have side effects and the longer you use them, they can actually damage your ocular surface, etc.   Am getting a Cypass implant with Micropulse...it was just approved in the USA, but has been done globally for a while.  Not as scary as a trab.....I wouldn't be able to handle that.    Good luck to you.   Best,  Susan

• Posted

I live in the UK and am served(!) by our National Health Service. Believing that the Latanoprost drops which were kept cool in the fridge were causing some side-effects, I was persuaded to take single-dose preserve-free  Latanoprost.  Paradoxically, these do not need to be in the fridge as there is little risk of contamination. This works well - and nightly I gain a small pleasure from twisting the head off a phial.
  • Posted

Hi,thanks everyone for responding.I think maybe I might have caught the flu like a commenter had mentioned.I had the symptoms associated with the side effects and my neck pain was the worst!I got scared and went off the drops for 2 days to see if I'd get better and I started to feel better.I got back on them and still was feeling better and I'm back at work right now as I'm typing..lol.I work in a hospital so it's likely I might have picked up something from work or just public transportation perhaps.Since I'm feeling better back on the drops,my only conclusion is that it had to be the flu!I read that 4% of people experience flu like symptoms ,fatigue,sweats and I was scared I was in the minority.I guess I'm all good once I'm 100% finished with these sniffles and coughing.Thanks everyone for responding.I don't know anyone else with glaucoma and if I did(I'm new to being glaucoma suspect),everyone's case is different and so are there meds.Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.